PAC 12 exploring 9am kickoff times

It would be interesting to see how many fans would show up for a UCLA home game at 9 am. They only drew 38,391 to the Rose Bowl (capacity 90,888) for a noon kickoff vs Stanford last November.

Reactions: 508mikey
It’s obvious they’re trying to get more exposure on the east coast. But who in their right mind would want to go to a 9:00 AM game? Imagine if UT had a 9:00 AM kickoff. The atmosphere would be dead.

I love watching Pac-12 games at night. No other football games on and Wash State, Wash, Oregon, and Stanford at night are all pretty exciting normally. Makes absolutely no sense to have 9AM games. All they'd be doing is putting themselves in a losing competition with the Big 10 and SEC while alienating their core audience.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of a 9am kick off for the PAC-12. This is a bad idea, lets just win some decent non-conference games and the rest will take care of it's self.

Reactions: miket4god
Here’s something that is a little out of left field....

Explore a Sunday late afternoon game on FS1. Obviously it will play against the NFL, but having 1 game on a Sunday might be worth a shot. I actually thought watching UGA vs USCjr last year on a Sunday was a cool change of pace. If you keep the headliners on Saturdays at normal times and have 1 Sunday game a week for a mid level game it might create some interest. Can’t be that much worse than a 9am kickoff going against the SEC, B1G, ACC and Big 12 kickoffs.

Explore a Sunday late afternoon game on FS1. Obviously it will play against the NFL, but having 1 game on a Sunday might be worth a shot. I actually thought watching UGA vs USCjr last year on a Sunday was a cool change of pace. If you keep the headliners on Saturdays at normal times and have 1 Sunday game a week for a mid level game it might create some interest. Can’t be that much worse than a 9am kickoff going against the SEC, B1G, ACC and Big 12 kickoffs.
I would watch that game if offered.

Fox's contract with the NFL won't allow for that.

Reactions: TrueOrange
I actually like seeing the PAC 12 games late at night

Same here. I usually stay up late on Saturdays, especially during football season. I love still having games on to watch that late, them and some of the Mountain West games. And as was already said in here, that's the only way I'd likely ever watch some of these matchups. I mean the only way I'm normally going to watch a Fresno St/Wyoming match up is if it's on at 10:00 PM on a Saturday night (or Friday).

Actually if I'm really feeling awake, I like when Hawaii has home games that don't kick off until midnight here.

How about ESPN2 or U?

Same. ESPN's deal for Monday Night Football allows for a couple of mid-major bowls to be scheduled against late season NFL games, but that's it. And ESPN doesn't always exercise that option because it simply results in lower ratings for the bowl game.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Same. ESPN's deal for Monday Night Football allows for a couple of mid-major bowls to be scheduled against late season NFL games, but that's it. And ESPN doesn't always exercise that option because it simply results in lower ratings for the bowl game.
PAC12 sorry I tried
49C286E9-4F07-481E-8574-28DB40EB07DC.gif

VN Store

Back