OT: can anyone identify what game this print is from?

Dale Jones & Volunteer defense SACK Vinnie Testaverde (one of several times). DC Ken Donahue had the perfect game plan for the arrogant Hurricanes, & the Big Orange dismantled them in the Superdome. We had an awesome time!
It was reported in the press that The Hurricanes were reportedly arrogant toward the Vols whenever they crossed paths the few days before the game. They did not believe the Vols were a worthy opponent and Miami had some hope of winning and receive consideration for a No 1 ranking. Ut routing and dominated Miami so bad that I believe UT was the best team in the country that day.

Ya bastards. You got me watching the 91 Sugar Bowl now. Down 7, Tony Thompson just fumbled.

Dangit 'TT' (lol, I hate the whole "refer to everyone by their initials" thingey) hold onto the danged ball!

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
I don't think it represents a real event. I think it is intended to represent a whole lot of Tennessee football history from the '60s through the '90s, including perhaps all the games mentioned already in this thread.

The opposing team uniform is clearly Bama. And this makes sense because, you know, Third Saturday in October--our #1 rival, particularly in that period.

But the player represented is both Hershel Walker (#34 and name on back of jersey) and some other fellow from some other team, #14. No idea who the latter would be, perhaps Testaverde. Someone the painter respected enough to include.

The Vols could be:
-- #45 -- Johnny Majors
-- #44 -- Bobby Majors
-- #54 -- Bob Johnson, or Dale Jones perhaps
-- #16 -- Peyton Manning

In short, the painter didn't sit down with a photo in front of him and recreate it. He closed his eyes, saw an event like a goal line stand, and filled in the jerseys with the #s of some players he really respected (both our guys and the opponents').

That's my guess.

I've got this print. That's #45 Carl Zander, #44 Alvin Toles, #54 Dale Jones and #16 Tommy Sims. The opponent is supposed to be Alabama in 1984.

I've got this print. That's #45 Carl Zander, #44 Alvin Toles, #54 Dale Jones and #16 Tommy Sims. The opponent is supposed to be Alabama in 1984.

I agree on the Tennessee folks, but not only is the color wrong for Bama helmets that year., there was no number 14 on their team that year. So either it is someone else or the artist just took a lot of creative license. Looks like they put a 6-letter last name ending in "ER" on the back of 14's jersey.

I don't think it represents a real event. I think it is intended to represent a whole lot of Tennessee football history from the '60s through the '90s, including perhaps all the games mentioned already in this thread.

The opposing team uniform is clearly Bama. And this makes sense because, you know, Third Saturday in October--our #1 rival, particularly in that period.

But the player represented is both Hershel Walker (#34 and name on back of jersey) and some other fellow from some other team, #14. No idea who the latter would be, perhaps Testaverde. Someone the painter respected enough to include.

The Vols could be:
-- #45 -- Johnny Majors
-- #44 -- Bobby Majors
-- #54 -- Bob Johnson, or Dale Jones perhaps
-- #16 -- Peyton Manning

In short, the painter didn't sit down with a photo in front of him and recreate it. He closed his eyes, saw an event like a goal line stand, and filled in the jerseys with the #s of some players he really respected (both our guys and the opponents').

That's my guess.

I've got this print. That's #45 Carl Zander, #44 Alvin Toles, #54 Dale Jones and #16 Tommy Sims. The opponent is Alabama in 1984. Ray Perkins brought back the white helmets for a few games in 1983 and 84, but I don't believe they wore them against the Vols. Artist liberties.

After a little digging, best guess is the Vols shown are Carl Zander (45), Dale Jones (54), Alvin Toles (44), and Tommy Sims (16). If that's the case, the only seasons where they were all on the roster were 83 and 84. Best I can tell looks like there was no number 16 in 1982 and no 45 or 44 in 1985. Seems like the early 80s from the picture.

All that leads me to believe it is from 1983 or 84 season, but trying to narrow down game.

Yes! That is Carl Zander on left, Alvin Toles in middle, a young Dale Jones on the right. Tommy Sims was always lying on the ground, so that is him in the back.

That was 1984 in Knoxville.

I'm thinking the artist was trying to depict the Vols vs Bama game. We came back from two touchdowns to win, because we are bad m'fers!

Bama did not wear their white helmets to K-town, but they had them that year. The helmets made them look like a bunch of fairies. Bama was the team with numbers on helmet.

I was sitting halfway up Section QQ. If you look closely, my face is in the background.

Bama had their names on their jerseys; we did not.

But, I think the artist took liberty with the visitor #'s, the second Bama player, that name, etc.

Maybe that BamaLoser guy will stop by and explain his side of the painting.

I agree on the Tennessee folks, but not only is the color wrong for Bama helmets that year., there was no number 14 on their team that year. So either it is someone else or the artist just took a lot of creative license. Looks like they put a 6-letter last name ending in "ER" on the back of 14's jersey.

Focker?

Reactions: tallahasseevol
Bammer?

Artist's liberties would be one thing, but this painter should be ashamed. Why would you change the helmet color, add a number that didn't exist in that game, and show a goal line stand that never happened in the game?

Bama definitely didn't wear white helmets against us, and as someone else mentioned there wasn't a 14 on that team.

Game is notable though, as UT came back from something like 27-13 to win on a 2-point conversion, 28-27. The good ole days!

OP: the print you have is from the 1991 Sugar Bowl. Tennessee vs Virginia. At the time Virginia had white helmets with their number on the side. Side note, Derek Dooley was a starting receiver on that team. Along with Herman Moore who ended up playing in the NFL for a long time. Tennessee was trailing 16-0 at halftime and came back to win 23-22. Very exciting game that is underrated in Vols history.
Jerseys are wrong and VA did not have names on their jerseys. One has to consider the possibility this is not an actual game representation but just a painting.

I found an old game video on youtube and the Vols wore all orange that year and Bama wore their red helmets and neither team had names on the back. I still believe that's the game trying to be depicted. I bought the print because Zander, Toles, Jones and Sims were there when I was going to school. Dale Jones was a freshman in 84 and Toles and Zander were seniors as was Reggie McKenzie who was the other linebacker that year. Tommy Sims was a junior.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Artist's liberties would be one thing, but this painter should be ashamed. Why would you change the helmet color, add a number that didn't exist in that game, and show a goal line stand that never happened in the game?

Bama definitely didn't wear white helmets against us, and as someone else mentioned there wasn't a 14 on that team.

Game is notable though, as UT came back from something like 27-13 to win on a 2-point conversion, 28-27. The good ole days!

1984 home games were Washington State, Utah, Army, Florida, Alabama, Memphis State and Kentucky.

I was a poor college student. It was probably a $5 print they sold in the bookstore.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back