Our QB room will be the best in the SEC

Why? They may have a higher ceiling but it's doubtful they hit it next season. Why would you not go with the guy whose ceiling is higher at the time?

I have seen JG play great for stretches then absolutely implode too many times. He played out of his mind these final 5 or 6 games and is a huge reason Tennessee made a bowl game but I PERSONALLY still think BM is the best QB on the roster. This roster is transitioning from the JG, Jenning's, Bituli's to a much younger roster of the Eric Gray's, HT, Darnell Wright, etc. Would rather have a young guy leading the team for the next 3 or 4 years growing with the young stars, as oppose to basically a one year rental in JG. He left his mark but it's time to move on in my opinion.

Reactions: Lilcarl731
Why thanks, appreciate it. I think it’s beyond fair.

Guarantano’s story this year, his resilience and how he helped the team vs Ky, UAB and Mizzou, all that was great. But he remains inconsistent and limited. Maurer, Shrout and, I believe Bailey, all have higher ceilings than JG and him being here takes up too much “oxygen” in the QB room. It takes valuable reps and coaching time away from the guys with more potential. They need the chance to grow and compete and develop and JG hinders all that imo.

As Doug Mathews said this past Sunday on his show, this team, to get where it needs to get to, “needs a special player at QB”....well, we know what JG is, and he’s just not that guy. So, let’s go ahead and see if one of the higher potential younger guys are or can be.

Meet with JG, hug him, tell him he’ll always be remembered fondly, thank him for everything positive he did this year to help turn things around....and then tell him you’re going a different direction, that he needs to transfer and then wish him good luck.
Terrible take I feel and probably the worst thing this staff could do as it would probably upset the locker room quite a bit. JG has earned his stripes, both Pruitt and JG have basically laughed at the idea of him transferring, not sure why folks are still harping on it.

On another note, we could also have the best OL group, LB group and secondary in the SEC in '20 as well. Pruitt has really turned the roster over going into his 3rd year.
There's homeruns, pumperism, then there is whatever this is. We wont even have the best position groups in the East. UGA does by a large margin.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
There's homeruns, pumperism, then there is whatever this is. We wont even have the best position groups in the East. UGA does by a large margin.
Just not true based on returning players in each position group. Ga has recruited great but our returning 1s and 2s match up well with them at all 3 position groups. Our 2 tackles and C on OL will be considered elite, Henry T and Crouch will be considered elite players at LB and our 2 corners may be the best tandem in the country next year as Jrs. I think we're a lot closer than you think.

Guarantano’s story this year, his resilience and how he helped the team vs Ky, UAB and Mizzou, all that was great. But he remains inconsistent and limited. Maurer, Shrout and, I believe Bailey, all have higher ceilings than JG and him being here takes up too much “oxygen” in the QB room. It takes valuable reps and coaching time away from the guys with more potential. They need the chance to grow and compete and develop and JG hinders all that imo.

As Doug Mathews said this past Sunday on his show, this team, to get where it needs to get to, “needs a special player at QB”....well, we know what JG is, and he’s just not that guy. So, let’s go ahead and see if one of the higher potential younger guys are or can be.

Meet with JG, hug him, tell him he’ll always be remembered fondly, thank him for everything positive he did this year to help turn things around....and then tell him you’re going a different direction, that he needs to transfer and then wish him good luck.
I will only remind you of this fact, and will go no further down this rabbit hole. The HC feels JG is the best for the job. If JG does not leave, he will be the front runner for the starter next year. I will trust the coaches in whatever they choose. If JG does not enter the transfer portal, you might as well get ready to whine and cry all next year as well. Many hugs and thanks for your contributions (?) to this board.

I have seen JG play great for stretches then absolutely implode too many times. He played out of his mind these final 5 or 6 games and is a huge reason Tennessee made a bowl game but I PERSONALLY still think BM is the best QB on the roster. This roster is transitioning from the JG, Jenning's, Bituli's to a much younger roster of the Eric Gray's, HT, Darnell Wright, etc. Would rather have a young guy leading the team for the next 3 or 4 years growing with the young stars, as oppose to basically a one year rental in JG. He left his mark but it's time to move on in my opinion.
So you're thinking we should go the way South Carolina has done it the last 4 years?

That is dumb. If you have a fourth year starter who is playing well you don't wish for a backup or true freshman to come in.

If anything you need the veteran leadership at qb while the other guys develop. You don't want a young qb if your rbs and wrs are inexperienced.

Makes no sense.

People should be praying he comes back and continues to play well. That is the best chance to win the most games.

IF and its a huge if obviously, If JG decides to leave then that leaves BM as the most experienced QB on the roster. I think HB has a lot of potential as well but I guess it just depends on how fast he picks up on things, at least he will be able to work with the team during Bowl Prep if I'm not mistaken?

The only reason I could JG leaving is because of him and his families relationship with Schiano, blood is thicker than water.

I'm not sure how things will play out but I would say we're in good hands moving forward regardless, I know this BM needs to put on some weight and learn how to slide.

Actually I'll ask him to stay........

I agree we'll have a lot of talent at QB, but having the best QB1 is probably more important. Right now, I'd say JG might be the 5th or 6th best SEC QB.

I don't think we'll have the best LB group next year. To'o To'o is great and Crouch and Harrison have promise, but losing Bituli and Taylor means we'll take a step back there; but maybe not too big of one.

We probably won't have the best O-line either, but we're getting better. Losing Trey Smith will be a blow, but Kennedy (if he can return), Wright, Carvin, and Morris should be a solid group. We could at least be a top 5 SEC O-line that could become elite over time. (Different story if Trey Smith returns for Senior year - could be the best in the SEC).

Our secondary should be solid, though. Arguably a top 3 secondary in the SEC.

Overall, I think it'll be an interesting year. We lose a lot of key players (Jennings, Callaway, Trey Smith, Bituli, D-taylor, and Warrior), but we bring back most of key players at QB, RB, OL, DL, and DB. Be interesting to see if we can find guys to fill the shoes of our departing players at WR and LB.
My main thing on LBs is Henry T. He's a clone to past Tn high school and Alabama great Donte Hightower and I just feel that he alongside the rest of a very talented group is what puts them over the top. Bottom line though is that Pruitt has upgraded nearly every position group on the team and has gotten them to upper tier SEC status.

This may be considered homerism, but I’ll take what’s in Gainesville over that group

If I'm being honest I probably would too. But the separation isn't that much, at least depth-wise, and I'm not complaining given what we have coming back.

I have wanted JG to leave several times this seasonn and I have said previosuly we would never win a game with him. Chaney has shown what he is able to do with an O Line the can protect for more than 2 seconds as our line has become better over the course of the season. I would believe JG would be #1 in the spring and the rest really depends on the transfer situation. I highly doubt we have 5 scholarship QBs come next year. Im not sold on Bailey as some people can light it up in high school and flop in college...cough cough JG.

That is dumb. If you have a fourth year starter who is playing well you don't wish for a backup or true freshman to come in.

If anything you need the veteran leadership at qb while the other guys develop. You don't want a young qb if your rbs and wrs are inexperienced.

Makes no sense.

People should be praying he comes back and continues to play well. That is the best chance to win the most games.
You can say what you want but I have seen JG crash and burn too many times, once again my own personal opinion is BM has the highest ceiling of any QB's currently on the roster and I rather start BM (or HB) next year and have a chance at winning the east in 2021 instead of breaking in a new QB (in 2021) while the rest of the roster is ready to compete for championships.

this upcoming Spring. We will have a veteran 3rd year starter, who while inconsistent, has proven to be a serviceable SEC starter ranking in the upper tier of all returning SEC QBs, we will have Blue Chip Fr Harrison Bailey, our highest acclaimed QB recruit since Peyton, Brian Maurer who has flashed well at times and seems to have the capabilities to be an SEC starter at QB, Big JT who is as physically gifted as anyone at the position with his prototypical size and cannon type arm strength and walkon Hill who has more experience than all other backups combined.

Guarantano, Bailey, Maurer, Hill, Shrout in my opinion will be the best QB group in the SEC come SPRING practice!

Pruitt will have his hands full keeping that group together past spring practice, but if he does then the next 3-4 seasons should be fun.

On another note, we could also have the best OL group, LB group and secondary in the SEC in '20 as well. Pruitt has really turned the roster over going into his 3rd year.
Not even close to the best QB room in the SEC. Not even sure best in the East. Bama has Jones, Tagovailoa, Tyson, and Young, the number one QB in the 2020 class. Florida has Trask, Jones, and 4-star Anthony Richardson committed. Georgia is better at QB if Fromm comes back. They also have Mathis and 4-star Carson Beck committed. A&M has Mond and 4-star 2020 QB King committed. Ole Miss has Corral and Plumlee.

Last edited:
Reactions: QU1ZE and Bigun
Not even close to the best QB room in the SEC. Not even sure best in the East. Bama has Jones, Tagovailoa, Tyson, and Young, the number one QB in the 2020 class. Florida has Trask, Jones, and 4-star Anthony Richardson committed. Georgia is better at QB if Fromm comes back. They also have Mathis and 4-star Carson Beck committed. SC has Hilinski and 4-star Luke Doty committed. He is higher rated than Bailey. Ole Miss has Corral and Plumlee. I don't want to bad mouth our guys, but we can't even agree on who our starter will be next year.
Fans can't agree but I think it's clear who our starter is and deep down so does most of the Vol faithful. Bama has zero experience in their QB room this spring, Florida indeed does have a good room, GA losing Fromm leaves them starting from scratch as well. They all may be talented, but on paper and in the SPRING the Vols will have the fewest question marks and as much or more talent than anyone in the east for sure, save maybe Florida.

Reactions: QU1ZE
this upcoming Spring. We will have a veteran 3rd year starter, who while inconsistent, has proven to be a serviceable SEC starter ranking in the upper tier of all returning SEC QBs, we will have Blue Chip Fr Harrison Bailey, our highest acclaimed QB recruit since Peyton, Brian Maurer who has flashed well at times and seems to have the capabilities to be an SEC starter at QB, Big JT who is as physically gifted as anyone at the position with his prototypical size and cannon type arm strength and walkon Hill who has more experience than all other backups combined.

Guarantano, Bailey, Maurer, Hill, Shrout in my opinion will be the best QB group in the SEC come SPRING practice!

Pruitt will have his hands full keeping that group together past spring practice, but if he does then the next 3-4 seasons should be fun.

With all of the DL coming back plus Gooden... they will have the best DL UT has had in a very, very long time when looked at in terms of both quality and depth.

IMHO, the early losses and poor play came down to QB and DL. I am not yet won over (and maybe pushed the other way a bit due to the Vandy game) but JG had some nice outings at the end of the season. However the DL looked like a completely different group. Solomon was UT's best overall DL this year... and can a case be made that he was actually missed vs Vandy? I mean who would have EVER predicted that Matthew Butler would finish 7th on the team in tackles with 40? Most probably forgot he was on the roster.

I honestly have a hard time understanding why DL recruits are not flocking to UT. What they did with this patchwork of players was just short of a miracle.

You can say what you want but I have seen JG crash and burn too many times, once again my own personal opinion is BM has the highest ceiling of any QB's currently on the roster and I rather start BM (or HB) next year and have a chance at winning the east in 2021 instead of breaking in a new QB (in 2021) while the rest of the roster is ready to compete for championships.
What games did JG lose for Tn the last 3 seasons because of his bad play? What games the last 3 years would we have won with better QB play? Bottom line is that our record would not be much different the last 3 years with Fromm, Trask or Tua playing QB for the Vols. I also think we'd likely have a worse record the last 3 seasons with any of the QBs from SC, Texas A&M, Auburn, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss St and Arkansas.

Wow. You've come full circle.

I'm not sure that I'd go that far... but I am sure I would tell him that he does not enter next spring as the coronated starter like he did this year. And yeah, he needs to be told frankly that while showing more consistency and beating the bottom half of the SEC is nice... UT needs more to beat UF, UGA, and Bama.

VN Store

Back