On UT’s Luck

I'm getting the feeling it's getting ready to be fun on the hill again! I know alot of LSU/Bama fans who all say they're ready for us to be relevant again...they realize the SEC is better when Vols are in the mix. Also, with all the positive momentum this week...Trey, Cade, WR transfers, I would be a bit surprised to see all this have a VERY positive affect on our final signings for this class...maybe some shockers coming out of the blue?
Just like throwing dice......bet 'em when they're hot. Nothing would surprise me after this week and we have a spot or two open.

Next year is the most nervous I've been about a football season since 1999. Everything is falling in our favor.

CJP did not get off on the right foot with me. Some of it was not his fault (the embarrassing coaching search). Some of it was his fault (criticizing the fan attendance at his first spring game). Next year is where the rubber meets the road. Every "big boy" on our schedule is more vulnerable than usual, which IS lucky. We get Alabama and Florida at home, and it is the perfect season for that to transpire.

I think a lot of fans/posters are too tempered with their expectations. I've seen many a post where people think eight wins is a suitable regular season. I completely disagree with that.

There is no such thing as "luck". Luck is the idea that there are causeless effects that just "happen" to certain people.

There is the providence of God and then there is our choices and actions. Those are the things that determine our outcomes.

UT's "luck" goes back to the choice of Sanders to replace Cut then Fulmer's subsequent failure to hold his assistants accountable and especially Sanders. The inaction or incompetence of the UT AD failed to react correctly to Fulmer's decline in time to turn him around and save him. Ultimately, he was rightly fired due to the direction in the program and total lack of discipline. The choices made after were bad... to really, really bad.

IMHO, Fulmer was always better suited for a political position like AD than HC. Either wisely or blindly, he hired a guy who runs a pretty tight ship. I do not know if Pruitt will succeed but this looks like the right chemistry.
2517_ret.jpg

Victory awaits him who has everything in order — luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck.

I have a strong feeling that Jeremy Pruitt would 100 percent agree with those words of Roald Amundsen, the first man to ever reach the South Pole.

You work your tail off and do things the right way, and good "luck" follows.

I think there is such a thing as luck. If a punter punts the ball inside the 20 consistently, it's skill, If that same punter gets it inside the 10, it's usually hard work. If that same punt falls dead at the 1 inch line, that's what I call luck. Bad luck would be where is rolls slightly into the end zone, depending if you are the receiving team or defending team. :D
Eliminating dumb polls on this site would be extraordinary good luck.

Yeah, Pruitt's got that no nonsense approach and knows his stuff. That's why I think it will be interesting in SECW in next few years. Though Kiffin/Pirate getting all the media attention, Pittman has put together a really good staff under the radar, will have similar mentality on developing trenches, and I think in 3 years, ARK will be in better position than MISS schools. CRAZY division though with all the names...Jimbo gonna have to start winning some games or hot seat coming.
Yeah, the SEC is going to be fun the next few years where anything can, & probably will happen. I doubt it will be boring games.

There is no such thing as "luck". Luck is the idea that there are causeless effects that just "happen" to certain people.

There is the providence of God and then there is our choices and actions. Those are the things that determine our outcomes.

UT's "luck" goes back to the choice of Sanders to replace Cut then Fulmer's subsequent failure to hold his assistants accountable and especially Sanders. The inaction or incompetence of the UT AD failed to react correctly to Fulmer's decline in time to turn him around and save him. Ultimately, he was rightly fired due to the direction in the program and total lack of discipline. The choices made after were bad... to really, really bad.

IMHO, Fulmer was always better suited for a political position like AD than HC. Either wisely or blindly, he hired a guy who runs a pretty tight ship. I do not know if Pruitt will succeed but this looks like the right chemistry.

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." -- Ecclesiastes 9:11 KJV

Disagree about Sanders and Fulmer diatribe BUT there is a clear difference in what is happening under Pruitt than under the "professional" regimes of Dooley and Jones. I went mental after the loss to Georgia State and BYU. In hindsight, it looks now like the final surgery to remove the rot of the previous 10 years and achieve buy-in to the new dynamic. Pruitt is building a TEAM. I think Fulmer knows that requires building family dynamics within a squad of 85 and it needs someone at the helm who is one part Bill Walsh, one part Martin Luther King Jr and one part Jordan Peterson. He seems to be doing this intuitively. What Fulmer also understood is that a coach has to SEE what a championship squad looks like day-in and day-out and Pruitt has that first-hand. That's why the Pirate will be successful in Starkville but will not win Championships IMHO. I've seen building blocks of the championship football in our play especially given that we won while overcoming sub-standard QB play.

The real downfall of Fulmer was the Cardinal Richelieu of Tennessee Football - Mike "Hambone" Hamilton - and the fact that, despite all their experience and future success, Fulmer and Dave Clawson couldn't turn on the lights for Crompton. Despite the narrative bandied around this forum, neither could Kiffin. Crompton was every bit as bad the first half of his senior season until the lights suddenly switched on in the last two minutes of the Auburn game. There is actually a LOT of similarities between Crompton and JG. I'm really keen to see what year 2 with Chaney does for JG.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Kinda like did you witness divine intervention or a freak occurrence

We have potentially the best OL in the SEC. Next years line is only getting one "new" player from a group that was nowhere near the "best" in the SEC in 2019. Don't get me wrong, I think the line will be much improved with another year of experience, weight training and nutrition but I just think we all need to pump the brakes a bit.
No. You go ahead and pump tho.

The Vols are finally becoming more competitive up and down the lineup, with all SEC type players being sprinkled in on offense and defense, but we're still a couple of years away from winning championships IMHO

We have potentially the best OL in the SEC. Next years line is only getting one "new" player from a group that was nowhere near the "best" in the SEC in 2019. Don't get me wrong, I think the line will be much improved with another year of experience, weight training and nutrition but I just think we all need to pump the brakes a bit.

Pump all you like, but the master cylinder is out, so pumping won't stop the Big orange train

Year 1: 5-7
Year 2: 8-5
Year 3:

When Pruitt leads us to another SEC Championship, some filmmakers have to be chomping at the bit to make a documentary of UT football from 2008 on. You really can’t write this stuff.

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." -- Ecclesiastes 9:11 KJV
At the risk of turning this into a theological discussion: Keil & Delizsch ... and pega', “accident,” particularly as an adversity, disappointment of the word is used also without any addition (1Ki_5:18) of misfortune (cf. שיר פגעים, Psa_3:1-8; 91). The masc. יִקְ is regulated after וף; 'eth can, however, be used in the masc., Son_2:12; Böttch. §648, viz., “with the misapprehension of its origin” (v. Orelli).

This limitation of man in his efforts, in spite of all his capacity, has its reason in this, that he is on the whole not master of his own life:

Disagree about Sanders and Fulmer diatribe
Diatribe? Hardly. There was a clear difference in offensive production, team discipline on and off the field, and wins without Cutcliffe.... and with Sanders. Fulmer lost control of his team and was too close to see objectively. It happens. Hamilton failed to step in and force change.

I went mental after the loss to Georgia State and BYU. In hindsight, it looks now like the final surgery to remove the rot of the previous 10 years and achieve buy-in to the new dynamic.
Honestly, I didn't. Two games even as bad as those do not amount to a whole body of work. I have been very positive about Pruitt's ability to coach the game from the start. I'm still not sure he has all the skills needed to be a great HC... nothing necessarily wrong yet but I want to see more. I still don't like those losses or some "bad" wins like IU. But again, right direction at this time.

Pruitt is building a TEAM. I think Fulmer knows that requires building family dynamics within a squad of 85 and it needs someone at the helm who is one part Bill Walsh, one part Martin Luther King Jr and one part Jordan Peterson.
Impressed you know who Jordan Peterson is.

He seems to be doing this intuitively.
Agree. It think this is Fulmer's best role. Some guys are better in a less direct role.

The real downfall of Fulmer was the Cardinal Richelieu of Tennessee Football - Mike "Hambone" Hamilton - and the fact that, despite all their experience and future success, Fulmer and Dave Clawson couldn't turn on the lights for Crompton. Despite the narrative bandied around this forum, neither could Kiffin. Crompton was every bit as bad the first half of his senior season until the lights suddenly switched on in the last two minutes of the Auburn game. There is actually a LOT of similarities between Crompton and JG. I'm really keen to see what year 2 with Chaney does for JG.
Crompton had a very good senior year. He pretty much turned around on a dime. He played pretty bad vs UF and UCLA early on but otherwise he was solid.... and he was as broken as any QB has ever been.

Fulmer was already on thin ice by the time he hired Clawson. Clawson mistakenly thought he would have time and control to install his system. Things went bad. Fulmer started micromanaging. The whole thing blew up.

I see very few similarities between Crompton and JG accept significant failure versus high expectations. Crompton wasn't nearly as risk averse. JG IMO has better raw physical ability. Crompton could anticipate throws and wasn't late all the time. Both were pretty tough. I think JG was a good bit more accurate the last two games not withstanding.

I think there is such a thing as luck. If a punter punts the ball inside the 20 consistently, it's skill, If that same punter gets it inside the 10, it's usually hard work. If that same punt falls dead at the 1 inch line, that's what I call luck. Bad luck would be where is rolls slightly into the end zone, depending if you are the receiving team or defending team. :D
Unless you're Dustin colquitt.maybe he was just the luckiest person in the world during his time at UT.

The OL talent is exciting, without a doubt. But, depth? That’s the primary area that concerns me - I think this staff has proven it can motivate, coach, scheme, and play call.

If injuries hit, however, do we have the talent to step up and not experience a massive drop-off?

VN Store

Back