Oscar Nominations

I agree that was wrong... but it wouldn't even make my top 5 most ridiculous best picture winners just since 1990. How about:

1) Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas in 1991.
2) Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction in 1995.
3) The Shape of Water over Dunkirk in 2018
4) Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan in 1999
5) American Beauty over The Sixth Sense in 2000

How about Forrest Gump over The Shawshank Redemption? To be fair, all three movies are exceptional; hard to pick a winner there.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
How about Forrest Gump over The Shawshank Redemption? To be fair, all three movies are exceptional; hard to pick a winner there.
1994 was an exceptional year... and Forrest Gump had no business winning the award. It was good, had some funny moments but the running part was dumb and it was a little sappy as well. Any of the other 4 movies nominated that year (Pulp Fiction, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Quiz Show and The Shawshank Redemption) would have been a better choice for Best Picture.

I'd go Shawshank > Pulp Fiction >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forrest Gump.

Pulp Fiction introduced non-linear storytelling and dozens of copycats, basically created a whole new genre. Makes it not only the best picture that year but on of the top 10 greatest ever.

Pulp Fiction introduced non-linear storytelling and dozens of copycats, basically created a whole new genre. Makes it not only the best picture that year but on of the top 10 greatest ever.

Surely there were non-linear movies before Pulp Fiction. Wasn't Citizen Kane done the same way?

Reactions: Vol49er
Introduced non-linear storytelling? That’s not correct

Pretty sure Shawshank is considered one of the best movies ever as well. And IMO a better picture than Pulp Fiction.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
to pop culture, yes.
I suppose. Paul Schrader often talks about how the best writers know how to steal effectively from others and Pulp Fiction definitely utilizes non linear story-telling really well

I take it I’m the only one on VN that didn’t care for Pulp Fiction. It was meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behr
I agree that was wrong... but it wouldn't even make my top 5 most ridiculous best picture winners just since 1990. How about:

1) Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas in 1991.
2) Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction in 1995.
3) The Shape of Water over Dunkirk in 2018
4) Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan in 1999
5) American Beauty over The Sixth Sense in 2000
Are you serious?

While I liked The Shape of Water...Dunkirk blows it out of the water. Shape of Water was just a Hellboy prequel for the most part.

BP got nominated because it literally is the greatest fantasy movie of all time, so much so that people actually believed it could exist.

Are you serious?

While I liked The Shape of Water...Dunkirk blows it out of the water. Shape of Water was just a Hellboy prequel for the most part.
This poster agrees with you that Dunkirk was better, he’s listing Times he thinks the Academy has got it wrong

VN Store

Back