Overtime Elite = Monumental Shift in college basketball?

To cut down on one and done players, the NBA needs to lower the age limit to be eligible for the draft back to 18 or whatever it was before. And even then, the option to bypass college exists by playing over seas professionally and then entering the draft.

I think this is a good option for kids who don’t want to move thousands of miles away from their families or support system to pursue their dream of playing basketball professionally out of HS. The arguments against it - teens can’t handle the freedom, not financially savvy enough - aren’t really cutting it when they don’t learn those things in their one year of college anyway. It would also cut down on college programs paying players or coaches to come to their school when this option exists. I love college basketball but I’m not dumb enough to think all these guys will “see the light” when they get to college and end up staying for a few years. Most of the highly rated guys have likely already made up their minds to go pro before they step foot on a college campus and they’re just going through the motions of being a college student. That’s certainly not the case for all kids who play at big programs, but if they’ve been told they were a sure fire pro prospect since they were 14 or 15 years old, then I think this is a good option for them.

As for the NFL, if there were a financially lucrative way for them to do it, they would have done it already. I think kids just aren’t physically ready to play pro football at 17 or 18 and it’s too much of a liability health wise.

While I would personally like to see an age requirement of 18 or HS diploma, all in all I think it’s a win win for the kids, the NBA and college basketball.

The NFL doesn't need to develop a farm system, they are getting one for free through the NCAA. I'd like to see the NFL and NBA develop a farm system so kids could bypass college or players that have used up their eligibility could still have a chance. MLB has IMO the best system, if a kid drafted out of HS wants to go to college he has to stay 3 years to be eligible again.

Reactions: Godfatha
I see all sorts of red flags with this. The prefrontal cortex isn't fully formed until well into the 20s; most sixteen year old students aren't neurologically ready to make this level of decision. Their parents may push them for a quick buck in their wallets if the home situation is dire enough.

Overtime isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They see money, lots and lots of money. It's another case of predominantly low income players being exploited for our enjoyment and someone else's bank account. And when they're not entertaining enough anymore, we cast them aside for the next thing.

Whee!

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I see all sorts of red flags with this. The prefrontal cortex isn't fully formed until well into the 20s; most sixteen year old students aren't neurologically ready to make this level of decision. Their parents may push them for a quick buck in their wallets if the home situation is dire enough.

Overtime isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They see money, lots and lots of money. It's another case of predominantly low income players being exploited for our enjoyment and someone else's bank account. And when they're not entertaining enough anymore, we cast them aside for the next thing.

Whee!

So no different than an NCAA D1 school?

I'm not seeing lots and lots of money. If they're going to hype high school basketball at a cost of millions, they'll need some quality hype.

At the risk of triggering our resident dookie, I’m not sure why a McDs All American takes this big of a pay cut to go to a pro league over the pay and perks at the University of New Jersey at Durham or Kentucky.

Maybe they got a “strong ass offer”. Geez Duke has been winning titles for 30 years and going to final 4s for even longer . You think Bobby Hurley, Greg Koubek or Billy McCaffrey were taking money on that team? Do you even know who those guys are? I’m sure you know all about Zion though.

Maybe they got a “strong ass offer”. Geez Duke has been winning titles for 30 years and going to final 4s for even longer . You think Bobby Hurley, Greg Koubek or Billy McCaffrey were taking money on that team? Do you even know who those guys are? I’m sure you know all about Zion though.

I figured this would trigger you!! 😂😂😂

Yes, sport, I know those players. Who doesn’t? ESPN and CBS used to pump Dook like CBS pumped the Dallas Cowboys in the 70s. Still do, though not as badly.

If you want to believe UNJ-Durham is squeaky clean and it’s just K’s magical personality that attracts players and put Zion’s family in a house with a 3000 sq ft kitchen we all saw during the draft, then you just go ahead and be you.

Dook has been dirty for a long time, just like Kentucky. Dook, like Bama, is protected. It is what it is.

Reactions: hog88
Kids with true NBA or NFL potential who don’t at least graduate HS are setting themselves up for long term failure. For every Kobe Bryant, there’s dozens of Korleone Youngs.
I think the hard thing to sell to kids who are thinking about doing this is that if you bring up Korleone Young, many are liable to say something like "So? He still got paid good money to play basketball for 7 years and very few people can say that." It wasn't always in the NBA or other high-level leagues, but he was still paid to play a game for several years. That's still appealing to a bunch of kids, especially the ones who aren't academic-minded at all or with poor work ethics. The allure of being able to make money right away is pretty powerful.

I figured this would trigger you!! 😂😂😂

Yes, sport, I know those players. Who doesn’t? ESPN and CBS used to pump Dook like CBS pumped the Dallas Cowboys in the 70s. Still do, though not as badly.

If you want to believe UNJ-Durham is squeaky clean and it’s just K’s magical personality that attracts players and put Zion’s family in a house with a 3000 sq ft kitchen we all saw during the draft, then you just go ahead and be you.

Dook has been dirty for a long time, just like Kentucky. Dook, like Bama, is protected. It is what it is.
Haha Sport. I like it.

Sorry, I just didn’t expect that you knew about Duke players from 30 years ago, considering your overall sport knowledge in general. Trust me, I’ll keep doing what I do . That wont change.

I do find it funny though the amount of people that come on here and talk $hit about other schools at pretty much the most embarrassing time in our schools history. We can’t say anything right now, but our stupid ass segment of the fan base will always find a reason to tear someone down for their success and blame others for our own failures .

Reactions: volfanbill
Haha Sport. I like it.

Sorry, I just didn’t expect that you knew about Duke players from 30 years ago, considering your overall sport knowledge in general. Trust me, I’ll keep doing what I do . That wont change.

I do find it funny though the amount of people that come on here and talk $hit about other schools at pretty much the most embarrassing time in our schools history. We can’t say anything right now, but our stupid ass segment of the fan base will always find a reason to tear someone down for their success and blame others for our own failures .
It’s all VN knows

I think the hard thing to sell to kids who are thinking about doing this is that if you bring up Korleone Young, many are liable to say something like "So? He still got paid good money to play basketball for 7 years and very few people can say that." It wasn't always in the NBA or other high-level leagues, but he was still paid to play a game for several years. That's still appealing to a bunch of kids, especially the ones who aren't academic-minded at all or with poor work ethics. The allure of being able to make money right away is pretty powerful.

And now Korleone Young is in his 40s, past his athletic prime and broke.

But he made some money over a decade ago.

Reactions: TBrown and AshG
Making a decision like this doesn’t come without risks. I think as long as those risks are made known to the kid, his family or guardian, and he is told in plain English what the contract he is signing states, I have no problem with this league.

I just don’t see how you generate enough revenue or get enough people interested in non-pro level basketball to make the league work.

And now Korleone Young is in his 40s, past his athletic prime and broke.

But he made some money over a decade ago.
He's broke because of what he did subsequently with the money he made playing professional basketball, not because he passed on CBB to go straight to the NBA. Sure - it isn't like he made enough to transition straight from a pro career to a very cush retirement, but there's a big difference between that and being totally broke.

You can definitely argue that he didn't maximize his potential by going straight to the NBA, but unfortunately a lot of kids probably don't buy that. Money now (even if it is relatively small) can be more enticing than more money later. He still left high school and immediately made money playing a game.

Last edited:
Haha Sport. I like it.

Lol. You got all triggered and made this personal quickly. Let me spell this out for you,.sport. I have despised Dook for decades, largely because of the media adoration, and exactly the arrogant type of fan you're personifying. It has no relation at all to Tennessee, and your pathetic attempt to link the two somehow is ridiculous.

Dook has been exposed for their practices. Don't worry your smug little head, though sparky, because like Bama, Dook is protected. Nothing will ever happen. Doesn't make the program or Coach (insert first letter of last name here in an attempt to be cute) any different.

Keep being you. 😜

This model works for hockey and soccer in other areas of the world so maybe it'd work here too. The issue would be will IMG Academy, Oak Hill Academy and other Prep schools be those teams or will they be competing for that same talent. The other question is will there be enough talent to fill a league of 16 teams of 12-15 players each?

Lol. You got all triggered and made this personal quickly. Let me spell this out for you,.sport. I have despised Dook for decades, largely because of the media adoration, and exactly the arrogant type of fan you're personifying. It has no relation at all to Tennessee, and your pathetic attempt to link the two somehow is ridiculous.

Dook has been exposed for their practices. Don't worry your smug little head, though sparky, because like Bama, Dook is protected. Nothing will ever happen. Doesn't make the program or Coach (insert first letter of last name here in an attempt to be cute) any different.

Keep being you. 😜
This is hilarious. You just made my Friday even better. Calling me triggered (you like that term a lot) and then responding the way you did? That’s great. You probably don’t know jackshit about Duke other than you hate them, but you really don’t seem to know why either, other than it’s fashionable to hate them, Duke’s white guys are unlikeable, Dickie V and the media annoys you about them and they win. At least Bama has a long history of NCAA violations along with UK and yet you lump Duke in with them. The only way Duke belongs in the same sentence with those schools are rings. Will that change? Maybe. Until it does you keep hating away and maybe your dreams will come true.
By the way, I don’t worry. In fact I love this $hit. People like you are exactly why I am the way I am when it comes to Duke.

This is hilarious. You just made my Friday even better. Calling me triggered (you like that term a lot) and then responding the way you did? That’s great. You probably don’t know jackshit about Duke other than you hate them, but you really don’t seem to know why either, other than it’s fashionable to hate them, Duke’s white guys are unlikeable, Dickie V and the media annoys you about them and they win. At least Bama has a long history of NCAA violations along with UK and yet you lump Duke in with them. The only way Duke belongs in the same sentence with those schools are rings. Will that change? Maybe. Until it does you keep hating away and maybe your dreams will come true.

By the way, I don’t worry. In fact I love this $hit. People like you are exactly why I am the way I am when it comes to Duke.

That first paragraph was Faulkneresque in its rambling inanity. You love Dook. I get it. And your attitude is emblematic of every Dookie I've ever met.

Your closing statement is so rich with irony it actually made me chuckle.

Keep being you. Its entertaining me greatly on this beautiful Friday.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
This model works for hockey and soccer in other areas of the world so maybe it'd work here too. The issue would be will IMG Academy, Oak Hill Academy and other Prep schools be those teams or will they be competing for that same talent. The other question is will there be enough talent to fill a league of 16 teams of 12-15 players each?

if the NBA would subsidize it there would be enough talent

VN Store

Back