Opposing coaches discuss Tennessee and Josh Heupel ahead of 2022 season

I always take these types of articles with a grain of salt—especially when it doesn’t say WHO the coaches were, and you have no idea what their angle/motive is. Plus, it’s likely not a head coach. Assistant special teams coach somewhere. Fun to read, not much to take away.

Dan, stop with these articles. If you're not gonna put a name to it, then nobody cares.

Especially such crap quotes. Nobody gives any credence to the fact that we did what we did last year after losing more than anyone to the portal, and were incredibly thin in many positions.

This article does not make Tennessee look anything like it really is, and you can do better. What a crap piece.

Dan, stop with these articles. If you're not gonna put a name to it, then nobody cares.

Especially such crap quotes. Nobody gives any credence to the fact that we did what we did last year after losing more than anyone to the portal, and were incredibly thin in many positions.

This article does not make Tennessee look anything like it really is, and you can do better. What a crap piece.

Right, especially because these quotes are like a month old, I've seen like multiple articles from weeks ago with these same quotes, these been posted on here a handful of times as well.

Opposing coaches discuss Tennessee and Josh Heupel ahead of the 2022 season.

I would agree with most of what was said.

Where they might be wrong is defenses adapting..because it will mostly be CJH matching wits with the players on the field. The pace allows for very little defensive adjustment on the fly. Maybe the opposition can get enough players coached up to do so by themselves and if that happens...we will struggle to score on those teams.

If he can improve the defense overall and the offensive line..we can still have success. But that will take closing the talent gap. Drastically

I'm not an opposing coach. In fact, I'm a shameless Vols fan, and here's my unorthodox take. We're going to have a Miracle at South Bend-like experience in 2022. It will be dubbed, The Miracle in Neyland. We will blow a 36 - 16 lead on Florida late in the 4th quarter. Then we let them storm back with 16 more points, a game where FGs prove as essential as TDs. We end up winning the game on a safety. Incredibly because of four inexplicably numb skull penalties by the Gators. Which pushes them back from our 15 yard line to their 15, where we chase the QB into the endzone and bring him down before he can heave a desperation pass.

Thereafter, we win other games in dramatic fashion, and become known as the Houdini Hijinkers, by some and the Exasperating Escapists by others. It's just going to be that kind of season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fanforlife21
Different tone... doesn't necessarily mean what you think. If I remember correctly, opposing coach comments on Pruitt were generally positive. Maybe that's because they believed it. Maybe that's because he was "comfortably" orthodox to them. Or... maybe he just didn't worry them. Maybe they considered him predictable.

The comments about the O having a cap of six wins and being simple made me chuckle a little. Bama and UGA overwhelmed UT with talent. Their defensive guys were just better and deeper than UT's guys. UT still had over 350 yds of O against both.... about 50 ypg more than Bama allowed on average and 100 yds more than UGA allowed.

Simple is only a problem if the D can defend it. Last year, they couldn't. UT had more O vs UGA than anyone except Bama. UGA had 8 weeks of tape on UT's O, great coaches, and the most talented D in the country by a wide margin. UT still got yds and points.

So... I think there could be some fear talking in those comments. Some wishful thinking.

Thanks for sharing. I avoid clickbait, especially this time of year when so-called sports journalist reach for relevancy by concocting drivel.

Thanks for sharing. I avoid clickbait, especially this time of year when so-called sports journalist reach for relevancy by concocting drivel.

IMO this was less "click-baity" than the AtoZ thing...these articles always come out post spring meetings and sometiems are interesting.

This one didnt deliver any bulletin board materail or big surprises. I hope that sjt18's comments are accurate ...that the other coaches are concerned.

“They’re pretty easy to break down because because that offense is pretty easy to break down”

Words of a true savant right there.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Different tone... doesn't necessarily mean what you think. If I remember correctly, opposing coach comments on Pruitt were generally positive. Maybe that's because they believed it. Maybe that's because he was "comfortably" orthodox to them. Or... maybe he just didn't worry them. Maybe they considered him predictable.

The comments about the O having a cap of six wins and being simple made me chuckle a little. Bama and UGA overwhelmed UT with talent. Their defensive guys were just better and deeper than UT's guys. UT still had over 350 yds of O against both.... about 50 ypg more than Bama allowed on average and 100 yds more than UGA allowed.

Simple is only a problem if the D can defend it. Last year, they couldn't. UT had more O vs UGA than anyone except Bama. UGA had 8 weeks of tape on UT's O, great coaches, and the most talented D in the country by a wide margin. UT still got yds and points.

So... I think there could be some fear talking in those comments. Some wishful thinking.
Add to that, even Kirby Smart said something to the effect
"That wasn't the same Tennessee football team as last year"

UT stopped themselves as much the opposing defense did...

You know they actually do not speak with other coaches...its just a ploy to sell magazines
its-still.gif

Opposing coaches discuss Tennessee and Josh Heupel ahead of the 2022 season.

Don’t care what opposing coaches think… why on earth would anyone in their right mind care what Saban, Smart, Kiffin, or Stoops thinks? (Quotes didn’t sound like 1st or 2nd year coaches, thus I left other SEC Opponent coaches out) They’re simply trying to sling as much mud as possible in hopes of swaying some recruits…

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Don’t care what opposing coaches think… why on earth would anyone in their right mind care what Saban, Smart, Kiffin, or Stoops thinks? (Quotes didn’t sound like 1st or 2nd year coaches, thus I left other SEC Opponent coaches out) They’re simply trying to sling as much mud as possible in hopes of swaying some recruits…

More than likely it was assistant coaches…

Reactions: DrTNT
I'm not an opposing coach. In fact, I'm a shameless Vols fan, and here's my unorthodox take. We're going to have a Miracle at South Bend-like experience in 2022. It will be dubbed, The Miracle in Neyland. We will blow a 36 - 16 lead on Florida late in the 4th quarter. Then we let them storm back with 16 more points, a game where FGs prove as essential as TDs. We end up winning the game on a safety. Incredibly because of four inexplicably numb skull penalties by the Gators. Which pushes them back from our 15 yard line to their 15, where we chase the QB into the endzone and bring him down before he can heave a desperation pass.

Thereafter, we win other games in dramatic fashion, and become known as the Houdini Hijinkers, by some and the Exasperating Escapists by others. It's just going to be that kind of season.

4 15-yard penalties wouldn’t move the ball from one 15 to the other. It would be on the 25.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back