Opposing HC on Heupel offense

I do feel the offense will be better (more complete) this season, but the SEC defensive coordinators will also have a year to study and combat it. I am unsure if the Vols will finish top 10 in offense again, I hope they do.
But, part of their problem is not having time to substitute for mis-matches.

If you have a Rolls-Royce with a 2.0 L 4 cyl. engine under the hood, you have a showy car, but no performance.
For now, we have a big motor in our machine. Just hope this can hold up going forward a few seasons.

Why be anonymous, that’s just dumb… dont know if I believe the story if a name can’t be mentioned. Bunch of hoopla to me.
Athlon has done this with their Annual College Football publication for as long as I remember . It’s a thing they do.

Edit: I guess it’s the Athletic, but it’s pretty common this Time of year for these types of articles to come out.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
“And they’re not just out there playing fast, they’re setting things up, they’re finding the matchups they want. Those (coaches) do a really good job. There’s no way it’s easy to get your kids to execute at that pace like that.”

Reactions: TennMan101
Not worried about the offense. They will be fine. It may take another year or 2 to get good players and more depth for the defense. When that happens--watch out.

Reactions: dovervolz
A to Z is prone to write rosy pieces but the main point is still correct. The O runs fast and that creates issues with fatigue but that's not all they're doing.... or even the primary thing. The pace more than tiring D's out forces them to operate faster which forces mistakes. They are getting guys out of position/alignment with formations and pace and playcalling. They are setting D's up. They are creating favorable match ups.

The "gimmick" is that Heupel is a pretty sharp offensive mind.

Faking injuries on the defensive side of the ball will always be this offense's Achilles heel. Sometimes we did it ourselves. Geez, how many times did Lampley and Davis go down after a PAT? The substitution rule that is currently in place should also apply to injury timeouts. No substitutes on the defense unless the offense substitutes first, IMO.

Maybe add timeouts? Look at the average number of injury TO's in a game during a season and add that number, maybe it's 2 per half. So instead of 3 TO's each team has 5 each half and they have to be used for clock management, strategy, or injuries. Kind of like PTO.

VN Store

Back