Omaha bound

four SEC teams lost yesterday...three in the Top 25...Florida, Ole Miss, and South Carolina...Kentucky was the 4th team...it seems as wide open as I've seen in years...we'll see...and,

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: StarRaider
Still haven’t played anyone just isn’t true. Indiana, Liberty and Troy were all projected to be NCAA Tournament teams.

That's not quite the same as Vandy, Fla., Miss St., LSU now is it ? figuratively speaking we have played no one of the caliber of teams that we will be playing in the SEC. Not even close. We have a much improved team but until we see how we fare against the upper tier teams that we will be playing every weekend - then we really don't know. If you have 3 solid weekend starters you should be in the hunt - but let's see how we do against our SEC foes prior to booking tickets. Do love what coach V seems to be bringing to Lower Hudson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Titan05
None of the teams you mention are ranked in the top 50 in the country - we should be beating them - it's a different story when you start playing teams in the top ten every week. We still haven't played anybody.

Reactions: Titan05
None of the teams you mention are ranked in the top 50 in the country - we should be beating them - it's a different story when you start playing teams in the top ten every week. We still haven't played anybody.

I’m assuming you’re going off of the rpi so correct me if I’m wrong, but as of this morning neither is Georgia, Florida, Miss St, Auburn, and Ole Miss. Also Indiana is at 35.

Reactions: OldTimer
If you have watched UT baseball for a long time, like a lot of us that post here have, then you can see the difference. They pass the eye test whether they have played Indiana or LSU. When you win 13 in a row, you have played some very good baseball. Austin Peay over Vandy, Gardner Webb and Liberty over South Carolina, North Florida and Florida Gulf Coast over the gators, Wright st over ole miss and other upsets, prove that any team is capable of beating any other team in baseball. Pitching and defense wins and we have both this year. My scout buddies have told me we have 5 kids in the bullpen that could start for most teams (including SEC teams) in the country. I’ve seen more scouts at our games this year, checking out both position players and pitchers, than I have in many years. They aren’t there because we are winning games. They are there because we have some talent. Time will tell but I think we have something special going on.

Last edited:
If you have watched UT baseball for a long time, like a lot of us that post here have, then you can see the difference. They pass the eye test whether they have played Indiana or LSU. When you win 13 in a row, you have played some very good baseball. Austin Peay over Vandy, Gardner Webb and Liberty over South Carolina, North Florida and Florida Gulf Coast over the gators, Wright st over ole miss and on and on, prove that any team is capable of beating any other team in baseball. Pitching and defense wins and we have both this year. My scout buddies have told me we have 5 kids in the bullpen that could start at most teams (including SEC teams) in the country. I’ve seen more scouts at our games this year, checking out both position players and pitchers, than I have in many years. They aren’t there because we are winning games. They are there because we have some talent. Time will tell but I think we have something special going on.

Our starting pitchers have done so well, I'd bet there's some talent in the pen that we haven't even seen yet.

....and Kentucky had to score 4 or 5 in the bottom of the 9th to beat Northern Kentucky. Not saying N Kentucky is that good, just an example of how anyone can be beaten if they don’t show up ready to play. GBO!
South Carolina lost to Gardner-Webb this week.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
If you have watched UT baseball for a long time, like a lot of us that post here have, then you can see the difference. They pass the eye test whether they have played Indiana or LSU. When you win 13 in a row, you have played some very good baseball. Austin Peay over Vandy, Gardner Webb and Liberty over South Carolina, North Florida and Florida Gulf Coast over the gators, Wright st over ole miss and other upsets, prove that any team is capable of beating any other team in baseball. Pitching and defense wins and we have both this year. My scout buddies have told me we have 5 kids in the bullpen that could start for most teams (including SEC teams) in the country. I’ve seen more scouts at our games this year, checking out both position players and pitchers, than I have in many years. They aren’t there because we are winning games. They are there because we have some talent. Time will tell but I think we have something special going on.

Agree with everything here. I still think it’s hard for some, including myself, to get hopes too high. We’ve done this before and fell apart in SEC play. BVS is a real thing.

Yep. Totally agree. We have depth, experience and maturity. The positive thing about having the youngest team in the Power 5 last year is that they are now one of the most experienced teams in the Power 5 this year, as far as innings played, etc. This team is hitting its stride, and part of the reason we have won the games we have is due to depth and unselfishness. The second string guys are genuinely pulling for the guys in front of them. For the teams that can do that.....good things will happen. We also have 4 legit starting pitchers that can compete with anyone. We can also roll out pitchers from the pen one after the other and they are all legit. The improvement defensively is also easy to see. Are they going to go 50-6? Of course not....but I will stick to my pre-season prediction of at least 15-15 in the SEC. I think most SEC teams would sign up for that right now if they could. Tough grind. Proud of our boys. They just need to stay focused each and every game and keep working hard. It will pay off. GBO!!

A big thing that I've always believed to be defensive baseball/softball gospel is that "you gotta be strong up the middle." Based on what I've seen, our catcher(s), shortstop, second baseman and center fielder are rock solid for the first time in several years. Our 'wing" players are darn good too. With our presence on the mound, no matter who you name, we're gonna be difficult to score on. If we get the kind of hitting we need to put crooked numbers on the board a couple of times a game, we'll be damn hard to beat. I'm pretty close to being "all in" on this year's baseVols!!! :)

What the other SEC teams that are losing some games are doing is rotating starting lineups to get as many players starts as possible to prepare in case of injury and/or starters slumping during the long SEC season. Love this coaching staff, but they are not doing that. I hope we stay healthy, because all this depth we have needs more than one at bat a game in the 8th or 9th inning to be prepared to play in the SEC if needed.

That's not quite the same as Vandy, Fla., Miss St., LSU now is it ? figuratively speaking we have played no one of the caliber of teams that we will be playing in the SEC. Not even close. We have a much improved team but until we see how we fare against the upper tier teams that we will be playing every weekend - then we really don't know. If you have 3 solid weekend starters you should be in the hunt - but let's see how we do against our SEC foes prior to booking tickets. Do love what coach V seems to be bringing to Lower Hudson.
Well no not the same as those teams no. Those are also 4 of the best teams in the country. No disagreement there.

I’m assuming you’re going off of the rpi so correct me if I’m wrong, but as of this morning neither is Georgia, Florida, Miss St, Auburn, and Ole Miss. Also Indiana is at 35.

What are you talking about ? So Georgia, Florida, Miss St., Auburn, and Ole Miss are not in the top 50 in the country ? All 5 of those teams are in the top 20, two are in the top 10. You are just proving my point. The rankings I looked at didn't have Indiana in the top 50.

What are you talking about ? So Georgia, Florida, Miss St., Auburn, and Ole Miss are not in the top 50 in the country ? All 5 of those teams are in the top 20, two are in the top 10. You are just proving my point. The rankings I looked at didn't have Indiana in the top 50.

We heard you the first time. Please, tell us again how UT hasn't played anybody of relevance.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan

I clearly said I was looking at the rpi as of yesterday morning and to correct me if I’m wrong at the rankings. So I’ll say it again what rankings are you looking at?

Yes sir. You can tell who knows a thing or two about baseball. I am sure we have a few more people who agree after tonight. Of course some people are so jaded, they are still waiting on the basketball team to collapse.

Reactions: zachpack
FYI, there are no dominant teams. Each team has warts. Vandy can't pitch. LSU can't pitch. Florida can't hit and on and on. It is more wide open this year than it has been in years. On the other hand, we have pitching, hitting, and fielding. We have experience. The top 11 or 12 teams are all about even and very beatable.

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
FYI, there are no dominant teams. Each team has warts. Vandy can't pitch. LSU can't pitch. Florida can't hit and on and on. It is more wide open this year than it has been in years. On the other hand, we have pitching, hitting, and fielding. We have experience. The top 11 or 12 teams are all about even and very beatable.

They haven't had a super tough series yet and I don't think they'll dominate like they do in non-conference play but Mississippi State has looked almost flawless this year. The only real problem they seemed to have was getting their bats going the first couple innings which they've already seemed to have solved.

Of course this thread loses steam after the watching the last 11 innings of play. People are understandably excited but, like others have stated, 15-15 in the ridiculous meat grinder that is SEC play would be a huge improvement, especially considering the tough SEC West draw this year. Just hope people don't get too down when things invariably start going sideways.

VN Store

Back