OT: can anyone identify what game this print is from?

Dale Jones & Volunteer defense SACK Vinnie Testaverde (one of several times). DC Ken Donahue had the perfect game plan for the arrogant Hurricanes, & the Big Orange dismantled them in the Superdome. We had an awesome time!

Dale Jones & Volunteer defense SACK Vinnie Testaverde (one of several times). DC Ken Donahue had the perfect game plan for the arrogant Hurricanes, & the Big Orange dismantled them in the Superdome. We had an awesome time!
If thats the game they tried to show in this painting they did a pretty bad job. Miami wore the U on their helmets
Hess_Tennessee_tn8_large.jpg

Reactions: maxorange
Alabama wore white helmets to away games for the last time in 1984. They lost to UT 28-27, I believe, in Knoxville in 1984.

I'm guessing this is 84 vs Alabama.

Reactions: ksgovols
Penn St never had names on the back of the jersey though and the OPs pic looks like red not navy blue -- if the artist name was more visible it might be easier to find more info
Theres a lot wrong with this picture, number 14 on the helmet but the jersey on the back appears to be 34

Theres a lot wrong with this picture, number 14 on the helmet but the jersey on the back appears to be 34
I'm leaning towards that the artist messed a bunch of stuff around. It doesn't seem to fit anything.

In the ‘84 game Tennessee wore orange pants and jerseys. Alabama wore red helmets. Here’s a screenshot of the game. View attachment 234859
Yeah, weird. I got that info from this page:

Crimson Tide Uniforms Changing Through the Years - University of Alabama Athletics

Looks like something from the 80s with maybe Dale Jones and Darrin Miller in on the tackle but that helmet looks like an old Florida or Alabama helmet from way back.

If thats the game they tried to show in this painting they did a pretty bad job. Miami wore the U on their helmets
Hess_Tennessee_tn8_large.jpg

My 2nd most favorite game behind Ntl championship. I will never forget the shocked look on Jimmy Johnson’s face toward end of the game like....”can’t wait till this damn game is over”

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My 2nd most favorite game behind Ntl championship. I will never forget the shocked look on Jimmy Johnson’s face toward end of the game like....”can’t wait till this damn game is over”
The shock of the ABC announcers was even more striking. They still did not know what to say when the game was over. That was one of the best night in Tennessee football history.

The helmet looks like Auburn... I was there the day Rambo Jackson came into town. Dale Jones pounded Bo's knee with his helmet in the third quarter (which cracked Dale's helmet). Bo checked himself out of the game after that hit. Dale changed helmets and came back into the game. UT pounded the War Buzzards that day. Tie Dye was their coach. Whatta Day...

GO VOLS!!!!

OP: the print you have is from the 1991 Sugar Bowl. Tennessee vs Virginia. At the time Virginia had white helmets with their number on the side. Side note, Derek Dooley was a starting receiver on that team. Along with Herman Moore who ended up playing in the NFL for a long time. Tennessee was trailing 16-0 at halftime and came back to win 23-22. Very exciting game that is underrated in Vols history.

VN Store

Back