Our offensive style doesn't match the players

ejvols4

I love the idea of the offense we've tried to run this season, but does anyone else feel like our players are a total mismatch?

Our offensive line is simply not going to get a push against SEC defensive lines like Pruitt wants when he calls power runs to convert short third downs. Jordan slammed into a wall more times than I could count tonight. It's demoralizing. Jajuan only makes passing cameos and never gets into any real rhythm and JG rarely gets to run the ball in a designed play.

I understand (and agree) with wanting to return to a more physical brand of football, but you'd think the coaching staff would try to scheme around the skills we do have instead of jamming a square peg in a round hole.

The whole reason Pruitt is here is because the old read option scheme didn't work. The offense will never change unless they start somewhere.

Reactions: igotworms
I have said many times and WILL SAY AGAIN..............we do not have SEC talent to run out of a pro set of any shape form or fashion. It requires a STRONG offensive line, tough hard running fullbacks, hard nosed tackles, guards, and tough strong offensive linemen , which is our weakest link ! We do not have an offensive line that could compete in the Ohio Valley Conference. Pruitt, of all people , should be able to see this. The spread offensive is our only hope with the players we how have. I see us winning maybe one or two more games, at the most. I have been watching Tennessee Football since the late 50's. No, I am not a football coach , did not play high school football due to getting a knee torn up playing baseball. It does not take Vince Lombardy to see our weaknesses ! In my opinion we have about two dozen players that are SEC caliber talent. Say what you want about the ,"old read option scheme not working" ! However, did what I see on the field work last night ?? Ask Josh Dobbs if it worked ! Pruitt is use to a powerful offensive line and tough hard nosed blocking. We simply do not have an O line ! I have said enough but nobody will change my mind on anything. The spread offensive will open running lanes even with a weak O line, like ours. Just sit back and watch . The spread, read option is our only hope with our present players. Perhaps in 5 to 10 years we may have the players that Pruit is use too. We are not going to line up and run over anybody for a long , long time !! IMO......a very poorly selection of offensive plays last night. No toss sweeps, no screen pases, no throwing to our running backs. Very poor play calling for a very poor offensive game, in general. Just my opinion. Was never even a remote contest ! In my 50 years of watching Tennessee Football, this was by far the worst prepared team I have ever seen. Jeremy Banks, thank God, and Calaway, Jennings................our brighest spots !

Last edited:
Our offense is like a baseball team that bunts on every pitch, just gain a little bit. I'm not saying swing for the fence but we do need to try and get it out of the infield after the 27 bunts didn't work

Reactions: ReelfootVol
Our offense broke school records in 15’ and 16’ lol
Because of about 3 skill guys playing flag football. The o-line wasn't very good then either. Then in '17 without Dobbs' legs to bail us out, everything got exposed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiderotsGhost
I love the idea of the offense we've tried to run this season, but does anyone else feel like our players are a total mismatch?

Our offensive line is simply not going to get a push against SEC defensive lines like Pruitt wants when he calls power runs to convert short third downs. Jordan slammed into a wall more times than I could count tonight. It's demoralizing. Jajuan only makes passing cameos and never gets into any real rhythm and JG rarely gets to run the ball in a designed play.

I understand (and agree) with wanting to return to a more physical brand of football, but you'd think the coaching staff would try to scheme around the skills we do have instead of jamming a square peg in a round hole.
I said the same thing when Botch arrived. Things is not going to change in one year. I do think Pruitt is a coach. Something UT has not had in a while.

I've said it a few times but for one last time I say it again: I still would have rather have had Currie and Leach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna just hang up and watch for a couple of years.

I hope I'm wrong!

VN Store

Back