On UT’s Luck

zidanefan

Senior Junior Member
The quote below comes from this article. Much has been said over the years about UT’s bad luck, things not “going our way,” etc. But, you make your own luck in situations like this. Pruitt may not be the next coming of Saban, Meyer, or Fulmer for that matter. But, he has worked his rear end off, and the state of things is the fruit of his, and his staff’s, labor.

He is an actual X’s and O’s coach. That makes all kinds of “luck” possible.

We could be in for a very fun 2020! That is all.

So in the matter of about 25 months, Jeremy Pruitt has taken the offensive line from the weakest part of the roster to the strongest. Not bad.

We have potentially the best OL in the SEC. Next years line is only getting one "new" player from a group that was nowhere near the "best" in the SEC in 2019. Don't get me wrong, I think the line will be much improved with another year of experience, weight training and nutrition but I just think we all need to pump the brakes a bit.

We have potentially the best OL in the SEC. Next years line is only getting one "new" player from a group that was nowhere near the "best" in the SEC in 2019. Don't get me wrong, I think the line will be much improved with another year of experience, weight training and nutrition but I just think we all need to pump the brakes a bit.

I agree. We have great potential, but many times over the last 15 years our line been underachieved. We will never compete with the big boys until we can consistently run the ball and keep our quarterback from getting hammered. Hopefully we see dramatic improvement next year and beyond. There are no more excuses.

Reactions: 08Vol and kcvols1
There is no such thing as "luck". Luck is the idea that there are causeless effects that just "happen" to certain people.

There is the providence of God and then there is our choices and actions. Those are the things that determine our outcomes.

UT's "luck" goes back to the choice of Sanders to replace Cut then Fulmer's subsequent failure to hold his assistants accountable and especially Sanders. The inaction or incompetence of the UT AD failed to react correctly to Fulmer's decline in time to turn him around and save him. Ultimately, he was rightly fired due to the direction in the program and total lack of discipline. The choices made after were bad... to really, really bad.

IMHO, Fulmer was always better suited for a political position like AD than HC. Either wisely or blindly, he hired a guy who runs a pretty tight ship. I do not know if Pruitt will succeed but this looks like the right chemistry.

"POTENTIALLY" yes, however knowing Tenns "luck" over the last 10 years,They probably wont hear back from the NCAA on the Cade Mays status until Sept 9th,,lol

There is no such thing as "luck". Luck is the idea that there are causeless effects that just "happen" to certain people.

There is the providence of God and then there is our choices and actions. Those are the things that determine our outcomes.

UT's "luck" goes back to the choice of Sanders to replace Cut then Fulmer's subsequent failure to hold his assistants accountable and especially Sanders. The inaction or incompetence of the UT AD failed to react correctly to Fulmer's decline in time to turn him around and save him. Ultimately, he was rightly fired due to the direction in the program and total lack of discipline. The choices made after were bad... to really, really bad.

IMHO, Fulmer was always better suited for a political position like AD than HC. Either wisely or blindly, he hired a guy who runs a pretty tight ship. I do not know if Pruitt will succeed but this looks like the right chemistry.

Spot on. You went slightly more existential than I did, but basically the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tombo7
2 first rounders at guard, a good C, and 2 sophomore future potential first rounders at tackle. The line is going to be great let’s hope the QB play is sufficient

If the line doesn’t play above average then we have a REALLY big problem.Unfortunately from the numbers i saw(on here now be it)wasn’t impressed.They did look like two diff teams from the start of the year to the end and having that continuity goes so far with oline especially.Wayna-Mays-Kennedy-Smith-Darnell.Sounds like an njce 5 and that’s not counting our other giys.Im just happy habe sum depth but does worry u sum amount of talent but im realistic it takes time.I expect above average to really good this coming year.

The quote below comes from this article. Much has been said over the years about UT’s bad luck, things not “going our way,” etc. But, you make your own luck in situations like this. Pruitt may not be the next coming of Saban, Meyer, or Fulmer for that matter. But, he has worked his rear end off, and the state of things is the fruit of his, and his staff’s, labor.

He is an actual X’s and O’s coach. That makes all kinds of “luck” possible.

We could be in for a very fun 2020! That is all.

Big Jerm doing work

I think there is such a thing as luck. If a punter punts the ball inside the 20 consistently, it's skill, If that same punter gets it inside the 10, it's usually hard work. If that same punt falls dead at the 1 inch line, that's what I call luck. Bad luck would be where is rolls slightly into the end zone, depending if you are the receiving team or defending team. :D

If the line doesn’t play above average then we have a REALLY big problem.Unfortunately from the numbers i saw(on here now be it)wasn’t impressed.They did look like two diff teams from the start of the year to the end and having that continuity goes so far with oline especially.Wayna-Mays-Kennedy-Smith-Darnell.Sounds like an njce 5 and that’s not counting our other giys.Im just happy habe sum depth but does worry u sum amount of talent but im realistic it takes time.I expect above average to really good this coming year.
2 true Freshmen at the tackle position are going to have some issues at first, especially in the SEC

The starters are important, but just as important, from what I can tell, we've got a pretty legitimate 2 deep...all of which on the 2's would have been starters for us 2-3 years ago... by having the 2's being able to come in without too much drop off will be the thing which separates a "good" OL from an "elite" OL. I do agree that we are only getting one new player, so, this same group has to prove we have the mentality to dominate in the run game.

UT has created it's own "bad luck", as you stated by bad choices......repeatedly. Hopefully hindsight is 20/20. The admin at odds with the athletic dept. and boosters wanting control is what occurred following Fulmer's departure as coach. Hamilton, Hart,Currie, were all one big joke and what does UT do after the 2016 season as Hart is resigning ? They keep CBJ who just threw away the East title and Sugar Bowl just because Hart didn't want to do it and it took the admin way too long to announce Currie. I think this cost UT 2 years of progress and we fell far behind UGA and UF in the East.

Division within our own ranks, not bad luck, is the cause of the shortcomings we've endured this past decade.Now recently, since the Bowl win and another year of good recruiting and hopefully a few more additions we're getting optimistic once again about the future. Hopefully common sense will prevail at the slightest hint of division from within and it's dealt with promptly and effectively.

Lastly UT's football team has gained some experience but overall still a very young team in the middle of a rebuild and I'm expecting some more growing pains but we have leaders now in our ranks that have won a few championships and it's important to stick together and get UT back to were it belongs in the college football ranks. Luck should not even factor into the equation but rather hard work and dedication. GBO !!!

It's amazing how lucky you can be when you work hard and aspire to be the best.
Yeah, Pruitt's got that no nonsense approach and knows his stuff. That's why I think it will be interesting in SECW in next few years. Though Kiffin/Pirate getting all the media attention, Pittman has put together a really good staff under the radar, will have similar mentality on developing trenches, and I think in 3 years, ARK will be in better position than MISS schools. CRAZY division though with all the names...Jimbo gonna have to start winning some games or hot seat coming.

Reactions: feathersax
The Fulmer curse is over, as evidenced by now having the best OL in the SEC... how appropriate.
I'm getting the feeling it's getting ready to be fun on the hill again! I know alot of LSU/Bama fans who all say they're ready for us to be relevant again...they realize the SEC is better when Vols are in the mix. Also, with all the positive momentum this week...Trey, Cade, WR transfers, I would be a bit surprised to see all this have a VERY positive affect on our final signings for this class...maybe some shockers coming out of the blue?

The Fulmer curse is over, as evidenced by now having the best OL in the SEC... how appropriate.

Maybe when PF made “ The Deal “ to get us that NC , the terms were that we would have that luck until he became AD of the VOLs because the one that was offering the deal knew that was going to be almost impossible . 🤔

Totally agree on the chemistry with Fulmer and Pruitt. It's nice to have a "football guy" at AD again, while Pruitt can be a football coach and let CPF handle the "politics", something I'm inclined to believe CJP may not be good at.

Gonna disagree on "divine providence" vs. luck. I'm inclined to believe God has better things to worry about than the outcome of football games. I do think luck exists, I'm equally certain it's a very bad idea to rely on it.

March madness disagrees on your luck theory.

Reactions: mercuryvol
Totally agree on the chemistry with Fulmer and Pruitt. It's nice to have a "football guy" at AD again, while Pruitt can be a football coach and let CPF handle the "politics", something I'm inclined to believe CJP may not be good at.

Gonna disagree on "divine providence" vs. luck. I'm inclined to believe God has better things to worry about than the outcome of football games. I do think luck exists, I'm equally certain it's a very bad idea to rely on it.
Jesus said that not even a sparrow can fall to the ground without God knowing. He is intimately concerned and involved in the affairs of men.

The outcome of a football game... can well impact the lives of many people... butterfly effect. That's providence.

VN Store

Back