Oscar Tshiebwe in portal

I stated before the season that Springer and Keon will not leave because both need another year of seasoning with Barnes. Only one to leave will be Pons. Before yall jump down my throat that is JHHO!!! nothing more or nothing less!

I hope that's the case honestly, ya put those two in year 2 with a legit PG coming in...

Course then the worry is are there enough minutes to keep Santi, Bailey, James, Keon, Springer, Chandler etc. all happy...

Reactions: sccshortstop
I’d think Gaines may take a look. Anosike could, potentially, if we landed a guy like Tshiebwe and Fulk returns, but I think he is probably where he wants to be. Same with Pember. Uros, perhaps, takes a look.

This would qualify as a bit of a surprise, but depending on what happens with the guard rotation the rest of this season, Vescovi could explore his options. Let’s say Keon and Springer both return, next year, and you have Chandler coming in. Things suddenly get crowded and Vescovi would be an attractive piece on the open market for a team with a more wide-open rotation at guard, be it PG or SG.
I’ve wondered the same about Vescovi. Not sure how he’d take going from basically a two year starter to the bench. And he’s good enough to start plenty of places. It also seems like Pember is here for the long haul. In Knoxville, on scholarship, part of a winning program. Seems like he’s enjoying the ride. I would think Uros is the most obvious choice except that he’s already transferred so much. I like watching Gaines play and I think he could contribute as a senior but not sure if that’s where he wants to be

I hope that's the case honestly, ya put those two in year 2 with a legit PG coming in...

Course then the worry is are there enough minutes to keep Santi, Bailey, James, Keon, Springer, Chandler etc. all happy...

I’d limit minutes for Vescovi and Bailey if all 3 (JJJ, KJ, JS) return with the two signees added.

With the way Coach Barnes develops bigs and gets them to the NBA, I think Tennessee has a very good chance of getting him.

I don't think you'd have to limit Bailey too much. JJJ can play a point forward role. Bailey, KJ, JS, 1-3 with Kennedy as the main 1. Santi would be the one getting hit imo.

The U is my prediction.

Wants immediate playing time and loves their guards. Only really went to WVU due to his high school pipeline and connections to Huggy Bear. But Oscar basically hates him and now that his minutes have de reased...

Last edited:
The U is my prediction.

Wants immediate playing time and loves their guards. Only really went to WVU due to his high school pipeline and connections to Huggy Bear. But Oscar basically hates him and now that his minutes have de reased...
He’s a good player for Barnes to coach up. Undersized forward like Fulky and Grant but seems more athletic. Just not sure if he could fit into the unselfish system Barnes runs here. Huggins is a well respected coach so this was weird to me.

Reactions: Volfan1000
He’s a good player for Barnes to coach up. Undersized forward like Fulky and Grant but seems more athletic. Just not sure if he could fit into the unselfish system Barnes runs here. Huggins is a well respected coach so this was weird to me.
Huggins is an a$$ and always has been. Great coach. Awful personality. Oscar isn't a fan. But the wink wink agreement that gets those African kids to Kennedy Catholic generally includes a stop at WVU (see Konate).

Oscar played like 9 minutes the other night and immediately decided it's time to move on

Last edited:
Reactions: sccshortstop
I’m starting to think that Keon and Springer might both return. Of course it’s early and if they keep improving like they have recently then all bets are off. IMO Pons will leave though.

Doubt Bailey will leave. He has 2 years left. He’s not nearly as talented as KJ and JS. JJJ could certainly end up leaving if he reaches his potential this year.
These guys are talented but they’d have to really elevate to be first round picks.

These guys are talented but they’d have to really elevate to be first round picks.
Ten years ago, u would be right, but today, it's all about the measurables, athleticism and potential. If Springer and Keon declare, they both go in the 1st round, imo and I'm right, check the mock drafts

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Ten years ago, u would be right, but today, it's all about the measurables, athleticism and potential. If Springer and Keon declare, they both go in the 1st round, imo and I'm right, check the mock drafts
True. Then Barnes better get busy. If those guys are really going in those spots, then they should be starting.

True. Then Barnes better get busy. If those guys are really going in those spots, then they should be starting.
How does “They’ll be drafted high due to their measurables, athleticism, and potential, not their current college production” translate to “They better be starting right now then!”

How does “They’ll be drafted high due to their measurables, athleticism, and potential, not their current college production” translate to “They better be starting right now then!”
So, Barnes shouldnt be expected to exploit that potential?

And I’m It saying he won’t. I’ll just bet that if these guys stay around the same production that those draft boards will adjust.

And I’m It saying he won’t. I’ll just bet that if these guys stay around the same production that those draft boards will adjust.

They’re not being drafted based on their potential at age 18/19. They’re being drafted based on what they might become at 22+

I think they should start when they’re able to produce like starters, not just start because they happen to be the most athletically gifted. And he can draw out their potential without them starting

And I’m not even saying they shouldn’t start, just pointing out the odd logic in following up someone saying they’re getting drafted moreso for intangibles than college production by insisting they must start on their college team

And they have adjusted a bit already, so that may be true. A lot of mocks had Keon in the middle of the lottery and Jaden towards the end of the first before the season. Now according to @The Dog , they’ve kind of switched positions, which makes sense given their respective production so far. So a reasonable person could say they could slide further but I agree with the idea that they won’t be drafted mainly for production and also think their play is going to improve as the year goes on, especially Keon. But if I’m wrong I won’t complain if they run in back another year at UT

Reactions: The Dog
I think they should start when they’re able to produce like starters, not just start because they happen to be the most athletically gifted. And he can draw out their potential without them starting

And I’m not even saying they shouldn’t start, just pointing out the odd logic in following up someone saying they’re getting drafted moreso for intangibles than college production by insisting they must start on their college team

And they have adjusted a bit already, so that may be true. A lot of mocks had Keon in the middle of the lottery and Jaden towards the end of the first before the season. Now according to @The Dog , they’ve kind of switched positions, which makes sense given their respective production so far. So a reasonable person could say they could slide further but I agree with the idea that they won’t be drafted mainly for production and also think their play is going to improve as the year goes on, especially Keon. But if I’m wrong I won’t complain if they run in back another year at UT
actually, Keon and Springer did start although not in the same game. With Bailey struggling I think you’ll see them alternate starting and getting close to starters minutes.

FWIW I know Keon has struggled on offense but I think he’s shown enough on that end of the court to not scare teams off from drafting him high for his incredible defense

actually, Keon and Springer did start although not in the same game. With Bailey struggling I think you’ll see them alternate starting and getting close to starters minutes.
Yeah I’m aware, I think they should both start consistently actually. I just don’t think they should both start because they have the most NBA potential on the team

The simple fact is whether or not they start, they will play starter minutes, cream rises to the top. Barnes knows what he has, he is not going to waste them, I promise u. Yes, @Roustabout, they will rise and drop by production, but everybody sees the skills, athleticism, strength, ability to almost always get their shot and especially, in today's NBA, potential at a young age

Imo, the worst case scenario is that Pons, Springer, Keon and JJJ, all get drafted, next year. Well, worst case scenario for the '21-'22 Vols, probably a good thing for UT, overall. JJJ, probably comes back and I hope one of the freshmen do, also. Still, I expect UT to lose at least 2 kids to the NBA, probably 3

Reactions: Jack Burton
Imo, the worst case scenario is that Pons, Springer, Keon and JJJ, all get drafted, next year. Well, worst case scenario for the '21-'22 Vols, probably a good thing for UT, overall. JJJ, probably comes back and I hope one of the freshmen do, also. Still, I expect UT to lose at least 2 kids to the NBA, probably 3

That’s just crazy to think about. Yes, the follow up team would suffer but the program would change positively even more than it has already. Amazing.

VN Store

Back