Outrebounded by 25

Way to go in checking the temper. I used to throw furniture about 25 years ago. Seems so foolish now.
Yeah, it's been a long time since I actually broke something or scared the dogs into hiding, but our lack of effort on the boards tonight nearly ended my retirement.

Don't blame this on the refs or a couple of bad bounces. . . . There were a few bad calls that went the other way, too. And, the round ball doesn't just magically fall into the other guys' hands 25 more times in a game. We just don't have the talent this year to win a game where we don't bring the hustle in all areas. It was so frustrating to repeatedly see good defense hold A&M to a late, tough shot only to see them get another free possession.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Thats 34, either way 21 rebounds isnt going to win many games.
You add in "Team Rebounds": the ones that get knocked out of bounds or where there's a loose ball foul. Every rebound has to be accounted for. There were 63 missed field goals, and 12 missed free throws. (Not all of the missed free throws produced a rebound, of course. No rebound on the first shot of a two shot foul, or the first two shots of a three shot foul.) The two teams had 67 rebounds total, so that's 4 from the missed free throws. They had 34 individual rebounds, but 12 team rebounds, where we either fouled on the rebound before they had controlled it or we knocked it out of bounds. We had only 19 individual rebounds, but also only 2 team rebounds, so only twice where they either fouled or knocked it out of bounds.

What in the world can Bowden do to turn it around?

If he has a girlfriend he should have dumped her weeks ago. Time to get the head straight

This is Jordan Bowden. He’s done this every year in his career. He’s not going to change who he is.

Reactions: griffdog14
They’re also all freshman. I’d be more upset with the poor rebounding from our upperclassmen Yves and John and the poor shooting/dumb turnovers from our senior Jordan
Agree, just bizarre based on how Pons and Fulky both coming off the best games of their careers 3 days ago vs. KU

They’re also all freshman. I’d be more upset with the poor rebounding from our upperclassmen Yves and John and the poor shooting/dumb turnovers from our senior Jordan
Pons isn’t a rebounder. He’s going for blocks and not leaving him in position to grab many boards

Rebounding was obviously a problem tonight. I’d like to think it was an aberration. That being said we’re not a good rebounding team and w our current lineup that’s not going to change. I was hoping Uros could at least do that for us. Gaines is our second best rebounding guard behind JJJ but he’s not even sniffing the court at this point.

Unfortunately I think the only way to get better is for the freshman go quickly grow out I’d their freshman mistakes and for Bowden to find some semblance of an outside shot.

This is Jordan Bowden. He’s done this every year in his career. He’s not going to change who he is.
people forget but this happens every season, and no this isn't any worse. he beats the crap out of the DII teams we play in November then disappears for the rest of the year. this year it seems worse because he's our only shooter left so its much more noticeable when he's missing.

Unfortunately our next game is against the 2nd best offensive rebounding team in the country. This one is not a good matchup.

Way to go in checking the temper. I used to throw furniture about 25 years ago. Seems so foolish now.
No there’s no “seems” to it. It is foolish. I have an ex brother in law who would literally do that and treat his family and friends horribly after the Vols lost. One of the most despicable things I’ve ever witnessed! I try hard to keep my emotions in check especially with a game like last night though. Years have mellowed me out too I hope.

Reactions: RollerVol
I hope I am wrong but the lack of rebounding just may continue to be a big problem again next year. Fulkerson is our only true big that battles for boards. I am sure UP will get better, however it remains to be seen if he will be able to compete with SEC bigs. I Know we bring in Walker next year, but he will be a true freshman that needs to put on muscle. CRB needs to bring a post next season that is not a project, ready to bang down low.

I hope I am wrong but the lack of rebounding just may continue to be a big problem again next year. Fulkerson is our only true big that battles for boards. I am sure UP will get better, however it remains to be seen if he will be able to compete with SEC bigs. I Know we bring in Walker next year, but he will be a true freshman that needs to put on muscle. CRB needs to bring a post next season that is not a project, ready to bang down low.

Rebounding shouldn't be such an issue. Turner was often the smallest guy on the court and was a very productive rebounder.

Beano on Basilio pointed out that shot blocking is a deceptive stat. Most of the time the shooting team gets the ball back anyway and defenders constantly leaving their feet going for blocks takes them out of defensive and rebounding position. It does get the home crowds fired up though.

Reactions: RollerVol
Rebounding shouldn't be such an issue. Turner was often the smallest guy on the court and was a very productive rebounder.

Beano on Basilio pointed out that shot blocking is a deceptive stat. Most of the time the shooting team gets the ball back anyway and defenders constantly leaving their feet going for blocks takes them out of defensive and rebounding position. It does get the home crowds fired up though.
LT was a great rebounder for his size but I seriously doubt a HC wants to depend on the smallest guy on the court for rebounds. Plus, LT doesn't play anymore. Our post players need to rebound better and CRB needs to bring in some bangers down low. A&M's bigs embarrassed our post players last night.

I don't know about next year, but this year and particularly last night, we were outmuscled on the defensive board. Plavsic didn't get many minutes last night, but when he did, he was not in position and non-aggressive. Hopefully, experience and coaching will improve him because he is not clumsy and has a nice inside shot when he asserts himself. He has a much stronger frame than Fulky but he isn't using it effectively at this point. I do think Fulky is somewhat naturally awkward, but he makes up for it with aggressive play. Fulky and Pons have been more consistent in scoring than about anyone else on this year's team and I hate to think where we would be without them this year. But Fulky performs better with occasional rests and I think Barnes has to work Plavsic in more minutes for his and Fulky's sake. This year has to be about progression and getting better if nothing else at this point.

The issue with this team is that the rebounding AND offensive efficiency aren't very good. We go spurts without scoring and also let the other team shoot more even though defense is good. It's a recipe for losses. With elite athletes coming next year, I expect the offensive efficiency to be much better. That can mask other issues. We could certainly use another big, but all of our big guys should get better.

My thoughts EXACTLY! Barnes has failed miserably at roster management and recruiting SIZE! Barnes is a good guy and a decent coach, but I really wish we had better. We've more than likely seen the best he'll do here. Dont hold your breathe for a bunch of freshman next year. Our 5 stars usually end up playing like 2 stars.
I think so to, we get the added bonus of him holding the university hostage and squeezing top 5 coaches pay out of them as well. Isn’t my money but makes the situation that much less likeable to me.

Reactions: jeff1vol
I never broke things but I used to get so mad when UT would lose, but since I’ve been a fan that’s mostly all they do so I’m pretty much used to it. I still hate to see them lose in any sport but I guess you could say they’ve just beaten it out of me over the years. The university hasn’t been serious about championship level athletics in a long time, when that’s the case you mine as well just accept your fate.

VN Store

Back