Paging BUBear...

Yet Gundy has tapped out and reached his ceiling in Stillwater. Who saw Holgy leaving WVU for Houston?
Gundy is making nice money at Little Brother and they are happy with his 8-9 wins a year. Of course, if someone shows interest, they give him another raise and continue the cycle. The Vols did that last I think.

Huepel would be the best of the lot. Bob had to sacrifice someone in '14 when we had that down year and he got the short stick. It got us Lincoln so that worked out in the end.
I tend to agree with you but he would jump ship the first chance he got to return to Norman.

Do you think Venables has any interest in heading his own program? Is he waiting for any particular scool (s) to call?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
He was about to get canned wasn’t he?
He had probably one season left to get over the hump. Now that Pickens is dead the question becomes how much longer does Gundy have left? Baylor's new president, and her husband, played basketball at Oklahoma State and Gundy has shown interest in the job on two separate occasions.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
He had probably one season left to get over the hump. Now that Pickens is dead the question becomes how much longer does Gundy have left? Baylor's new president, and her husband, played basketball at Oklahoma State and Gundy has shown interest in the job on two separate occasions.
Gundry has shown interest in every job. He had “interest” in us twice. He likes pay raises.

I tend to agree with you but he would jump ship the first chance he got to return to Norman.

Do you think Venables has any interest in heading his own program? Is he waiting for any particular scool (s) to call?
As a head coach, you bet Huepel would love to come back to Norman. But Stoops still has a lot of say in that program as well as who is the head coach. Remember, he hand picked Lincoln as his successor and he has the AD's ear when it comes to things like that.

As for Venables, it was thought at one point he was going to be the heir apparent to Stoops. Bob bringing back in his brother seemed to change that as I felt Venables had rightfully earned his spot as DC and not sharing it with anyone. He's making good money in Clemson and seems content as the power behind the scenes. I was surprised when he passed on KSU and TT. Who knows what he will do.

Reactions: VolnJC and BUBear
Gundry has shown interest in every job. He had “interest” in us twice. He likes pay raises.
Well, that's true but has he ever coached or lived in Knoxville. Have life long friends there? Have friends at the highest level of administration at Tennessee?

I'm not lobbying for the guy here. I hope Dr Livingstone allows the AD to do his job and select the right coach for Baylor. I personally don't think Gundy is the right guy but he certainly has a foot in the door.

Last edited:
Coach Holder won't fire him. He knows they aren't going to get anyone better especially since they compete for recruits against us in Norman. They fire him and it'll be a revolving coaching door like we saw with UT after they let Mack Brown go. They aren't going to get anyone worth a damn who can coach up 3 star talent like Gundy does.

Reactions: BUBear
Baylor needs to interview Butch Jones;):D

As a head coach, you bet Huepel would love to come back to Norman. But Stoops still has a lot of say in that program as well as who is the head coach. Remember, he hand picked Lincoln as his successor and he has the AD's ear when it comes to things like that.

As for , it was thought at one point he was going to be the heir apparent to Stoops. Bob bringing back in his brother seemed to change that as I felt Venables had rightfully earned his spot as DC and not sharing it with anyone. He's making good money in Clemson and seems content as the power behind the scenes. I was surprised when he passed on KSU and TT. Who knows what he will do.
I can't agree with this more. That always seemed messed up to me.

As for the Tech job, Venables was wise to run far and fast away from that job IMO.

He was interviewing for NFL jobs even after that season. He’s been on the NFL HC radar for a few years
Yep. The Giants are his dream job (he grew up in NYC). That's why Carolina gave him that crazy azz contact.

Side note: He was Oregon's first choice but God ($$$) called him to Waco.

I can't agree with this more. That always seemed messed up to me.

As for the Tech job, Venables was wise to run far and fast away from that job IMO.
Venables was a huge loss in my opinion. I do have high hopes for Grinch since he's young and hungry. Plus, he has experience in the SEC, Big 12 and Pac 12. If the Sooners get their act together on defense, ain't nobody going to stop us. That's still a year or so away with another good recruiting class.

TT will become the new Kansas. Good in basketball, sucking at football.

Coach Holder won't fire him. He knows they aren't going to get anyone better especially since they compete for recruits against us in Norman. They fire him and it'll be a revolving coaching door like we saw with UT after they let Mack Brown go. They aren't going to get anyone worth a damn who can coach up 3 star talent like Gundy does.
Another question for you. Is Mordecai going to stick around? The rumor around Waco was that he was headed to Arkansas until the Shiite hit the fan there.

Recruiting Waco was always a problem for Rhule. Now those two kids from LaVega are going to Stillwater.

VN Store

Back