Other than finding a QB what are the coach's 3 biggest position issues for 2021?

Not sure what you are basing all that on as we return about 150 yards rushing from last year
Sounds like a Pruitt stance. Keep em on the bench until they produce. I like their running styles better than what we kept throwing on the field.

Gray played in 25 D1 games, Evans ?
Moving the goal posts. They were in the same class. Kamara not good because of his JUCO stint? Did anyone who projected greatness for him need to wait? Two philosophies conflicting here...they suck til they don’t vs everything’s there waiting for a showcase. Concede we ain’t agreeing on this one.

What are your concerns on the OL? I think the guys who are gone largely underperformed. They never became the dominant group they were expected to be. Some units are greater than the sum of their talents... and some are not as good as the sum of their talents.

I LOVE Spraggins and have confidence in the Mays Bros. There are holes to fill but quality coaching and a scheme that in CJH's words puts OL's in a position to be successful can help a lot.

My concerns are all on D and primarily LB. It isn't just talent... I don't see "bodies" to play ILB. There are thin spots across the D but has anyone on the roster outside of Banks even seen playing time at ILB?

I could see them having to get REAL creative in the back 7 on D.

I think Smith opens up a leadership and talent void which is probably the biggest issue. The group needs someone to coalesce around going into a new scheme.

Morris underperformed but ostensibly had the talent to turn the corner with better coaching and be a dominant player.

The rest of the returning players were pretty meh overall. I dont see any of them blowing up into All SEC or developing into 1st round talents. They could be serviceable and develop into an effective unit but having the talent along with the intangibles helps.

I think Smith opens up a leadership and talent void which is probably the biggest issue. The group needs someone to coalesce around going into a new scheme.

Morris underperformed but ostensibly had the talent to turn the corner with better coaching and be a dominant player.

The rest of the returning players were pretty meh overall. I dont see any of them blowing up into All SEC or developing into 1st round talents. They could be serviceable and develop into an effective unit but having the talent along with the intangibles helps.
I don't think Mizzou had talent as good as UT has now when Heupel was there. They were first in sacks allowed both years and avg'd about 5 ypc. My hope is the scheme helps UT's OL's that much.

1)I'm going with a big TE who can line up and beat a LB for a first down. Then pancake a lb on a running play
2)Edge rusher who by the 2nd qt. requires a double team.
3)A safety who makes the middle his,want bite on the run option, and can deliver a "holy s***" tackle

1. End rushers
2. Solid two RBs
3. Linebackers

Thoughts besides every position lol
I dont see running back as a glaring need.
I would go with
1. Offensive line
2. Defensive line
3. Defensive backs or line backers.

I think we are in a good spot with quarterbacks and wide receivers. Running backs are unproven but we have talent there.
On the offensive line we have some good talent but we have very little depth there.
Defense is gonna be a guessing game. We have talent but it's a huge question mark.

100,000 loud, screaming fans positioned in seats inside Neyland Stadium on opening day would provide a tremendous motivational boost for a team on the rebound. Let's hope they open up the gates and let us back in.

Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
I don't think Mizzou had talent as good as UT has now when Heupel was there. They were first in sacks allowed both years and avg'd about 5 ypc. My hope is the scheme helps UT's OL's that much.

I am a Broncos fan from way back and recall the zone blocking they used when they made won their Super Bowls with Elway.

They never had the biggest or baddest OL but always played great as a unit with Alex Gibbs.

Hoping the Vols can start a similar trend.

Reactions: sjt18
What are your concerns on the OL? I think the guys who are gone largely underperformed. They never became the dominant group they were expected to be. Some units are greater than the sum of their talents... and some are not as good as the sum of their talents.

I LOVE Spraggins and have confidence in the Mays Bros. There are holes to fill but quality coaching and a scheme that in CJH's words puts OL's in a position to be successful can help a lot.

My concerns are all on D and primarily LB. It isn't just talent... I don't see "bodies" to play ILB. There are thin spots across the D but has anyone on the roster outside of Banks even seen playing time at ILB?

I could see them having to get REAL creative in the back 7 on D.

I think they need to get away from the 3-4 concepts due to problems you mentioned at ILB.

With the way teams are passing it makes sense for more 3-3-5 as well.

Might be able to mask some deficiencies in the front 7 that way too.

In one of the mic'ed up videos with Heupel coaching QBs, he very strongly emphasized "fast." I think he said more than once "make fast, aggressive mistakes." It is night and day different than the philosophy we saw on the field in the past few years. The OLine can benefit greatly from this type of play (unless they end up spending too much time chasing a DB who has the ball. :) )

whodeysin85,Hyatt's was laser timed.Watch the replay ofJalen running right by Bama defender this past year.

If I'm being honest, I'm sick of recruiting and "stars". One of the worst things ever to happen to college football. Kids have been brought up chasing a "star" rating. They are put up on pedestals and almost worshiped. Coaches always preached the need to un-recruit these kids once you get 'em to campus. This transfer BS now makes that impossible. Who the hell in their right mind would choose to be a college coach vs being in the NFL? You'd have to be nuts to want to deal with kids like this day in, day out year after year. This might be a big reason that guys like Campbell choose to stay where they are. There's no reason to chase a bigger job when you're constantly compared to the likes of Bama and OSU. It's a no win situation for programs like UT. We're never going to recruit at their level while Saban is there. We're never going to have the built in advantages that UGA and UF have...at least not in most of our lifetimes.

What I really want to see is a coaching staff assembled that can really identify kids who love to play this game. They're not chasing money under the table or "star rankings". Give me a staff who can identify quality football players who are playing for the right reason....they love the sport and the competition. I've lost my taste for these 5 star prima donnas who look like they're going through the motions as they wait to be draft eligible. Losses don't bother them in the least. They just don't care.

Might be a fantasy in today's game, but I want a roster that cares about it as much as we fans do. They care about and want to be a part of something bigger than themselves. I'm almost to the point of sending college football to the pile of sports I no longer support like all of the pro sports 'cept golf and MMA. Or I'll simply support and follow schools like the service academies. After 55 years of being a UT fan and alum, I've about reached my limit. I'm really pulling for Heupel to be the guy who can rescue the program. Just give us kids who give a **** and work hard for each other and the program. Show us that you really love to play this game and we'll have your backs. UT fans want to love their program and look forward to Saturdays again.
Had most of this same discussion today on the golf course. Btw keep a close eye on the PGA tour because they are wandering down the same PC trail. And I hate that because it’s one of the last “you are either good enough or your not” sports/games left. I feel your pain. Actually this applies to our society in general nowadays.

VN Store

Back