Our offensive schemes are on a different level

Daniel_Lincolns_Foot

Just kickin' around ideas
Watching highlights from the last couple of weeks--starting with LSU. However this coaching staff is putting together schemes is literally making it look easy for our offense. Almost like a cheat code. True, there are plenty of playmakers, but almost every TD we've scored as of late has been an uncontested walk-in. Even at the goal line: our OL is creating huge holes and Wright/Small/Fant are just cruising in. This just seems like a real cohesive unit that knows their job and hits their assignments every single time. It's real fun to watch.

Want to add: our second scoring drive against Kentucky was one of the best of the season. Nothing flashy--a traditional 15-play, 75 yard drive with 13 runs I believe? It just goes to show that we don't HAVE to rely on the hurry-up-and-confuse-the-defense-with-tempo play style. We have a good OLine and backfield and we can play at whatever pace we want.

Really looking forward to this week and the Dawgs.

Last edited:
It’s fun reading other fanbases amazed with how Hyatt is always wide open.
I ask that question myself every game lately!😂 I know it’s a product of good scouting and a solid game plan, but damn, it’s not like he hasn’t done anything this season to warrant a little more attention from the defenses!

One big difference I've noticed from last season; the pace is still fast, but there are times that Hooker holds the snap while a play is coming in from the sideline. My guess is that Golesh has seen something in the defensive alignment and is changing the play to take advantage of it. This staff just isn't getting out coached.

I ask that question myself every game lately!😂 I know it’s a product of good scouting and a solid game plan, but damn, it’s not like he hasn’t done anything this season to warrant a little more attention from the defenses!

It's just how it works when you have the weapons we have and only11 guys to defend them. Most defenses are left with linebackers covering someone, so safeties HAVE to come down and help. When they do, we hit someone wide open who has burned their 1-on-1. If the safety doesn't come down to help, we hit the receiver that's being covered by the LB (good luck with that coverage). Pair that with the fact that we're running 3 plays a minute and there's just not enough time to adjust on the fly. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for defensive coordinators.

Reactions: Jacksonvol
Yeah, a different level if you mean easy and high-school level. UT's offensive scheme is gimmicky and easy to figure out. Once you do, it's super-easy to defend. This team is going to go 7-5 at best, near the bottom of the SEC East.

Watching highlights from the last couple of weeks--starting with LSU. However this coaching staff is putting together schemes is literally making it look easy for our offense. Almost like a cheat code. True, there are plenty of playmakers, but almost every TD we've scored as of late has been an uncontested walk-in. Even at the goal line: our OL is creating huge holes and Wright/Small/Fant are just cruising in. This just seems like a real cohesive unit that knows their job and hits their assignments every single time. It's real fun to watch.

Want to add: our second scoring drive against Kentucky was one of the best of the season. Nothing flashy--a traditional 15-play, 75 yard drive with 13 runs I believe? It just goes to show that we don't HAVE to rely on the hurry-up-and-confuse-the-defense-with-tempo play style. We have a good OLine and backfield and we can play at whatever pace we want.

I mentioned this in a thread a couple weeks ago.........it's amazing that when HH throws to our receivers, rarely are they defended by more than one player.......almost always 1 on 1.

Yeah, a different level if you mean easy and high-school level. UT's offensive scheme is gimmicky and easy to figure out. Once you do, it's super-easy to defend. This team is going to go 7-5 at best, near the bottom of the SEC East.
i guess you are a coach lol

One secret that I have discovered is that we don't run the same scheme week after week. That is why teams cannot game plan for them.

Heupel is an expert at looking at weaknesses of his opponents and coming up with a method to attack their defense. These attacks have changed every game.

LSU we mostly ran first. It was odd but that seemed the best strategy.

Alabama, it was the deep ball attacks taking advantage of 1-on-1 matchups with Hyatt.

Against Kentucky, it was spreading the field Horizontally at first and then lulling their defense into sleep and hitting them with a deep shot. We also mixed in runs to support this attack.

One secret that I have discovered is that we don't run the same scheme week after week. That is why teams cannot game plan for them.

Heupel is an expert at looking at weaknesses of his opponents and coming up with a method to attack their defense. These attacks have changed every game.

LSU we mostly ran first. It was odd but that seemed the best strategy.

Alabama, it was the deep ball attacks taking advantage of 1-on-1 matchups with Hyatt.

Against Kentucky, it was spreading the field Horizontally at first and then lulling their defense into sleep and hitting them with a deep shot. We also mixed in runs to support this attack.
I think we'll have a plan like Bama and KY at least in first half. Will have to anticipate heat from UGA DL/LB group, so will be important to scheme runs and quick passes in space to keep Hooker from being hit...obviously w/ some 1 on 1 shots down the field. Think we may adjust as the game evolves...but JH will have a plan. IF UGA has a weakness, it's their DBs aren't quite the same level as front 7, though obviously the toughest D we'll face.

Rick Neuheisel is currently discussing our offense on ESPNU Radio right now…and he’s picking Tennessee. He doesn’t think Georgia can cover it with our running game, including Hooker’s ability to run when necessary.

it’s going to be interesting to see what Kirby comes up with to cover our WR. is he going to split the difference with safeties like Saban tried to do, or is gonna cover the stacks on both sides man to man.

either way, it’s a nightmare to strategize because one way or another you have to deal with the Hooker factor…he’s either gonna run on you or throw on you.
GBO!!!!!

it's scheme, but it is also tempo. when you're scurrying back as a safety to just get into position and the opposing wr's are changing positions right up until the snap, how much time do you really have to scan the field, analyze strong side vs. weak and predict the area of the field you need to support? the answer is not very much and mistakes by opposing defenses even good ones are being made a lot.

I think we'll have a plan like Bama and KY at least in first half. Will have to anticipate heat from UGA DL/LB group, so will be important to scheme runs and quick passes in space to keep Hooker from being hit...obviously w/ some 1 on 1 shots down the field. Think we may adjust as the game evolves...but JH will have a plan. IF UGA has a weakness, it's their DBs aren't quite the same level as front 7, though obviously the toughest D we'll face.

Agree. I do think the secret to beating Georgia is going to be similar to what happened last year in Atlanta. Alabama's WR core exposed Georgia's secondary in that game. I think Georgia is still vulnerable to this attack.

Key will be whether our defense can step it up or not as well.

The only intangible on defense Georgia brings versus other teams is that they do have strong front that could put pressure on Hooker. I am not so sure Georgia's secondary is that much an upgrade over the ones we faced with Alabama and Kentucky like everyone is touting it to be.

So here's one element of our success.

Teams would have to re-tool how they play defense to be effective against our receivers.

Something as simple as: "cornerbacks line up on the receivers that are out on the edges, star takes the slot receiver, linebacker picks up any RB that squirts out, or receiver lined up as a wingback or second slot guy." You build your entire defense around this basic concept.

And then Tennessee goes and puts their best two receivers in the slot together. Or lined up at the wing. And they snap it so fast, even if the coach notices and starts yelling at the players to adjust, it's too late, the play has already started.

And the next series, the coaches having shifted EVERYTHING around so their best cornerbacks are now in the slot, or they've shifted to cover 2 zone, NOW the best receivers are way out on the edge, and the defenders are totally out of position to get to them in time.

And so it goes, the entire game. No defense is built for what Heupel & Golesh do. They would have to redesign their entire defensive playbook to suit it.

Will they one day start doing this? Probably. Once Tennessee becomes THE team to beat in the East, all the teams in the East will start re-tooling their schemes and playbooks in an effort to catch up. I mean, this is a lot of extra effort, but they'll do it because they have to.

The West teams won't do it, at least not in the next few years, because they don't play us annually.

~ ~ ~

And meanwhile, offenses will begin to adopt some version of the veer & shoot / run & shoot / air raid / spread, because they see the success it can bring. And by "adopt" I mean fire coaching staffs that aren't winning enough, and hire guys from the run & shoot / air raid cabal (Hal Mumme, June Jones, Art Briles, Mike Leach acolytes).

More and more, this is what offensive football looks like at the uppermost tier of the college game. [and begins to spread into the lower tiers, as well as more and more up into the NFL]

Thirty years from now, this is college football. What folks see when they watch the Vols in 2022 is what they see when they watch any successful team in 2050.

It sparked starting in the 1990s or so, and continued to burn like embers through the 2000s and 2010s. Josh Heupel and the Vols are going to make it mainstream.

We are the future of football.

~ ~ ~

Sorry, got off topic. But I've been thinking about this for a while now, wanted to get it out there. This seemed a decent thread for it.

Go Vols!

I said it earlier in the season and meant it…before it was proven on the field. Last season’s team had only a portion of the total scheme implemented as they learned it. We still haven’t seen a full representation. When we think we’re seeing a new wrinkle, that’s just a new introduction that was already in the pages. What makes it visibly awing is when individual players “get it” at points. The Jalin Hyatt we’re witnessing wasn’t quite there against Bowling Green and Pitt. That’s why opposing fans clutching at straws in hope that we’re losing our most explosive players will be devastated when Squirrel “gets it” after a full off-season with Pope programming the JUGS machine at him. 😏

CJH knows how to scheme and UT has great receivers. On Hyatt's first TD, he swapped places with Tillman and wound up on a linebacker. The LB Passed him off to the safety who was over the top. The safety dropped down to help the CB who was on Tillman on a deep crossing post route. Hyatt was then wide open. If the safety had stayed up top then Tillman would have been open on his deep crosser. He might not have scored a TD but it would have been a big gainer. Nobody has the CB's to cover both Tillman and Hyatt on deep balls. Then with McCoy's size and strength on short to midrange passes it is a deadly combo that nobody has been able to handle. Add the TE's and RB's into the picture and you have an offensive nightmare nobody can handle.

Last edited:
Impossible to scheme for. Stoops had 2 weeks and couldn't do it. When they're coming at you every 7-12 seconds and you can't adjust on D, lol how frustrating must it be. Good luck Kirby.

It’s the schemes but it’s more so the speed at which they do it. It’s break neck and they catch you coverages you aren’t accustom to. They can’t sub like they want because Tennessee won’t allow it and the depth won’t be as much of an issue. I’d be worried if this was past teams where Georgia could stay fresh but I think it’s a safe bet that Hook, CJH, and CAG push the peddle a little further. We’ve seen a lot of new sets in the offense and I’m interested to see what they bring this week.

If Tennessee can win up front and stay on top of the twists and stunts they should be ok.

Reactions: VetVol
What the hell you smoking ??:)

So here's one element of our success.

Teams would have to re-tool how they play defense to be effective against our receivers.

Something as simple as: "cornerbacks line up on the receivers that are out on the edges, star takes the slot receiver, linebacker picks up any RB that squirts out, or receiver lined up as a wingback or second slot guy." You build your entire defense around this basic concept.

And then Tennessee goes and puts their best two receivers in the slot together. Or lined up at the wing. And they snap it so fast, even if the coach notices and starts yelling at the players to adjust, it's too late, the play has already started.

And the next series, the coaches having shifted EVERYTHING around so their best cornerbacks are now in the slot, or they've shifted to cover 2 zone, NOW the best receivers are way out on the edge, and the defenders are totally out of position to get to them in time.

And so it goes, the entire game. No defense is built for what Heupel & Golesh do. They would have to redesign their entire defensive playbook to suit it.

Will they one day start doing this? Probably. Once Tennessee becomes THE team to beat in the East, all the teams in the East will start re-tooling their schemes and playbooks in an effort to catch up. I mean, this is a lot of extra effort, but they'll do it because they have to.

The West teams won't do it, at least not in the next few years, because they don't play us annually.

~ ~ ~

And meanwhile, offenses will begin to adopt some version of the veer & shoot / run & shoot / air raid / spread, because they see the success it can bring. And by "adopt" I mean fire coaching staffs that aren't winning enough, and hire guys from the run & shoot / air raid cabal (Hal Mumme, June Jones, Art Briles, Mike Leach acolytes).

More and more, this is what offensive football looks like at the uppermost tier of the college game. [and begins to spread into the lower tiers, as well as more and more up into the NFL]

Thirty years from now, this is college football. What folks see when they watch the Vols in 2022 is what they see when they watch any successful team in 2050.

It sparked starting in the 1990s or so, and continued to burn like embers through the 2000s and 2010s. Josh Heupel and the Vols are going to make it mainstream.

We are the future of football.

~ ~ ~

Sorry, got off topic. But I've been thinking about this for a while now, wanted to get it out there. This seemed a decent thread for it.

Go Vols!
Yeah I think teams like Auburn and Florida aren't really tooled up for this philosophically w/ their head coaches right now. KY too, but they're happy just to be semi relevant w/ Stoops. So, I do think there's going to be some teams who rationalize their HC like we've done too many times over the last decade +...hoping they are the answer, but deep down, knowing they aren't.

i think that second drive against KY was to give Georgia something else to worry about

Rick Neuheisel is currently discussing our offense on ESPNU Radio right now…and he’s picking Tennessee. He doesn’t think Georgia can cover it with our running game, including Hooker’s ability to run when necessary.

it’s going to be interesting to see what Kirby comes up with to cover our WR. is he going to split the difference with safeties like Saban tried to do, or is gonna cover the stacks on both sides man to man.

either way, it’s a nightmare to strategize because one way or another you have to deal with the Hooker factor…he’s either gonna run on you or throw on you.
GBO!!!!!

"Full Ride" with Neuheisel and the Show Pony is pretty good sports talk radio...............

Reactions: Jake

VN Store

Back