Other head coach options (merged)

You would want Tressel over:

Chip
Shaw
Patterson
Peterson
Gruden
Dantonio

I know he had a dominant record, and is a great coach, but he would be 65 and has not coached anywhere since 2010.

Chip Kelly - Yes, gimmick offense that put up numbers but never really paid off.
Shaw - admittedly, I don't know who this is, so.....
Patterson - you mean the coach at TCU?? Remind me when the last time they won their conference was.
Peterson - Uhhh, yes.
Gruden - I would take microwaved coleslaw over Jon Gruden.
Dantonio - Good luck getting him out of Lansing.

You said it yourself. Dominant record, and actually has a couple of national championships on his record.

Chip Kelly - Yes, gimmick offense that put up numbers but never really paid off.
Shaw - admittedly, I don't know who this is, so.....
Patterson - you mean the coach at TCU?? Remind me when the last time they won their conference was.
Peterson - Uhhh, yes.
Gruden - I would take microwaved coleslaw over Jon Gruden.
Dantonio - Good luck getting him out of Lansing.

You said it yourself. Dominant record, and actually has a couple of national championships on his record.

Shaw: HC at Stanford, 5 10+ seasons out of 6 (2 11, 2 12, 1 10).
Patterson 10, 10+ seasons out of 16 in his career. Finished in the top 7 5 of the past 9 years.

Just listing coaches that win 10-12 games per year most of the time over the past many years (at power 5 schools)........except for Gruden

I like Tressel but his age and time out of the game would concern me.

Tee Martin
Frank Wilson
Tyson Helton
DJ Durkin

I like Venables but I feel like he is going to KState as soon as Snyders gone. Satterfield is a possibility, he will likely find a bigger job this offseason. I like Brohm and Fleck but being at their new schools only a year could complicate.

Patterson, Shaw and Petersen aren't moving. Dantonio is too old. Kelly has been out of NCAA since 2012 and Gruden hasn't coached in nine years.

Last edited:
Unless we actually invest in coaching we aren't going to get results. Salaries aren't currently in top five in SEC or top fifteen in NCAA.

It's definitely a solid point. The biggest difference between us and those schools is the administrative support. Those people go out and get who they want. When Michigan was looking for a coach, people said, "We Want Harbaugh" and they got Harbaugh. Ohio State went from Jim Tressel who won a NC to Urban Meyer who won a NC. Alabama finally got tired of losing and ponied up the money to convince Saban.

After reading Saban's biography and realizing the things that went into his hiring at Alabama, and reasons why he left other jobs, I think I can safely say the following:

It does not matter how nice facilities you have, if you're not willing to continually commit to upgrade them. It does not matter the quality of academics you have, if you're not willing to commit to academic support. It doesn't matter how much you're willing to pay for a coach, if you're not willing to give him what he needs to succeed.

Saban demanded that academic centers and other buildings being built and resources established be part of his agreement to come to Alabama.

There are two types of coaching jumps in NCAA football:
1) The jumps of a mid-major coach going to a Power 5 program that can give him greater money and notoriety.
2) The jumps of a Power 5 coach that has been successful on his own merit and hard work, looking to jump to another Power 5 school that can give him additional resources to be even more successful.

We have always attracted candidate #1 there, a mid major guy who is wanting to make a name for himself in SEC football.

But if we want to go up to the level of Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, we are going to have to realize what a coach wants is not just money, but a place that will accommodate every single thing needed to win.

Tennessee needs to seriously ask its boosters what the point of all of this is. Because they are sitting on a fan base that is saying, "You hire a winner who does that here, and you can write any number you want on season tickets, and we will pay it." They're sitting on a fanbase that says, "Charge $60 for a Nike polo, and our closets will still be full of orange, if it means we can be proud to wear it."

They may have to spend millions. Millions on coaches. Millions on facilities. Millions on academic support.

But if they want to turn this into a profitable business, they have to realize that their "competition" is outspending and outperforming them, and when that happens, no matter how "loyal" your consumers are, they won't last forever.

The generation that saw the 90's is getting further and further removed, and our past championships happened while high schoolers today weren't even alive. We can't depend on our tradition to propel us forward. We must establish a winning tradition again for this generation.

I hope to goodness that the administration realizes that they need to fully support a hire that will change a culture not just in performance off the field, but how we're looked at on it. Now is the time to make that hire we've needed to make since 2008.

How this does not have 1k likes I am unsure. Spot on and fantastic post

Reactions: 1 person
Then he got his ass kicked. Now suddenly that Mich St. beat Mich, Dantonio is an option lol

OR it could be the fact he has had 3 11 win, 1 12 win, and 1 13 win seasons over the past 7 seasons......and finished 3,5,6,11,14 over 7 seasons.

Maybe that is it.

Not too many coaches out there who have done that much or more over the past 7 years......at a big program............pretty much the others who have were on the list people were talking about as well or are like Sweeney and Saban..........certainly not coming.

If you want to go by one game or one season have at it, but most of us will go by a much larger body of work.

Shaw: HC at Stanford, 5 10+ seasons out of 6 (2 11, 2 12, 1 10).
Patterson 10, 10+ seasons out of 16 in his career. Finished in the top 7 5 of the past 9 years.

Just listing coaches that win 10-12 games per year most of the time over the past many years (at power 5 schools)........except for Gruden

I like Tressel but his age and time out of the game would concern me.

Last line could be said about Gruden as well, he isn't a spring chicken, mid 50s, and hasn't coached college since 89, nowhere since 09.

Guys mentioned
Shaw-not leaving Stanford
Patterson-FIL is on TCU BOT, not leaving
Peterson-son had health issues, not leaving NW
Kelly-money talks, everyone runs his offense now, would come if money is right
Gruden-every fan base is laughing at Tn over this
D'Antonio-most underrated coach in CFB, would be a GRAND SLAM, he took Mich St to the playoffs, Mich STATE
Tressell-he is the President of Youngstown St, not giving that up to coach again

I personally think Brohm would be a solid choice. Not sexy like a Kelly or Gruden seems to be, but I believe he’d win football games...which is really what we want anyway

I personally think Brohm would be a solid choice. Not sexy like a Kelly or Gruden seems to be, but I believe he’d win football games...which is really what we want anyway

He’s a CBJ type hire though. Not what we need

*I think he’s a good coach

Or another way of looking at it -- mortgage half the State of Tennessee for potentially a few more wins. Have you ever signed a $100-150m contract? I would say when it comes to what is suppose to be amateur sports -- pretty ridiculous. imo

You're here again spewing your complete nonsense? Honestly, you are a terrible troll. It's embarrassing for you. I'm trying to help here. Take s break, study up on the art of trolling and comeback to try again.

Reactions: 2 people
You're here again spewing your complete nonsense? Honestly, you are a terrible troll. It's embarrassing for you. I'm trying to help here. Take s break, study up on the art of trolling and comeback to try again.

He is just mad they are STUCK with Ed Orgeron.

If Currie follows the line of thinking here and hires one of the offensive guru type coaches, we're all going to be disappointed. He needs to be finding the best DC for HC and a decent OC - stupid to think otherwise in the SEC.

Go look at the HC's of the past 25 national championship teams and see how that lines-up with your thought process

3-2 in his first year at a P5 school. May be great someday but a big risk at this point in his career. Has proven nothing

VN Store

Back