P5 Baseball Programs propose changes in 2022

preacherman20

Playing games in February is not ideal for much of the country obviously. Begin the season when the weather is better and you are competing against basketball for less of the season seems to make sense. Would think overall attendance would improve.

One drawback, I don't want to go to Omaha in July.

You said no Omaha, not me. I'm not sure what hell feels like but Memphis in July has gotta be close to it. Bring on Omaha.

I know, I mean't I don't want to deal with that heat and humidity. No way it can be worse than Memphis. I have been in Miami two years and I still consider 80 degrees hot.

These guys are delusional if they think moving the season back will increase revenue. The reason there are only 11.7 scholarships and an additional coach hasn't been approved is simply because the NCAA is trying to maintain an even playing field so a small school like Stetson can compete with bigger schools like Florida. (Title IX also comes into play in that equation) Even though NCAA Baseball has increased in popularity of late, there is still a decline in popularity among the youth in this country. Back in the early 70s, there were community t-ball and Little League baseball teams everywhere. In Ramsey community at that time, we had an Optimist Club sponsored league that had about 6-8 teams. There were leagues like those all around the Knoxville area. There hasn't been anything equivalent since my generation entered high school. I went to the 2001 CWS and there were people in the stands passing out every few minutes. The CWS in July would have a higher death rate than Covid-19.

These guys are delusional if they think moving the season back will increase revenue. The reason there are only 11.7 scholarships and an additional coach hasn't been approved is simply because the NCAA is trying to maintain an even playing field so a small school like Stetson can compete with bigger schools like Florida. (Title IX also comes into play in that equation) Even though NCAA Baseball has increased in popularity of late, there is still a decline in popularity among the youth in this country. Back in the early 70s, there were community t-ball and Little League baseball teams everywhere. In Ramsey community at that time, we had an Optimist Club sponsored league that had about 6-8 teams. There were leagues like those all around the Knoxville area. There hasn't been anything equivalent since my generation entered high school. I went to the 2001 CWS and there were people in the stands passing out every few minutes. The CWS in July would have a higher death rate than Covid-19.

Sure a later season will mean more tickets sales. That’s common sense

Reactions: Titan05
No offense to those who struggle at Omaha with the heat, but if you are a pitcher or even a position player --- way, way better to start later. I tore the bicipital tendon of my throwing arm late February early March warming up to relieve against Auburn my Freshman year. I had developed tendonitis from pitching on a cold day in February at South Alabama. Too cold to be pitching.

Playing games in February is not ideal for much of the country obviously. Begin the season when the weather is better and you are competing against basketball for less of the season seems to make sense. Would think overall attendance would improve.

One drawback, I don't want to go to Omaha in July.
Where would you like to play?

Sure a later season will mean more tickets sales. That’s common sense
I wasn't specifically addressing ticket sales. For a very large percentage of the schools, baseball is a revenue negative sport. In other words, tickets sales do not produce enough revenue to cover the cost of the program. Keeping the team active longer after the normal school year will increase the cost of running the program more than the revenue from the additional ticket sales. For every school that sees a net revenue gain, there will be 3 that go deeper into the hole with additional expenses like having to house and feed the players for a longer calendar period.

I wasn't specifically addressing ticket sales. For a very large percentage of the schools, baseball is a revenue negative sport. In other words, tickets sales do not produce enough revenue to cover the cost of the program. Keeping the team active longer after the normal school year will increase the cost of running the program more than the revenue from the additional ticket sales. For every school that sees a net revenue gain, there will be 3 that go deeper into the hole with additional expenses like having to house and feed the players for a longer calendar period.

Agreed for sure. This helps the rich power schools and puts many many lesser schools into “bankruptcy” with furman

I would like to see Coach Vitello improve the out of conference schedule in 2021 and the future.

VN Store

Back