OT - 25 dead so far in historic flooding in eastern Kentucky

Extreme climate situations...more and more.
Get good insurance...

Good advice. But read the policies with extreme care, try to get anti-insured clauses removed. Insurance companies will duck responsibilities and obligations any way they can. Make sure your deductible, is bluntly stated, exactly what is covered (and what isn't) and that it's explicitly stated in your policy. Insist any vague language is cleared up. With weather related and other disasters happening with such frequency now, companies seek to minimize their costs, often at your expense. I got a taste of this rather recently when our home suffered a bit of wind damage. The rep who handled my claim no longer works at the business. She even tried to steer me to a non-contractor, but I didn't bite. If he didn't do a quality job, I could have been left holding the bag because I hired a non-contractor business, thus release the insurance company from paying. I'm just saying protect yourself. Nobody else will. Hopefully, the Kentucky folks face none of this and the powers that be, send them the relief they doubtlessly need. I haven't done it yet, but if you want to do more than just send prayers, look at the Kentucky state websites to see if and where you can send donations, whether items like food boxes, water, or money to help out. Prayers are nice, but physical and tangible assistance makes prayers more meaningful.

Last edited:
Reactions: malinoisvol
Thankfully it didn't get as bad where my family lives, but it's right above them. My mom has sent me some horrible videos and pictures, it's heartbreaking.

I hope the non-profits really do help these people. There’s been an ongoing story of a non-profit here in Knoxville lately that’s been paying the CEO and her daughter insane amounts of money, basically on par with bank CEO compensation.

Reactions: dduncan4163
I hope the non-profits really do help these people. There’s been an ongoing story of a non-profit here in Knoxville lately that’s been paying the CEO and her daughter insane amounts of money, basically on par with bank CEO compensation.
Name the NP and post a link - I don’t want to accidentally contribute to a questionable NP

It’s a terrible situation in Kentucky and is ongoing with more rain coming in. Whatever the reason it’s obvious that weather patterns and climate change are happening at an alarming rate. As we are in this heating cycle of +1.5 C these warm air masses in the SE (fueled by local and warm gulf air) simply hold more moisture than ever. Any middle school kid knows the warmer the air, the more moisture it can hold. These storms and incredible amount of rainfall events all at once are the result.
Tell your loved ones the basics of driving in these events - get off the road when necessary on higher ground if possible. Don’t drive through deep water. Have a device to break your car window out from the inside, realize the pressure of water when your car is sinking or in rising high waters- the doors won’t open until the pressure on the inside of the car and outside are equal - when the water is neck high typically in a car.
If you live in flood prone areas - keep an extra axe in the attic to go straight up to the roof if necessary.
It’s depressing to see how the climate has changed so much since the time I was growing up in the seventies and subsequent decades. This is not how it used to be. It’s feels like a miserable hot humid swamp outside now this time of year in KTown and nearly everywhere else in the southeast in approximate latitudes.

Reactions: EasternVol
It’s a terrible situation in Kentucky and is ongoing with more rain coming in. Whatever the reason it’s obvious that weather patterns and climate change are happening at an alarming rate. As we are in this heating cycle of +1.5 C these warm air masses in the SE (fueled by local and warm gulf air) simply hold more moisture than ever. Any middle school kid knows the warmer the air, the more moisture it can hold. These storms and incredible amount of rainfall events all at once are the result.
Tell your loved ones the basics of driving in these events - get off the road when necessary on higher ground if possible. Don’t drive through deep water. Have a device to break your car window out from the inside, realize the pressure of water when your car is sinking or in rising high waters- the doors won’t open until the pressure on the inside of the car and outside are equal - when the water is neck high typically in a car.
If you live in flood prone areas - keep an extra axe in the attic to go straight up to the roof if necessary.
It’s depressing to see how the climate has changed so much since the time I was growing up in the seventies and subsequent decades. This is not how it used to be. It’s feels like a miserable hot humid swamp outside now this time of year in KTown and nearly everywhere else in the southeast in approximate latitudes.

Uses Celsius, opinion invalidated.

FB_IMG_1659475836962.jpgthe bi newspaper in Lexington printed this. Kinda a lie blow to everyone who has lived through these floods, and pretty much their opinion on how people where I'm from are nothing but poor hillbillies. Idk, maybe I'm overreacting, but it hasn't sit well with anyone back home

Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia Army National Gurd rescued hundreds via helicopter. A decent amount of those with hoisting out victims as the only option.

TN National Guard assists in Kentucky flood rescues

Follow the last page. More flood pictures to come should they get re-activated this week. If not, there will be some neat photos from an exercise in Michigan the unit is participating in.

There been similar type floods in the south and likely other parts of the country for two centuries or longer.

View attachment 477273the bi newspaper in Lexington printed this. Kinda a lie blow to everyone who has lived through these floods, and pretty much their opinion on how people where I'm from are nothing but poor hillbillies. Idk, maybe I'm overreacting, but it hasn't sit well with anyone back home
I would take it as a reminder that poorer people suffer the most in natural disasters. I wouldn't take it as a dig at Eastern Kentuckians.

VN Store

Back