Our Team

Vol524

The O line is made out of Swiss Cheese. The rest of the team is not that bad. Our Defense is much improved. When given time, JG can hit the receivers and the running backs can run when there is a hole to hit.
I cant believe the OC and line coach cant find 5 guys that can block. If nothing else, at least get in the way. I do understand this is a new system on both sides of the ball and that some times the blocking back is not on the same page as the line. But, you have to cover your QB's blind side. It is not rocket science. GO VOLS!

Yep. The VERY first play on offense this season, where the WVU DE went unblocked and blasted JG, was unfortunately a foreshadowing to the ineptitude that we will likely see the rest of the season. We need a complete reset on the OL. Hopefully Wanya Morris lives up to his recruiting hype and Pruitt is able to secure high-quality OL in both the '19 and 20' classes. IMO that will be the biggest key to getting us out of the gutter over the next 2-3 years...

Not all of this is on the players, you can be the greatest fundamentals coach on Earth but if you can’t relate to players and have them buy in it doesn’t really matter. Too many players simply are not giving maximum effort either by choice which is on them or by confusion which is on the coaches. Good coaches adjust their system to fit the players and good players can adjust to any system

If you are going to change the system you have to make the change. Adjusting to what you have is not going to teach the players the new system. We lack size and speed to run CJP system. The players are still learning the blocking scheme. That is part of the reason we are missing assignments. I do think JP can turn this mess around but it will take time. I know the fans are tired of hearing that but it is the truth. It is not Pruitt's fault we are in this mess. Butchy knew little to nothing about coaching. The NFL rookie of the year last year was our back up running back. Butch is an idiot when it comes to seeing talent and teaching them.

Reactions: savannahfan
The O line is made out of Swiss Cheese. The rest of the team is not that bad. Our Defense is much improved. When given time, JG can hit the receivers and the running backs can run when there is a hole to hit.
I cant believe the OC and line coach cant find 5 guys that can block. If nothing else, at least get in the way. I do understand this is a new system on both sides of the ball and that some times the blocking back is not on the same page as the line. But, you have to cover your QB's blind side. It is not rocket science. GO VOLS!

I believe the system we suffered with the last few years did not require much ability to block on the line. It relied on a qb's ability to run and deceive a defense. I think linemen were ask to run to a point then block on the move or try to influence a defensive linemen at the start of a play. To me these, for the most part, are the type guys we have. Not the kind Pruitt wants who can knock you back on your as- on the los.

Reactions: Carlitovol
Not all of this is on the players, you can be the greatest fundamentals coach on Earth but if you can’t relate to players and have them buy in it doesn’t really matter. Too many players simply are not giving maximum effort either by choice which is on them or by confusion which is on the coaches. Good coaches adjust their system to fit the players and good players can adjust to any system

I'll put it this way, if these guys can't buy into a National Title winning coach at multiple schools, then they will not buy in to anything, and probably need to be shown the door.

Yep. The VERY first play on offense this season, where the WVU DE went unblocked and blasted JG, was unfortunately a foreshadowing to the ineptitude that we will likely see the rest of the season. We need a complete reset on the OL. Hopefully Wanya Morris lives up to his recruiting hype and Pruitt is able to secure high-quality OL in both the '19 and 20' classes. IMO that will be the biggest key to getting us out of the gutter over the next 2-3 years...
Recruit "high quality". Hopefully a good number of just good recruits. That will be a change for the better.

Jordan can’t hit the holes whether they’re there or not, we’ve seen that for 4 games now. For some reason, the running back with possibly the worst speed on our roster thinks he needs to bounce everything outside. He cost us that safety on Saturday. He should drop to 4th on the depth chart imo, with Banks getting his carries and then some imho.

We have 4-5 players on offense that are likely to screw up on every play. All it takes is 1 to miss his block and the play is doomed!
The Coaches don’t need to adjust their system for incompetent players!

Reactions: VolsLady-in-FL
CJP is working with very little talent. They need to listen and learn or sit.

Disagree.

Most of our problems with the OL aren’t that they are beat. On too many plays we’ll have 2 people blocking one and nobody blocking another. Gotta get back to a “hat on a hat”. They get really confused on stunts and rely too much on rb’s to pick up blitzes.

Reactions: VolsLady-in-FL
I'll put it this way, if these guys can't buy into a National Title winning coach at multiple schools, then they will not buy in to anything, and probably need to be shown the door.

Unfortunately you can’t just show them the door in college

We have 4-5 players on offense that are likely to screw up on every play. All it takes is 1 to miss his block and the play is doomed!
The Coaches don’t need to adjust their system for incompetent players!

Telling them they are incompetent and getting frustrated is doing no good so it’s time to adjust your system to what you have because if the product in the field doesn’t begin to look a whole lot better no one is going to want to play for Pruitt. You can’t promise results and look that lost on the field.

Why try to adjust to a system that just didn't work. Time for a change. It's has been stated many times Butch's system only work because of a QB and two or three better than average defensive guys.
Really good systems don't rely on two or three players but a well balanced team. Hate to use this example, but Ala. has until now had good game managers at qb. and still won because of a system.
To answer you statement. No, this is not the players fault. It is the fault of a system and a coaching staff that just didn't work. Now the left over players for this disaster are paying the price. (along with ever other follower of UT football and this new staff). I just hope Fulmer can keep the dogs at bay long enough for this to be turned around.

They are not good. They also are missing assignments. The RBs are missing blocks. The QBs are holding on to the ball too long. Several dumb play calls. If we quit turning the dang ball over, they will start looking a lot better though. That is on the whole offense. Winning Culture can just be taught.

Telling them they are incompetent and getting frustrated is doing no good so it’s time to adjust your system to what you have because if the product in the field doesn’t begin to look a whole lot better no one is going to want to play for Pruitt. You can’t promise results and look that lost on the field.
It’s the same players that failed in Butch’s system! What Adjustments/syst do you think is going to work?

Reactions: Vol524
I disagree, from what I've seen, they are getting beat like a drum. My point....they aren't listening and learning.

Reactions: gnm53108
Disagree.

Most of our problems with the OL aren’t that they are beat. On too many plays we’ll have 2 people blocking one and nobody blocking another. Gotta get back to a “hat on a hat”. They get really confused on stunts and rely too much on rb’s to pick up blitzes.
I disagree. From what I've seen, they get beat like a drum....with someone in front of them. They are not listening, learning and applying what they have been taught by the new staff.

I agree. It was the “very little talent” I disagreed with.

Other than Trey, and he hasn't made it back completely yet...….I do not see a lot of talent. Hall has been injured and I cringe every time I see the right side of the line. There may be some talent, as far as running Butch's offense, but ……...it must be hiding. We have not had a decent OL in a few years. CJP will bring in players to fix this problem.

Yet Kiffin managed to put together a serviceable OL with two undersized walk ons

Yes, his staff did. And those young men were open to being taught. However, most of these young men appear to either be incapable of learning, unable to fulfil their roles or unwilling to change what they have previously learned....???????

Yes, his staff did. And those young men were open to being taught. However, most of these young men appear to either be incapable of learning, unable to fulfil their roles or unwilling to change what they have previously learned....???????
I agree with this. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to get better any time soon. Those guys got manhandled by the same dl that Kentucky ran all over.

VN Store

Back