our recruiting class is...

tnrunner13

vols to the wall
exactly what the coaches were trying to get.
sure, getting marlon brown or a few others would have been ideal, but the class is right about where the coaches were aiming (minus fencing in the state. i am bitter about that, but not at the coaches. i am bitter that MB decided to do what HE wanted to do instead of what I wanted). i mean think about it, the class easily could've been in the top 12 (maybe even 10, per ESPN) if kiffin hadn't started telling recruits they don't fit the system. it's not about the rankings because they're based partially on the number of recruits, so a ton of two and three star athletes can end up being a better class than a few four star studs.. i remember a few years ago (circa '99 or '00 or something) miami had the 18th or 19th best recruiting class while tn was top 5. however that miami class went on to form the foundation of the team that played for two national championships and after ESPN redid the rankings, that class turned out to be the #1 class from that year. everyone needs to sit back, relax, and be happy with what we got because other than the surprise that's coming soon, this class isn't changing too much. i'm not ready to give kiff and co a free pass here (as i admit, i love CPF and i grew up with him being an idol of mine, and i know i'll get hell for admitting this), but i LOVE the direction he is taking out football program in. let's just say i am cautiously optimistic and i think our coaching staff did a very good (maybe not GREAT) job recruiting this year. some of you might agree and some might not, however, it's not the end of the world. :blink:
peace, love, and GO VOLS!!
DISCLAIMER-i am not entirely positive about the rankings i used in this post, but i know they are somewhat accurate.

I saw a history on another site over years of compiling of how recruiting translate to the field.We are 12th in recruiting but not in the top 40 in wins.

I saw a history on another site over years of compiling of how recruiting translate to the field.We are 12th in recruiting but not in the top 40 in wins.

How is that even possible with Fulmer leaving with a winning percentage in the .745% range. Were they only looking at a few select years?

Many of the schools ranked above us in Rivals and Scouts signed many more recruits than us this year. Even in the Rivals rankings, if you rank the schools by the average star ranking, then I believe we are actually 12th.

Personally, I rather Kiffin and company be selective in this first year of recruiting. I rather them not load up on lesser talented guys or guys that they feel don't really fit into our system just to fill out a larger recruiting class. They now have the entire year to work on next year's recruiting class, and we should end up with more guys in next year's class. When that class is added to the high quality players that we landed this year, those two classes should serve as a cornerstone to build upon in the future.

I agree with the "get the right pieces" sentiment. My main concern, though, is that we are going into next fall with the same QB's we suffered through this past season with...and that was our achilles heel. What are our prospects for the coming season?

No. This class was not exactly what they wanted. They didn't fill their OL and DL needs. That is simply an undeniable fact.

Did they get the kind of players for other positions that they want? I think so. But there is a big, giant, glaring hole in this class that no amount of spin can fill.

The talent gap between UT and the teams CLK is chasing has widened and there's no a gap between UT and Ole Miss and USCe. With a great class next year, UT will re-pass the latter two but the SEC's elite aren't going to slow down and wait. Saban now has a #10 class and two #1's playing for him. It would be surprising if he has anything lower than a top 5 class next year.

It will take multiple top 5 classes by CLK to close that gap.

That's why I worry and fret and annoy people here. I want CLK to succeed but his opportunity will be cut short if he makes a habit out of losing to UF, Bama, and UGA. Seeing the reality of his situation DOES NOT mean I'm against him.

I agree with the "get the right pieces" sentiment. My main concern, though, is that we are going into next fall with the same QB's we suffered through this past season with...and that was our achilles heel. What are our prospects for the coming season?

Based on Kiffin's comments, he agrees with what I posted even during the season. The QB's are not the biggest problem UT had last year or will have this year. If the OL is ineffective and the WR's can't get off press coverage then you could have had Manning at QB and struggled.

That's why I worry and fret and annoy people here. I want CLK to succeed but his opportunity will be cut short if he makes a habit out of losing to UF, Bama, and UGA. Seeing the reality of his situation DOES NOT mean I'm against him.

Well said and well reasoned. Unfortunately, when the crowd gets whippped into a blind frenzy, honest questions are seen as treason

No. This class was not exactly what they wanted. They didn't fill their OL and DL needs. That is simply an undeniable fact.

Did they get the kind of players for other positions that they want? I think so. But there is a big, giant, glaring hole in this class that no amount of spin can fill.

The talent gap between UT and the teams CLK is chasing has widened and there's no a gap between UT and Ole Miss and USCe. With a great class next year, UT will re-pass the latter two but the SEC's elite aren't going to slow down and wait. Saban now has a #10 class and two #1's playing for him. It would be surprising if he has anything lower than a top 5 class next year.

i felt this way to untill i listened to his press conference. the guy didn't make many excuses he has a plan, i think he knows what he is doing. the o-line worries me, but he said he was going to move some guys around, walls is going to play DT. i came away impressed. i'm ready for football to start. i think we do no worse than 8-4 no better than 10-2 and that is already better than the 7-5 i always predict with phil. so things have got to be getting better.

One thing we don't know yet and won't find out for a while is...does this talent gap pose as much of a problem as it did under Fulmer?

i.e. Are these coaches capable of actually coaching or do they have to rely on "out-talenting" the other coaches like the last regime did?

The talent gap is a major problem...but I think it's a problem that will be solved (or at least drastically reduced) over the next 2...maybe 3 recruiting classes...

What we need to know...and what our attention as UT fans can now turn to is whether or not this "recruiting dreamteam" can do what they were actually hired to do....coach

sjt18....How did they not fill their DL needs? Montori Hughes, Rae Sykes and Marlon Walls are going to be good. Sure, we didn't get the depth we wanted on the O-line but Schofield is a good one.

Last edited:
sjt18....How did they not fill their DL needs? Montori Hughes, Rae Sykes and Marlon Walls are going to be good. Sure, we didn't get the depth we wanted on the O-line but Schofield is a good one. Hood, from Knoxville Catholic, is the top rated Tackle that is unsigned per rivals. What's up with him?

Search this forum for the Danial Hood thread and you'll find out pretty quick....

That's one kid we don't want on our team for damn sure

2010 will have to be the year they address the lines. Nothing we can do about it now. I'm pretty confident they'll get more out of the guys we have than the last staff. Yeah, there is truely a talent gap there now, especially in the lines. The sky's not falling and we'll be alright.

good greif.

do you not listen to what the man says? they wanted to upgrade speed and talent at the skill positions and get better on defense.

mission accomplished.

do you know how many scholarships we'll have available for next year by the way?

Let's have this discussion agian next Feb.

your overreacting is just plain ridiculous.

VN Store

Back