OUTSTANDING piece by Toppmeyer in the KNS

Grew up knowing the Jolly family. It is a very well done piece of writing.

Good article, but the writer obviously never hung tobacco. The remark about Kenneth made me laugh.
"To hang tobacco, Kellie spread her feet and balanced herself on elevated boards and passed the tobacco up from one level to the next. It’s a team effort. Kenneth, who was very agile, generally took the top level."

Back in the long ago, the ole gule and family raised tobacco in east Tn. If Kellie got some pleasure in it she sure never worked for my ole man. Topping and de-suckering(removing un wanted growths) weeding, spraying for insects, cutting, hauling to the barn, waiting for the right high humidity morning to " handoff" aka sort in to grades and tie into "hands" on a cold as hell October/November morning was never a pleasure for me.

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
Back in the long ago, the ole gule and family raised tobacco in east Tn. If Kellie got some pleasure in it she sure never worked for my ole man. Topping and de-suckering(removing un wanted growths) weeding, spraying for insects, cutting, hauling to the barn, waiting for the right high humidity morning to " handoff" aka sort in to grades and tie into "hands" on a cold as hell October/November morning was never a pleasure for me.

BUT, think of the Pleasure you now get when you describe it. I had similar experiences in my youth; SAWMILL for example, that were exhausting; but I wouldn't trade them for anyone's paper route.

BUT, think of the Pleasure you now get when you describe it. I had similar experiences in my youth; SAWMILL for example, that were exhausting; but I wouldn't trade them for anyone's paper route.

Great point. Every time I smell strong scent of ammonia, it takes me back to those wonderful days swamping out the neighbor's stables. That's almost as fine as emptying the grease vat at Dairy Queen.

Good times, good times....

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I am definitely one who approves of the process of emphasizing the new era for the LVs. The public relations process for promoting Kellie Harper, a female coach with a legacy at the University and within the State, her family, her staff is solid and genuine. The articles we have read on LV staff are deliberately designed to focus on the staff not the players.

and as an aside I learned that the Floridian Gule has childhood E.TN skills with a tobacco knife. (smile)

th

you should have seen me hauling hay, lol Always got stuck stacking on the truck/wagon and in the barn loft. Igotskillsferdays….

Baling hay, picking cotton working on a chicken farm taught me some valuable life lessons. It taught me the value of working hard and to respect others who work hard everyday. It helped me to be successful in school and to be successful after college.

Reactions: mcannon1
Baling hay, picking cotton working on a chicken farm taught me some valuable life lessons. It taught me the value of working hard and to respect others who work hard everyday. It helped me to be successful in school and to be successful after college.

Fixing to go ted some hay. About 100 degrees here.

How about picking tobacco worms.

VN Store

Back