Outkick: Where Does UT Go From Here?

Steele will be interim coach for a year while they find a coach.

They won’t rush to hire another Dooley. They learned their lesson there.

All other desirable options will not want this job at this time. Perhaps it will be different in 12/21.

Good question. Who knows. What penalties (if any) will the NCAA lay on UT?
Will UT actually hire a proven HC? History is not on our side.
Will we lose more players and commits? Next 2 or 3 months will be interesting.

All other desirable options will not want this job at this time. Perhaps it will be different in 12/21.
I think you could be right there, but the instate 22 class is one of the best ever and people are going to want to try and keep them from leaving. I don’t know if that’s possible right now given the uncertainty of the NCAA stuff, but that has to be in the back of people’s minds as they make this hire or place the interim on Steele.

that would ruin any chance of getting anyone in the 22 class.....cant see that happening. You cant have a lame duck coach for a year.

I truly hope they’ve learned their lesson. I’ll be shocked if they did. I think some of the other VolNation guys are onto something with Steele stepping in to stabilizing the program while allowing UT to place an AD and bring in a potential head coach.

my problem, is how many will leave from this class... on top of not getting a good class this coming year. I think we would lose 2 recruiting cycles if we keep Steele for 1 year. These kid’s parents will want some sense of stability.

That one-time transfer rule might make hiring an interim a lot easier. Steele could bring more kids from Auburn, and I’m sure whoever we’d hire would have kids follow him here also.

I’m not sure worrying about high school recruits is as big a concern as it once was.

The interim for a year path is risky.

if Steele snuck in a 7-5 regular season, and beats some limp team in a lower tier bowl, finishing 8-5, we will get stuck with him as the new full time head coach. Ugh.

That one-time transfer rule might make hiring an interim a lot easier. Steele could bring more kids from Auburn, and I’m sure whoever we’d hire would have kids follow him here also.

I’m not sure worrying about high school recruits is as big a concern as it once was.

Good point. The transfer portal looks like ATL airport on a holiday.

Are you sure?
Yeah no way we know what "they" will do because we don't even who it is that will make the decision. I have heard similar discussions on other topics and past history. What people might fail to grasp is everyone is new. All past decisions are NOT reference points going forward.

Good question. Who knows. What penalties (if any) will the NCAA lay on UT?
Will UT actually hire a proven HC? History is not on our side.
Will we lose more players and commits? Next 2 or 3 months will be interesting.
I do believe Tennessee has learned their lesson. I believe this, due to the fact that they are cleaning house and getting rid of a lot of people which is very un-UT like. Out of all the coaching searches over the last 12 years, this one has a different feel to it in terms of the administration wanting what is best and not just a budget higher. But who knows until we see what they do.

With Fulmer out of the way ( obviously a disruptive force within football program according to some on here) I think higher end will have more interest. Of course all is relative with what comes from NCAA...but still I think we may be surprised by interest of a few. Looking at the glass half full (w Willett)🤣

Reactions: LittleVol

if Steele snuck in a 7-5 regular season, and beats some limp team in a lower tier bowl, finishing 8-5, we will get stuck with him as the new full time head coach. Ugh.
He might just get the job by default. With the NCAA hovering and likely to take their sweet time resolving this, Steele might be the only path forward for UT.

With Fulmer out of the way ( obviously a disruptive force within football program according to some on here) I think higher end will have more interest. Of course all is relative with what comes from NCAA...but still I think we may be surprised by interest of a few. Looking at the glass half full (w Willett)🤣

I think most anyone who has options will not want to jump in to a situation with the recruiting/portal issues in addition to possible sanctions.

There was an argument people had earlier in the year about the early signing period.

Be thankful for the early signing period

Reactions: LittleVol and vol05

I have a very hard time believing we’ll be playing any postseason football next year, whether it be by our own choice or the NCAA.

My glass is half full. You need to let things fall into place. If it doesn't work out, switch Neyland and Thompson-Boling.

VN Store

Back