On paper, which team is better?

This group has great potential to be as good or possibly better, but obviously we need to see Lanier, Milicic, and Dubar play at that level stepping up in competition anywhere near the way that DK did last season. I have little doubt the chemistry and defense will be there simply because having ZZ and Shack in the building will insure 100% buy in.

Potentially we are deeper with players who can score the ball, but it remains to be seen if any one of them can be that go-to guy in money situations anywhere close to DK. It will be very nice to have various options for end of game situations, but is there one guy who can 'rescue' us if need be or that Barnes can turn to for a huge bucket? Or maybe having a number of options will be a better thing.

Lots of questions to be answered, but I have a great feeling about this group.

On paper last year, because we kind of knew what we was getting outside of knecht & we was preseason ranked top 10. This years team could be better though, will have way more scorers than last year & deeper.

Reactions: SoullessGinger32_
There is too much unknown to accurately even guess at this point. This team team potentially has more offensive versatility and weapons. That does depend on how well a couple players translate moving up and how much development we get from a few guys. I think it is highly likely we are at least a little worse defensively.

Last year we added a big time scorer to an established roster that knew the system. It will be hard to reach the same level even with equal or better talent

I was bullish on last year’s team making the Elite 8 before the season started. I’m saying this team will do the same. It’ll be more balanced than last year and we will at least make the Elite 8 again. From that standpoint I guess you could say equal but I actually think this team looks like they have better overall pieces than last year, certainly offensively. If they play D anywhere near last year’s level and the team gels well, there is no limit.

I'll venture to say slightly better offensively, not quite as good defensively. I'm mainly basing that on replacing JJJ and SV, who were elite on the defensive end but inconsistent and limited on offense.

Why don't we see them play a few games before asking this question, eh?
I mean, the topic is specifically "on paper."

But to your point, I'm having a hard time formulating a guess. A lot is riding on the performance of our incoming transfers. We wound up with basically elite offense and defense last season, and it's difficult for me to assume we will replicate that after the turnover.

I’ll wait till fall too. Last year at this time we had Chris Ledlum—on paper. And JJJ didn’t announce his return until May 31. We became who we were through the process. But right now I’m feeling the Pointer Sisters….Go Big🍊!

VN Store

Back