Ole Miss traveled on their inbounds play

Over 12 minutes without a Made Shot. Barnes: "Some of our turnovers were ridiculous." Hey Coach; you the Coach. JJJ is NOT a point guard; for one thing. Nobody is cutting to the basket; for another. When the 3's are falling, you better have some plays that work; instead of passing around the perimeter.

Over 12 minutes without a Made Shot. Barnes: "Some of our turnovers were ridiculous." Hey Coach; you the Coach. JJJ is NOT a point guard; for one thing. Nobody is cutting to the basket; for another. When the 3's are falling, you better have some plays that work; instead of passing around the perimeter.

What do these comments have to do with the thread topic? Or do you just want to complain in a thread that the OP has specially suggested can be done in other places?

Very blatant travel, but in the refs defense, they sucked all night so they were on par with their performance for missing that call...
My wife and I replayed it 5 times last night. In live we both thought walk. After several reviews we both became unsure. Now neither of us are officials, but she is always right so it must of not been so blatant

What do these comments have to do with the thread topic? Or do you just want to complain in a thread that the OP has specially suggested can be done in other places?

Oh I forgot. This was the "Blame the loss on something other than bad play." Thread. I'll try to be more Cognizant. There were some bad calls, but I noticed Barnes explained the loss as Turning the ball over and missing shots.

With 3 seconds left. And their big guy got away with a really blatant one in the 1st half as he scored.

That is all.

Something has happened in the world of the officials. What ever happened to the most basic foundation of "moving with the ball"?
For most of my life you could not move without dribbling the ball. You could not pick up your pivot foot, dance in place in other words just not move around without dribbling the ball. It has taken on the same principle as the "jump" ball - takes too much time, breaks the rhythm of the game etc. Can you imagine if the call "walking" as often as it is done how much the game would change? Naa they ain't gonna do that. Besides, these big less than graceful football players masquerading as basketballers would not be playing this sport.

That step back three early in the game by that Ole Miss guard should have been a travel, you can do that in the NBA but not in college. Again, the officials would have been better officiating a pig manure throwing contest than an SEC basketball game. But in the officials defense and to be fair, the Vols played like they had never seen a trapping zone before and they gift wrapped turnovers to the Rebels all night long.....

Reactions: Kinger
Something has happened in the world of the officials. What ever happened to the most basic foundation of "moving with the ball"?
For most of my life you could not move without dribbling the ball. You could not pick up your pivot foot, dance in place in other words just not move around without dribbling the ball. It has taken on the same principle as the "jump" ball - takes too much time, breaks the rhythm of the game etc. Can you imagine if the call "walking" as often as it is done how much the game would change? Naa they ain't gonna do that. Besides, these big less than graceful football players masquerading as basketballers would not be playing this sport.

And when was the rule added that anything goes and rules no longer apply when it’s the end of a game? I wonder at what time on the clock things like fouls are not to be called?

It’s a good thing that basketball goes away for 6 or 7 months every year. I get really tired of the officiating around February and am ready for the hiatus.

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
Wouldn’t have mattered. Vols didn’t have anyone who wanted to make a shot in that situation. They’d dribbled and passed the 3secs off the clock.

Reactions: Lurker
Should never have come down to a travel call against this team. Simply put Ole Miss out fought us. They were tougher than we were. There's just something off/missing from this bunch. There's no alpha and no real identity. They're like a puzzle with a lot of pieces that don't really fit together.

It's basketball. Almost every team ever has lost games they shouldn't have to teams they should have beaten by 15+ on paper.

If you want to call it OM "out fought us"....I guess that's an interpretation. I saw us hand the game to them. We played about as bad as we could and we still almost won. I mean if you want to go there, OM SHOULD have beaten us going away, but they didn't because they aren't very good. It's a bad loss for sure, but it had almost everything to do with what we didn't do, not what they did.

Reactions: Lurker
A different no call. Doesn’t taunting an opponent after posterizing them draw a technical foul anymore?
It did in a Big Ten game last night. Last night in our game, it should have been called as that’s supposed to be one of those “points of emphasis.” Clearly taunting.

JJJ didn't bring the ball up for the most part. He was just the outlet for Vescovi on the 1-3-1. He did have a bad game though. Johnson and Springer had a few great drives and just couldn't convert.

The taunt was at their 12th point.

The other none walk referenced in the early post was on their 31st point. Actually it might have been 2 walks on that play. It’s also an example of Fulk getting knocked out of position. That is hard to defend and emphasizes the other way to exploit TN (in addition to trapping/pressing). You really need a big ass body to counter that kind of power move to the hoop.

And when was the rule added that anything goes and rules no longer apply when it’s the end of a game? I wonder at what time on the clock things like fouls are not to be called?

It’s a good thing that basketball goes away for 6 or 7 months every year. I get really tired of the officiating around February and am ready for the hiatus.

I am going to be honest...I probably won't watch the game on Saturday because I get too worked up when watching a game at Rupp. I am not sure I have seen a full one in the last few years. I get nervous in close games, and the officiating has really caused me to take a pause on watching some games. Let's be fair though, we have said this for years. I just don't think they are trained well enough. I officiated rec-ball as a youngster, and I know it's tough. But the inconsistency and missed calls drive me crazy.

To clarify for those who think he may have only taken two steps. On an inbounds pass the receiver can take two steps upon receipt of the ball but he must shoot or pass all in one motion after the steps. The question on the final play wasn't whether he took more than two steps. Once he caught the ball, one foot HAS to remain stationary if he isn't dribbling or passing/shooting.

Fundamentals of the game are disappearing. Not blaming the loss on that single play, but it was an egregious no call during a critical part of the game.

I am going to be honest...I probably won't watch the game on Saturday because I get too worked up when watching a game at Rupp. I am not sure I have seen a full one in the last few years. I get nervous in close games, and the officiating has really caused me to take a pause on watching some games. Let's be fair though, we have said this for years. I just don't think they are trained well enough. I officiated rec-ball as a youngster, and I know it's tough. But the inconsistency and missed calls drive me crazy.

Absolutely not trained well. I’ve posted before how ridiculous it is that the administrators and coaches take such a huge share of the revenue in their salaries while officiating seems to receive little investment.

It was a walk. No question. But, there were missed calls all night, both ways. I have absolutely no faith that had they received the ball back last night with three seconds that they would have done anything of value.

To me the real problem appears to have been (and be) that the Vols simply don't have a leader who is willing to assert himself and steer the team on the court in times of adversity (i.e. Pons and Vescovi being in foul trouble). They acted like they had no idea what to do with a trapping zone -- something they have surely seen for most of their playing lives. Three defenders on the ball means two players (at least) should be wide open, but not if you don't respond correctly. The traps should have allowed UT to run away with the game, not fold.

This team is full of really good players, but they are immature and don't have a floor leader. Instead they panicked and blew an entirely winnable game. They have a month to grow up or a team with tremendous potential will end up far short of where they should be.

To your point, that is so true. It baffles me when there are obvious missed calls, not by one, but by all 3 officials. It has to be lack of training. It happens both ways. Last night Springer and Pons were literally knocked off their path with hard fouls on drives that resulted in turnovers. Those are fouls...period. I would say that if it was AGAINST our players. Tennessee is being mugged in the low post at this point. I would mug them, too, if the officials allow it.

VN Store

Back