Other than Notre Dame

The biggest comeback win in Tennessee football history remains the 1987 Vanderbilt game. We trailed 28-3 late in the first quarter. After we finally got our running game untracked, we reeled off five consecutive touchdowns and ultimately won, 38-36.
I was there, was straight pissed early on, couldn’t believe what I was seeing. But then Cobb and Davis and the boys got it rolling and the rest is history.

I was there, was straight pissed early on, couldn’t believe what I was seeing. But then Cobb and Davis and the boys got it rolling and the rest is history.

Yep, Vandy played probably their best quarter of football in the last 100 years. Then we dusted ourselves off, said “Ho hum,” proceeded to run the ball down their throats and held on for the victory.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Not the best comeback. But it may be one of the most important for re-establishing the Tennessee way of playing football. The program needed this in the worst way. This kind of effort becomes part of the culture and story of a program. It also gives the young men on future teams a certainty that when you wear the Power T on your helmet, that things like this are expected and you play accordingly

Best comeback ever was Arkansas in 98 /thread
The emotional swing in that game was like none other. My buddy says Neyland is the best place on earth when the Vols win and the worst when they lose. That game was both in the same game.

Reactions: beamerman
In addition to others mentioned, 1986 Sugar Bowl comes to mind as does a game in 1991 played in South Bend.

Good win at this point in the program's history but let's keep it in perspective.

Down 21-3 to Florida in 2016, ran off 35 straight points for the comeback beat down. Prefer that one to the poorly played game tonight.
They were actually down 21-0 with about 4 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. The '98 Arkansas game has been mentioned, as has the Miracle in South Bend and LSU in 2005. Those games were all either 21-3 or 21-0. Notre Dame's lead reached 31-7 before the last play of the 1st half. Tennessee also trailed Vanderbilt 28-3 in 1987, but came back and won 38-36. Nobody ever mentions that as being a great comeback because it was so embarrassing to be trailing Vandy 28-3 in the first place.

In addition to others mentioned, 1986 Sugar Bowl comes to mind as does a game in 1991 played in South Bend.

Good win at this point in the program's history but let's keep it in perspective.
You mean the 91 sugar bowl vs. Uva, 86 was UT blowing out Miami

The Hail Mary catch in the end zone by JJ to beat Georgia is up there on the list

Or how about 2006 when they were ranked in the Top Ten and led 24-7 with less than a minute to go before halftime? We scored a TD right before going into the locker room and then came back to steamroll them in the second-half and win 51-33.

Reactions: imavolfan
The comeback win in South Bend was the most important because of who we were playing, the magnitude of the deficit overcome and where we were playing. I had a buddy at work who is a Notre Dame alum and diehard football fan. He was near suicidal for a week and does not like to be reminded that Notre Dame and UT are 4 – 4 against each other in the last 50 years or so.

Tennessee football running hot and cold as long standing tradition I remember a two week stretch in the late 70s when Tennessee lost to Rutgers and beat Notre Dame at home the next weekend.

VN Store

Back