Our Home

vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member

We come home to feel the pride and the adrenaline, again.
We come home to remember the greats that came before us.
We come home to give our all for Tennessee.
So why don’t you come home… to our home?

Heard an interesting comment from Ubben today. Can't quote it verbatim, but he was talking about the support. And he said something like, "......even without a return on their investement. It's just different at Tennessee than it is everywhere else."

What do you think it is exactly? Or why do you think it is? Maybe a generational thing?

Love the chill I get when the band is performing up and down the field and the Vols run out onto the field. I’ve spent a lot of time in Knoxville. Great memories. The older I get, and moving three hours away, makes it more difficult to get back home to Neyland.

Heard an interesting comment from Ubben today. Can't quote it verbatim, but he was talking about the support. And he said something like, "......even without a return on their investement. It's just different at Tennessee than it is everywhere else."

What do you think it is exactly? Or why do you think it is? Maybe a generational thing?

Tennessee football, other athletics, and the activities around it like the Pride of the Southland Band, have set a standard for excellence for 100 years.
Excellence that is aspirational, but also attainable, if you work hard enough. Think Pat Summit and the Lady Vols.

This means something to the community.

Last edited:
Welll, for many of us older Vols, I'd submit that this man has a lot to do with it. In the days before every game was on TV, he brought Tennessee teams to life to the legions of people across the state who couldn't be at Neyland Stadium, and he did it in a professional, classy way. He was certainly a Tennessee alum and fan but he was not outlandish like the oafish Larry "hobnail" Munson. And then when we were finally able to make it to Knoxville, we either still listened to him on transistor radios in the stadium or watched the coach's show with him as host the next morning.

John-Ward.jpg

I was at this Vanderbilt game where this farewell photo was taken (not my pix), sitting with my daughter in the North End Zone near where he was standing on the field while he was being recognized. Not ashamed in the least to say I shed several tears at the memories of listening to him in my small Midstate town all those years ago. He helped make it Home to me.

Last edited:
Welll, for many of us older Vols, I'd submit that this man has a lot to do with it. In the days before every game was on TV, he brought Tennessee teams to life to the legions of people across the state who couldn't be at Neyland Stadium, and he did it in a professional, classy way. He was certainly a Tennessee alum and fan but he was not outlandish like the oafish Larry "hobnail" Munson. And then when were were finally able to make it to Knoxville, we either still listened to him on transistor radios in the stadium or watched the coaches show with him as host the next morning.

View attachment 234998

I was at this Vanderbilt game where this farewell photo was taken, sitting with my daughter in the North End Zone near where he was standing on the field while he was being recognized. Not ashamed in the least to say I shed several tears at the memories of listening to him in my small Midstate town all those years ago. He helped make it Home to me.
Used to sit on the tailgate of my dad's old pickup with him and one of his friends after deer hunting alot when I was a kid....eating a sammich and listening to John Ward.....good ole days!

Welll, for many of us older Vols, I'd submit that this man has a lot to do with it. In the days before every game was on TV, he brought Tennessee teams to life to the legions of people across the state who couldn't be at Neyland Stadium, and he did it in a professional, classy way. He was certainly a Tennessee alum and fan but he was not outlandish like the oafish Larry "hobnail" Munson. And then when we were finally able to make it to Knoxville, we either still listened to him on transistor radios in the stadium or watched the coach's show with him as host the next morning.

View attachment 234998

I was at this Vanderbilt game where this farewell photo was taken (not my pix), sitting with my daughter in the North End Zone near where he was standing on the field while he was being recognized. Not ashamed in the least to say I shed several tears at the memories of listening to him in my small Midstate town all those years ago. He helped make it Home to me.

I’m a grown damn man crying while looking at this picture. I MISS that man’s voice!

I remember growing up. The world stopped in East Tennessee when the Vols played. If you weren't in front of a television, John Ward could be heard calling play by play on the radio. Stories of current players and past greats were shared with the younger crowd. You learned Tennessee pride from your elders. We all cling to the Vols and share a common bond.

The only other place that I have ever been that had that same mentality was when I lived in Wisconsin and Green Bay Packers play.

Last edited:
Say it Man! I think that's what the OP is asking us.

Ok, well, my Daddy (RIP) loved him some UT football. He was a poor country boy who didn't go to college, because he got drafted out of high school before he even graduated to fight in WWII. He married my Momma on leave between basic training and shipping out. He got wounded and captured by the Germans at the Rapido River (you can google that). My Momma was working at an airplane factory in Ohio and got word he was MIA, before learning that he was alive and a POW. He got away when Russian tanks and artillery rolled into the town where he was being held at a POW camp in Poland. He and some other guys stole a tractor with a wagon and drove it to France where they eventually hooked up with U.S. forces and finally made their way home and he was reunited with my Momma. They had a restaurant at a boat dock in middle Tennessee, but moved to South Knoxville when I was six months old so my older sister could attend TSD. Daddy got his GED and went to business school on the GI bill, then got a job as an accountant at a local dry cleaning chain. He paid for Momma to go to beauty school and then she opened a beauty shop. We didn't have a lot of money, but they worked their asses off to provide for us and I never felt poor. My Daddy loved football, and became a huge UT fan. He couldn't afford tickets, but we could see the lights and hear the roar of Neyland Stadium from across the river, and we listened to John Ward call the games on the radio. Later on, my Daddy was able to afford season tickets, and went to every game except when he gave them to the then grown up me and my then newlywed Mrs. Later he could no longer go to the games, but he watched every one on TV or listened to them on the radio if they weren't on TV. (I played in band, and in high school actally got to march on Shields Watkins field before a game one time as part of some sort of high school invitational. My Daddy was proud.) I attended UTC on a band scholarship, but came back home after one semester because I missed my future Mrs. too much. I went to UTK, but later dropped out. My Daddy wasn't too proud of that, but he helped me get a job that kickstarted my career. My wife's Dad (RIP) was a professor at UT so her family was All Vol. Her Mom (RIP) was the world's greatest Lady Vols fan and went to every game. So we came from completely different backgrounds, but the University of Tennessee and the Vols are like a river that runs through our lives.

Last edited:
Remember going over to the University of Florida's official website 2-3 years after 1998 after discovering they had archived radio broadcasts of their games dating back to the mid-1990s.

Listened to the 1998 game. At the very end when their kicker misses the field goal in overtime, their color guy remarks to Mick Hubert with the following:

"I can't even hear myself think."

As its best, this is what Neyland Stadium is all about.

Reactions: vollygirl

View attachment 234998

Best announcing duo ever for college football and it isnt close.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Ok, well, my Daddy (RIP) loved him some UT football. He was a poor country boy who didn't go to college, because he got drafted out of high school before he even graduated to fight in WWII. He married my Momma on leave between basic training and shipping out. He got wounded and captured by the Germans at the Rapido River (you can google that). My Momma was working at an airplane factory in Ohio and got word he was MIA, before learning that he was alive and a POW. He got away when Russian tanks and artillery rolled into the town where he was being held at a POW camp in Poland. He and some other guys stole a tractor with a wagon and drove it to France where they eventually hooked up with U.S. forces and finally made their way home and he was reunited with my Momma. They had a restaurant at a boat dock in middle Tennessee, but moved to South Knoxville when I was six months old so my older sister could attend TSD. Daddy got his GED and went to business school on the GI bill, then got a job as an accountant at a local dry cleaning chain. He paid for Momma to go to beauty school and then she opened a beauty shop. We didn't have a lot of money, but they worked their asses off to provide for us and I never felt poor. My Daddy loved football, and became a huge UT fan. He couldn't afford tickets, but we could see the lights and hear the roar of Neyland Stadium from across the river, and we listened to John Ward call the games on the radio. Later on, my Daddy was able to afford season tickets, and went to every game except when he gave them to the then grown up me and my then newlywed Mrs. Later he could no longer go to the games, but he watched every one on TV or listened to them on the radio if they weren't on TV. (I played in band, and in high school actally got to march on Shields Watkins field before a game one time as part of some sort of high school invitational. My Daddy was proud.) I attended UTC on a band scholarship, but came back home after one semester because I missed my future Mrs. too much. I went to UTK, but later dropped out. My Daddy wasn't too proud of that, but he helped me get a job that kickstarted my career. My wife's Dad (RIP) was a professor at UT so her family was All Vol. Her Mom (RIP) was the world's greatest Lady Vols fan and went to every game. So we came from completely different backgrounds, but the University of Tennessee and the Vols are like a river that runs through our lives.
I really enjoyed reading that, thanks for sharing

View attachment 234998

Even when most every game was on TV, the radio was turned on and the TV volume was turned silent. Tickled us to hear John saying "Five, Four Three...." and the scoring player was tossing the ref the ball and on his way to the sidelines. John Ward knew how to bring the game to life. Only radio broadcaster I know of who could come close is Mike Keith. A crying shame the Vol Network didn't hire him.

Remember going over to the University of Florida's official website 2-3 years after 1998 after discovering they had archived radio broadcasts of their games dating back to the mid-1990s.

Listened to the 1998 game. At the very end when their kicker misses the field goal in overtime, their color guy remarks to Mick Hubert with the following:

"I can't even hear myself think."

As its best, this is what Neyland Stadium is all about.
I was there. I was loud!

It's the people. Tennessee's greatest resource is its people.

VN Store

Back