Our football schedules???

Vandy also goes bowling every year too! Maybe they're onto something? But......... we're UT and we like tough ooc games cause we still think it's the 90's and we should be good by default!

First of all, Vandy doesnt go bowling every year.

Secondly, the bowls that Vandy goes to mean absolutely nothing and it will never ever lead to a championship or even a BCS bowl for Vanderbilt. They are at the historical peak recruiting and winning for that program and it will only last as long as James Franklin doesnt find a better job somewhere else.

Tennessee, on the other hand is at the absolute bottom, historically speaking. The program has never been this bad. How Tennessee played in the 1990's was much closer to how Tennessee has always played.

This has everything to do with past coaching mistakes and administration and has nothing to do with the UT football program being "finished". Tennessee will undoubtedly be back on top. So we need to act with some pride and play tough teams for the experience. These players will benefit from it down the road.

We dont need to act like Vanderbilt, please. I would rather play a tough team and go 5-7, than play another cupcake and go 6-6 and go to a meaningless bowl game.

Act like you been there before, son.

Reactions: 4 people
Every team in our division except Missouri and Vandy played a top 10 team OOC game this year. This myth that we are the only SEC school that plays anyone just won't die.

Oregon is by far the toughest OOC team Tennessee has played in over a decade. You would have to go back to when we played Miami in 2003 to find a comparable game.

The teams we have played recently (NC State, Cinci, UCLA, Cal, Notre Dame) were NOT all that tough and very winnable games.

The toughness of Tennessee's schedule comes from within the conference.

Why throw another cupcake OOC game on the schedule just so we can go 6-6 and get to a meaningless bowl game?? Does that make us a better football team? No, obviously.

I would rather our players see what real football looks like so that they can go work at playing like that.

So playing an SEC schedule is not real football...and you like them playing high ranked non conference opponents as well. So to heck with them going to "any kind" of bowl game in the near future? Wow!

Reactions: 1 person
Actually Utah State (Mountain West runner up team) will be a tough one as well. They will challenge our new starters with a veteran bowl team.

Vandy also goes bowling every year too! Maybe they're onto something? But......... we're UT and we like tough ooc games cause we still think it's the 90's and we should be good by default!

Vandy....haha....goes bowling....haha....every year.....BAHAHAHA!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Another sackless thread about our schedule...we just have to get better! Bottom line!! Playing the School for the Blind doesn't help in any way but getting your a** kicked will definitely tell you who you really are.

First of all, Vandy doesnt go bowling every year.

Secondly, the bowls that Vandy goes to mean absolutely nothing and it will never ever lead to a championship or even a BCS bowl for Vanderbilt. They are at the historical peak recruiting and winning for that program and it will only last as long as James Franklin doesnt find a better job somewhere else.

Tennessee, on the other hand is at the absolute bottom, historically speaking. The program has never been this bad. How Tennessee played in the 1990's was much closer to how Tennessee has always played.

This has everything to do with past coaching mistakes and administration and has nothing to do with the UT football program being "finished". Tennessee will undoubtedly be back on top. So we need to act with some pride and play tough teams for the experience. These players will benefit from it down the road.

We dont need to act like Vanderbilt, please. I would rather play a tough team and go 5-7, than play another cupcake and go 6-6 and go to a meaningless bowl game.

Act like you been there before, son.

Vandy has been to a bowl every year since they got a good coach! They also beat UT with a qb who was playing on a torn ACL!

I have a hard time understanding why we are so set on maintaining one of the hardest schedules in the country. Take this year for example...wow! I mean did our AD think we would actually be competitive against Oregon...and Oklahoma next year? (Not to mention we already play in the toughest conference in America). I know these schedules are made out several years in advance and some people want to point to "good exposure", but it doesn't make good sense to me. You don't see LSU,AU,SC,Bama, etc... going out of their way to schedule this way. Some of you may take pride in the statement "we play the toughest schedule in America"....well I don't. How many people do you think care? At the end of the day...a losing record is a losing record. It simply doesn't make sense to me to schedule this way when we're at such a low right now. This has bothered me for a while...just had to vent a little.

Next thing you know we will be playing top 10 teams at NASCAR race tracks, on Aircraft Carriers and in English Soccor Stadiums!

Personally, I want Tennessee to play Air Force at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs so I can drive across town for a great game. Air Force has had a few down years and UT can cruise in this one!

Oregon is by far the toughest OOC team Tennessee has played in over a decade. You would have to go back to when we played Miami in 2003 to find a comparable game.

The teams we have played recently (NC State, Cinci, UCLA, Cal, Notre Dame) were NOT all that tough and very winnable games.

The toughness of Tennessee's schedule comes from within the conference.

Oklahoma doesn't have a lot of seniors, so you better hope they have a slew of underclassman declare early!

We get to see what they have against bammer in the Sugar Bowl.

Vandy has been to a bowl every year since they got a good coach! They also beat UT with a qb who was playing on a torn ACL!

Correction: They beat THE WORST UT football team in the history of UT football (in 2012 and 2013).

Like I said, when Franklin leaves (and he most definitely will) the party for Vandy is over.

And a "party" for Vandy is beating a horrendous UT team and going to a meaningless bowl game.

Oklahoma doesn't have a lot of seniors, so you better hope they have a slew of underclassman declare early!

We get to see what they have against bammer in the Sugar Bowl.

The only way we find out if Butch Jones is actually a good football coach is to make him coach against other good football coaches.

So I say let them play and see what happens.

I have a hard time understanding why we are so set on maintaining one of the hardest schedules in the country. Take this year for example...wow! I mean did our AD think we would actually be competitive against Oregon...and Oklahoma next year? (Not to mention we already play in the toughest conference in America). I know these schedules are made out several years in advance and some people want to point to "good exposure", but it doesn't make good sense to me. You don't see LSU,AU,SC,Bama, etc... going out of their way to schedule this way. Some of you may take pride in the statement "we play the toughest schedule in America"....well I don't. How many people do you think care? At the end of the day...a losing record is a losing record. It simply doesn't make sense to me to schedule this way when we're at such a low right now. This has bothered me for a while...just had to vent a little.

when the Oregon contract was signed, Oregon was not like Oregon is today or recently..

Signing schools up for a game 10 years from now there is no way to know how good or bad they might be. If we signed Kansas for 2022 and 23, they might be the best in the Big 21 at that time but are horrible right now.

So playing an SEC schedule is not real football...and you like them playing high ranked non conference opponents as well. So to heck with them going to "any kind" of bowl game in the near future? Wow!

We need to beat SEC teams. Thats all that really matters.

If we have to play UCLA or Cal or Cincinnati in our non-conference schedule then so be it. The non conference schedule should not be the deciding factor of our season.

If you are happy with UT beating 4 cupcake OOC teams plus Vandy and Kentucky and that is your idea of an acceptable season, then you are definitely a new generation of Vols fan that I dont recognize or identify with.

I'm begining to think Franklin's super hero strengths come from his DC and Schedule. I saw him in that video and he is quite a motivator like Al Wilson was for us.

Speaking of Mr. Wilson, wouldn't he make a great LB coach?

when the Oregon contract was signed, Oregon was not like Oregon is today or recently..

Signing schools up for a game 10 years from now there is no way to know how good or bad they might be. If we signed Kansas for 2022 and 23, they might be the best in the Big 21 at that time but are horrible right now.

You just detailed why I no long care for home-and-home series. They are scheduled so far out that there is no way to know how relevant they will actually be when they roll around. I much prefer neutral site games that get scheduled 18 to 24 months out. While you can never guarantee that a team will stay hot year to year, it's better than hoping they stay hot decade to decade.

I'm begining to think Franklin's super hero strengths come from his DC and Schedule. I saw him in that video and he is quite a motivator like Al Wilson was for us.

Speaking of Mr. Wilson, wouldn't he make a great LB coach?

Franklin's success comes from the fact that Derek Dooley pretty much stopped recruiting in Tennessee and also coached us to the most horrendous 3 years in program history. James Franklin was lucky enough to have been the coach at Vandy during this time.

Speaking of schedule: we still have the potential move to 9 conference games and the proposed elimination of cross-division rivalry games: TN-AL, GA-AUB, LSU-FL, VY-Miss, KY-MSU, aTm-USCe, ARK-Mizzou...TN-AL and GA-AUB are the only ones that are being strongly defended.

9 SEC games would reduce OOC games to 3 unless a special game is involved like pigskin classic or a road trip to Hawaii....Aloha baby with defacto bowl game!

Man how things have changed around here. Seems like just yesterday when Hammy was getting hammered for buying out the UNC game. Now people want us to not to play a tough OOC schedule. Smh

I would bet that playing a game versus Oregon and OU has more of a draw to recruits than changing unis like a queen or changing to Nike.

We've been playing a solid OOC for a long time so leave it be and stop whining about it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Franklin's success comes from the fact that Derek Dooley pretty much stopped recruiting in Tennessee and also coached us to the most horrendous 3 years in program history. James Franklin was lucky enough to have been the coach at Vandy during this time.

I had CDD blocked out of my memory until you brought back that trauma...thank you very much!

If we have to play UCLA or Cal or Cincinnati in our non-conference schedule then so be it. The non conference schedule should not be the deciding factor of our season.

If you are happy with UT beating 4 cupcake OOC teams plus Vandy and Kentucky and that is your idea of an acceptable season, then you are definitely a new generation of Vols fan that I dont recognize or identify with.

Of course we need to beat SEC teams. We also need wins over our non conference games....especially right now. Why?? Because we are REBUILDING right now and EVERY win is big...and getting to ANY bowl game is big right now because we need the 15 extra practices. You need to realize these things before you think all that matters is beating the big boys. Because you know what....we're not on their level right now. We will be...but we're not there yet. So this is the current status of hype program that as a fan "I" realize and "identify" with!

To that point, any team and not just UT, that is winning their SEC schedule will not likely lose many of their OOC games. For that matter if a team is posting an SEC record better than .500, said team will still win most of their OOC regardless of the opponent.

I'll give you this..... as much as I dislike that arrogant, classless prick of a coach you have, the guy is a good coach. He's been able to do something that virtually no other Vandy coach has been able to do in your program's pathetic history.....actually not roll over and play dead vs teams they should have a chance to beat.

You guys went 4-0, barely, vs the disgraceful OOC schedule that you had...congrats.

Next you beat the worst, most injury plagued Florida team (by the time you played them) since 1979....a 4 win Florida team. Yes, I know one of the wins was vs UT, we'll address that in a minute.

Then you beat another injury-plagued team who also had their best pass rusher wrongly ejected from the game. Add to that a turnover by a freshman rb fairly deep in Georgia territory and punter who gave you yet another ridiculously short field.....wa la, you have your "signature" win vs Georgia.

Now, I'll give Franklin credit here. In Vandy's past, they'd have lost the games vs Florida and Georgia. However, the good fortune bestowed on you guys that made it possible for you to win vs these 2 teams was nothing short of miraculous. Franklins team was very opportunistic.... when both Florida and Georgia continually gave you short fields, you guys actually took advantage. Vandy, uncharacteristically, didn't act like the pansy ass losers you've always been, they actually, under Snakehead's leadership, went out and found a way to win those games.

Let's see how you did vs the better teams on your schedule. Ole miss, 7-5 team, you lost at home. TexasA&M?.... Blown out. Mizzou? Blown out. S Carolina.... Blown out, down 28-0 early until they clearly let off the gas.

Speaking of schedules. How did you guys do vs Alabama and Auburn? What? You didn't play either of those guys?

Finally, you beat Tennessee. A very bad Tennessee team, struggling to find its way, playing its 3rd-4th string freshman QB who couldn't pass a kidney stone, especially after he lost UTs best, most productive WR (a true freshman WR btw). And it took 2 plays, an inconsequential block in the back that overturned what would've been the game winning UT touchdown and a reply reversal where the officials blatantly disregarded the rule stating they must have conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field.

I'll say it again. I know you're not used to how things work because you're not used to winning programs as a Vandy fan. But things are about to change. Tennessee has a talent problem that is getting fixed at a very fast rate. Last year Vandy's final Rivals class rank was #21, UT's was only a notch or two higher..... virtually the same. This year, Vandy sits around #25 with 3-4 4 stars, UT is #2 currently with around 17-18 4 stars and a couple 5 stars. Approximately 40%of UT's roster will turn over this year. Poor, slow players with a defeatist attitude will be gone, replaced with very good to elite players, very fast players who know nothing but winning.

So your time at Vandy has come and it is nearly gone. Just for giggles, I'll even give you one more year of success vs UT. I'll actually give you the 2014 game. Write it down.... I think Vandy beats UT in 2014....But 2015 and as far as the eye can see into the future, Vandy is gonna absolutely get it's candy ass handed to it by the state school .... just as it has always been and should always be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back