Pac 12/Big 12 Merger?

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
It was everywhere yesterday and was being said to be a crazy ideal by most but is it?? Everyone knows we're heading to 2 or 3 mega conference landscape with the SEC and B1G and one more conference. UCLA and USC have already left and word is Stanford, Washington, Oregon and maybe Cal are likely to leave for the B1G. Joining forces with the Big 12 who could try to raid some more ACC teams seems like their best option to be able to compete.

It was everywhere yesterday and was being said to be a crazy ideal by most but is it?? Everyone knows we're heading to 2 or 3 mega conference landscape with the SEC and B1G and one more conference. UCLA and USC have already left and word is Stanford, Washington, Oregon and maybe Cal are likely to leave for the B1G. Joining forces with the Big 12 who could try to raid some more ACC teams seems like their best option to be able to compete.
yeah, I could see them trying to merge to the first real mega conference just to try and get ahead of the curve.

Just a quick thought on what a possible B1g 12/Pac 10 merger could look like..........This includes adding a few other schools

Cal
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado
Washington State
Washington
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Florida State
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Boise State
San Diego State
UNLV

Just a quick thought on what a possible B1g 12/Pac 10 merger could look like..........This includes adding a few other schools

Cal
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado
Washington State
Washington
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Florida State
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Boise State
San Diego State
UNLV
The B1G would have to change their stance on academics for that to happen. Louisville and UWV have made a killing on taking kids that could not academically get into SEC programs.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I think the super conference concept needs to respect geography. SEC is fun because you can visit rival stadiums, you have friends and acquaintances that are fans of rival teams, teams recruit common areas, and so forth.

Why does the average TxTech fan care about Washington State? It seems like some super conferences are going to have a lot of games that aren’t very interesting.

If the Big 10 wants to entice Notre Dame they really have to go after Stanford. Notre Dame's TV deal is up soon so they have some decisions to make. Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon and Washington make alot of sense to me. Notre Dame would have natural rivals USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue all in the same conference. These teams leave the Pac-10/12, than that league is toast. Leftovers can join the Big 12 and all that is left is ACC.

If the Big 10 wants to entice Notre Dame they really have to go after Stanford. Notre Dame's TV deal is up soon so they have some decisions to make. Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon and Washington make alot of sense to me. Notre Dame would have natural rivals USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue all in the same conference. These teams leave the Pac-10/12, than that league is toast. Leftovers can join the Big 12 and all that is left is ACC.
Notre Dame to the B1G makes too much sense if Stanford joined. They would then have everything they would or should want with a conference affiliation. I think the Universities mission statement talks about spreading Notre Dame’s ideology from coast to coast. That would give them that. From Maryland, New Jersey to California and a lot of flyover states in between. I think the B1G has already positioned themselves with NBC to make that a possibility.

I think this might be the way that the B1G is heading.

They don't have a Conference Commissioner at the moment so that is slowing things down but a lot of rumors are saying Oregon and Washington already have a deal to enter the B1G.

I kind of like what the B1G has done. They are creating a nationwide media market and tied up all the over the air networks. I have been following the SEC since the early 1960's but ole Sankey has been playing checkers while the B1G is playing chess. He has boxed us in on cable only stations and that is not good exposure for the SEC as people are cutting the cord.

I would not be surprised to see the B1G to start looking at GT or even Tulane, both who have high academic standards and are in above average media markets. I would even put a feeler out to aTm since they got hoodoo'ed by Texas again. The B1G payout is higher than they could get in the SEC.

Needs to be just 4 even power conferences instead of 5 so I think the PAC 12 and big 12 will definitely merge together
im for 4 Super Conferences of 16 Power 5 football teams each. Cull the rest including ND if they refuse to join a conference.
In the playoff, the 4 conference champions get a first round bye in the 12 team playoff.
Teams 5-8 host first round games against 9-12 teams.
The biggest bowls then get to host and rotate the quarterfinals, semifinals, and title game.
The money will be incredible. All 64 schools will share it with the 12 teams in playoffs getting bigger shares.

Reactions: Voldog1998
I haven't been a fan of any of the conference realignment. I loved the days of conferences being regional.

However, there is no going back, so the power brokers might as well do what they are going to do and get it done. My question is will they ever be satisfied once it all settles. Will they continue to invite programs until its only the Big 10 and SEC standing? Where does it end?

I haven't been a fan of any of the conference realignment. I loved the days of conferences being regional.

However, there is no going back, so the power brokers might as well do what they are going to do and get it done. My question is will they ever be satisfied once it all settles. Will they continue to invite programs until its only the Big 10 and SEC standing? Where does it end?
When a conference can no longer extend its media foot print it ends

I kind of like what the B1G has done. They are creating a nationwide media market and tied up all the over the air networks. I have been following the SEC since the early 1960's but ole Sankey has been playing checkers while the B1G is playing chess. He has boxed us in on cable only stations and that is not good exposure for the SEC as people are cutting the cord.

I would not be surprised to see the B1G to start looking at GT or even Tulane, both who have high academic standards and are in above average media markets. I would even put a feeler out to aTm since they got hoodoo'ed by Texas again. The B1G payout is higher than they could get in the SEC.

I have no love lost for Greg ””Pfizer” Sankey, but your post is laughable. How much TV money will the Big 12 bring in per school compared to the SEC? Next step for Sankey will be swallowing up the ACC and bring in Clemson for football and Duke & UNC for hoops.

I've never been a fan of it myself. Hearing that UCLA and USC are going to the Big 10 is still one I can't get my head around. Yes, LA is a huge market and a lot of money for conferences... I guess when you hear of traditional schools in certain conferences changing that have been apart of said conference for as long as the conference has existed, it surprises you (at least me anyway,but I'm one of those that likes tradition and am a bit old school. Texas and Oklahoma are going to be in the SEC. I'm not naive and totally get the reasoning (You'd be crazy if you're a school that doesn't want to take advantage of conference realignment)... Just offering my take on it. Pandora's Box has been opened and nobody is closing it.

Not sure I agree with your assessment. I work in the broadcast media industry. The SEC has tied itself to ESPN aka Disney which also owns over the air ABC and the largest ABC owned and operated stations in NY, LA, Atlanta and San Fran to name a few. ESPN is the largest sports streamer in the US and BTW Disney also owns some of the largest sports over the air stations/streaming platforms in other populous countries. Disney can write the checks and at end of day will put the SEC marque games on whichever brodcast/stream platform will make the most money each week.

I have no love lost for Greg ””Pfizer” Sankey, but your post is laughable. How much TV money will the Big 12 bring in per school compared to the SEC? Next step for Sankey will be swallowing up the ACC and bring in Clemson for football and Duke & UNC for hoops.

I don’t like Sankey either but choosing ESPN aka Disney is actually the right choice here. ESPN will lose more professional sports moving forward as they are being outbid by Apple and Amazon Prime in the short term so DISNEY will have to be the owner of College sports or they will have no sports content for their ESPN Sports property or their Wide World of Sports over the air product.

I've never been a fan of it myself. Hearing that UCLA and USC are going to the Big 10 is still one I can't get my head around. Yes, LA is a huge market and a lot of money for conferences... I guess when you hear of traditional schools in certain conferences changing that have been apart of said conference for as long as the conference has existed, it surprises you (at least me anyway,but I'm one of those that likes tradition and am a bit old school. Texas and Oklahoma are going to be in the SEC. I'm not naive and totally get the reasoning (You'd be crazy if you're a school that doesn't want to take advantage of conference realignment)... Just offering my take on it. Pandora's Box has been opened and nobody is closing it.

I feel the same way. Would love for the dust to finally settle and be able to get used to all of the changes. Seems like once things start to settle, then there is more realignment. I miss the good old days.

giphy.gif

Cal
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado
Washington State
Washington
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Florida State
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Boise State
San Diego State
UNLV
That would be ridiculous.

Reactions: Pennheel
If I was the Big XII, I'd tell CU to GFTS.
I get it, but I guess if they think there’s value you have to take them. I think it would be great if Nebraska went back too, but of course they never would with all of the $ in the B1G. Nebraska in the B1G and Colorado in the PAC 12 never seemed right . I hate that we’re getting away or have gotten away from regional rivalries.

I get it, but I guess if they think there’s value you have to take them. I think it would be great if Nebraska went back too, but of course they never would with all of the $ in the B1G. Nebraska in the B1G and Colorado in the PAC 12 never seemed right . I hate that we’re getting away or have gotten away from regional rivalries.
To me, a piece of college football died when Oklahoma and Nebraska stopped playing every year. That was a Thanksgiving weekend must see game for decades.

VN Store

Back