Olivier Nkamhoua Enters the Transfer Portal

Hopefully for his sake he will learn how to make the 8’ lane fade away shot while at Michigan. Seriously I would be interested to know how many times he hit the front rim on that shot. And I personally thought he had the weakest hands on the team. And JP wasn’t far behind him. I really do hope he has success though and earns a living playing basketball.

Not saying you’re wrong Dog, as I was one of many who commented on his poor body language and lack of hustle which I found unbelievable as an SEC starter. Then he would get interviewed and say all the right things to make me think he was fully bought into the culture of the program? I’m interested to see if a change of scenery and coaching staff has any effect on his performance.
In my opinion, Barnes’ used the bench/ lack of playing time as a “motivator”… but players look really nervous to make a mistake only to get benched for a mistake.. I see it creates a nervous playing environment, and players have been thriving after they left Rick Barnes’ TN teams.
ON REALLY struggled as a Freshmen/ Sophomore but had some good highlights as a junior which I thought would translate into a good senior year. Yup.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I think your post makes zero sense. Playing nervous in no way equates to playing with less than full effort IMO. Playing 25+ minutes in a game with ON’s height and athletic ability and getting 2 or less rebounds is a true barometer of his low energy / effort. Why some on this forum continue to attempt to blame CRB for some of the players shortcomings yet somehow not recognize those same shortcomings aren’t shared by the rest of the roster is baffling. If something is Barnes’ fault then it should affect more than one player as the rest of the team played with great effort. Again JMO

In my opinion, Barnes’ used the bench/ lack of playing time as a “motivator”… but players look really nervous to make a mistake only to get benched for a mistake.. I see it creates a nervous playing environment, and players have been thriving after they left Rick Barnes’ TN teams.
ON REALLY struggled as a Freshmen/ Sophomore but had some good highlights as a junior which I thought would translate into a good senior year. Yup.

I’m just curious as to which players thrived after leaving UT.

IMO actually I think the opposite is true. I understand your point but Rick literally begged players to take open shot. Constantly. I’m having trouble remembering a player that left CRB Vols and went to a prominent program/conference and thriving. There’s probably one but I can’t recall him.

IMO actually I think the opposite is true. I understand your point but Rick literally begged players to take open shot. Constantly. I’m having trouble remembering a player that left CRB Vols and went to a prominent program/conference and thriving. There’s probably one but I can’t recall him.
Derrick Walker is the only one I can think of, and his departure wasn't simply a matter of being unhappy at Tennessee, IIRC.

Derrick Walker is the only one I can think of, and his departure wasn't simply a matter of being unhappy at Tennessee, IIRC.

Jabari McGhee, but he transferred to lesser conferences. Even at those inferior programs, he rarely got starts though.

Tariq Owens, but he ran off about the same time that Barnes set foot on campus.

I would nominate DJ Burns for the best season at a P5 level at N C State. He could have been a really good player if he would have committed himself to proper nutrition and training. I expect Barnes pushed him harder than he wanted leading to his departure. A real shame for him that he wouldn’t buy in as he’d probably be getting paid to play somewhere this season if he had.

I would nominate DJ Burns for the best season at a P5 level at N C State. He could have been a really good player if he would have committed himself to proper nutrition and training. I expect Barnes pushed him harder than he wanted leading to his departure. A real shame for him that he wouldn’t buy in as he’d probably be getting paid to play somewhere this season if he had.
Yeah, that one maybe comes with an asterisk since his success at NCSU came off his initial transfer to Winthrop after three seasons. And like with Derrick Walker, I'm also not sure Burns's decision to leave was entirely his own.

Yeah, that one maybe comes with an asterisk since his success at NCSU came off his initial transfer to Winthrop after three seasons. And like with Derrick Walker, I'm also not sure Burns's decision to leave was entirely his own.

DJ had a decent career, but he did it while being fat.

I don’t think Barnes style enables players to skip out on the personal accountability of fitness. It sets a bad precedent.

DJ had a decent career, but he did it while being fat.

I don’t think Barnes style enables players to skip out on the personal accountability of fitness. It sets a bad precedent.
Yep, he did it in spite of his physical condition. I can only imagine how good he could have been if he only had Grant Williams' level of fitness.

It's astonishing how much our recruiting has improved since those days.

Yep. The challenge used to be about filling out every spot in the rotations with a high level recruit. Now it has shifted more to keeping 10 or more high level recruits happy in their roles. It’s kind of funny to look back at who was getting LOTS of minutes on earlier rosters.

Juwan Howard on Nkamhoua...
“It’s a thrill to be able to bring in an efficient and skilled player like Olivier,” Howard said. “He brings so many intangibles and experiences we know he will have an immediate impact for us. His strength, rebounding, hustle, back-to-the-basket game as well as outside shooting are just a few of his skillset that fans notice right away.
Has he seen Nkamhoua play?

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I think your post makes zero sense. Playing nervous in no way equates to playing with less than full effort IMO. Playing 25+ minutes in a game with ON’s height and athletic ability and getting 2 or less rebounds is a true barometer of his low energy / effort. Why some on this forum continue to attempt to blame CRB for some of the players shortcomings yet somehow not recognize those same shortcomings aren’t shared by the rest of the roster is baffling. If something is Barnes’ fault then it should affect more than one player as the rest of the team played with great effort. Again JMO
It does effect more than one player. I watch every single game that comes on every single year. I watch closely and am observant of body language.

Barnes’ system for playing time is his sole “motivator”. You make a mistake, he yanks you. Especially when you are new in his system.

Here's the list of players that left Tennessee and were better at the next school:

Chris Darrington - scored 200 pts here- left for Toledo and scored 528 next season.
Derrick Walker - received All Big Ten honors. Walker led Nebraska with 13.6 points, 7.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game. 10th in Big Ten. We needed more inside presence.
DJ Burns - won Big South Player of the Year at Winthrop and then transferred to NC State where he averaged 12/4/1.5
Drew Pember - BEARDEN NATIVE - transferred to UNC Asheville only to average 20.9/9.1/2.3 shooting 37.3% from 3. He was a big reason why UNCA only lost 7 games that year!
Davonte Gaines - went from 1ppg at TN to 10 ppg at George Mason shooting 40% from 3 during his junior year

EJ Anosike - huge VFL - sister went here -he was the #2 Transfer in the portal - was supposed to be a huge post presence - nope, came in worse
Victor Bailey Jr - looked the most nervous of all. Dude was an athletic freak and had a redshirt season to prepare himself for much needed PT at the 2 spot. Came in and just couldn't get it together
Tyreke Key - comes in worse than his previous school
Justin Powell - comes in worse than his previous school

Hold on I’m on mobile and I’ll update the list of players who either succeeded after they were out of Barnes’ system or were way better before they came to Tennessee. The list is bigger than you’d think.

EDIT: I updated the list. I gtg back to work, but that covers it minus 2019-2023.

Last edited:
I’m just curious as to which players thrived after leaving UT.
Posted the list. Could use a few more from 2019+ but I don't have the time right now

Posted the list. Could use a few more from 2019+ but I don't have the time right now

Are you seriously going to tell us that Darrington, Pember, and Gaines got better because they got better coaching and not because they took a step down in competition? Common sense.

Walker and Burns have been discussed as to why they left- don't think it was strictly by the coaches. Burns went to Winthrop for 3 years and was still out of shape his final year at NC State. If he had been in shape, he would have averaged 12 and 4 at UT. If we want to go there, then we can counter that with Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Jordan Bone, Jordan Bowden, Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer, Yves Pons, Kyle Alexander, Kevin Punter, and Kennedy Chandler who all came through and have played some type of pro ball. Doesn't even include John Fulkerson, who certainly improved.

I am really not spending my time on responding to much more of this, because it's nonsensical. Sure, Barnes hasn't had the greatest track record with incoming transfers, but it's real easy to see why guys have left and played better basketball.

VN Store

Back