Option

UTVOLFAN

Wouldn't it be nice to have an OC capable of running some option and bootleg plays to put Schaeffer's talent to good use

We really need to expand on the fact that we have two capable quarterbacks. I think they could actually continue using both of them throughout their college careers -- UT could have the most versatile offense in the whole country. One playbook for Ainge and one for Schaeffer.

At times, earlier in the season, I thought I saw some plays called that were specifically designed to use Brent's athletic abilities. I don't like the option so much... your QB gets hit more.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an OC capable of running some option and bootleg plays to put Schaeffer's talent to good use

Did you see the SC game? While we didn't run the option, we did utilize Brent well and he won the game for us. IMO that is the one game that highlights Brents ability. I too would like to see BS and EA end their college careers as Co#1 QBs at UT and be the first Co-winners of the Heisman.

P.S. The OC comment....you need to remember that BS and EA are both freshmen. They MUST learn to do some basic things in our core offense first before we start putting in a specialized package for them. Give the kids some time. CRS has shown this year that we will not survive on dive left and dive right anymore. Our offensive stats back that up.

Attachments

• DSC_8975_lg.jpg
    DSC_8975_lg.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 0
While I'd like to see them both used, it's rare to find an effective 2 QB system. UGA never did get it right with Greene and Shockley. Sure it worked some times but ultimately, UGA's chance were better when Pollack's "special life partner" was in the game.

Agree with Bhamvol too on walking before you run (and pitch). These guys weren't there for Spring practice - no time to work in a complicated new wrinkle. Finally, the first big hit broke bone. These are 18 year olds - maybe a year or two of college level conditioning will allow BS to be durable enough to run the option.

I thought he really showed some nice things in the UNLV game, but we soon found out that UNLV wasn't nearly as good as advertised, whether it be giving up on Coach Robinson or whatnot... yes Brent's best game was USC, maybe I'd be talking about the ND game or the Vandy or UK games as his best if he hadn't gotten knocked out... the point is, these kids are still growing and we'll see where they stand next year. I'd be excited to see him come in for a series Saturday, and play well... but the likelihood of that is slim pickins.

Here`s guessing that we see some action from B.S. for the Auburn game. Claussen`s arm is too weak and we will need the option. :dunno:

Attachments

• a_burnett_1293_mini.jpg
    a_burnett_1293_mini.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
You're kidding right? There's no way they put in a kid just comming off a broken collar bone to run the OPTION.

If he gets in at all, it will be as a very elusive pocket passer...similar to the USC game, except with emphasis on not taking a shot.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Dec 2, 2004 11:16 AM
You're kidding right? There's no way they put in a kid just comming off a broken collar bone to run the OPTION.

:clap: :clap: Nice to see a little logic creep in here.

The option is OK every once in awhile, but it is best left to high school teams and Playstation. College QBs that run the option are like dogs that chase cars - exciting at first, but dead in the end.

Right you are. In fact, the whole essense of the option requires that the QB hold the ball until the last possible second before pitching to the back. And, we all know what happens about 10 milliseconds later. . .

(Insert original Batman "Ka-Pow" image here)

Probably not the wisest call with a recently (?partially) healed clavicle.

Originally posted by GAVol+Dec 2, 2004 2:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GAVol @ Dec 2, 2004 2:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rwemyss@Dec 2, 2004 11:16 AM
You&#39;re kidding right?  There&#39;s no way they put in a kid just comming off a broken collar bone to run the OPTION.

:clap: :clap: Nice to see a little logic creep in here.

The option is OK every once in awhile, but it is best left to high school teams and Playstation. College QBs that run the option are like dogs that chase cars - exciting at first, but dead in the end. [/quote]
Just couldn&#39;t believe my eyes...

I&#39;ve seen the option run well in a non-option offense (Louisville anyone?) but those guys are a lot bigger than BS, and not comming straight off an injury.

Let me clarify. I had not had a great opinion of B.S. until he woke our team up in the USC game. I do not think we should design option plays for him at all. I think he should be limited in what he does, but he does and could bring a spark to the offense IF NEEDED.

Originally posted by AllVol98@Dec 2, 2004 2:39 PM
I think he should be limited in what he does, but he does and could bring a spark to the offense IF NEEDED.

Oh, I&#39;ve got this strange feeling that we&#39;ll need it. I bet our offensive coaching staff already knows that, though. . . . ;)

Sounds good to me. Just pulling out the word option, while talking about a kid comming off injury freaked me out.

Tennessee did not run option plays well with Tee Martin at quarterback.... his rushing yards came off of qb draws and scrambles.... and usually got no gain on option plays.

What makes anybody think that Tennessee would do any better with Shaeffer?

VN Store

Back