Ole Miss stole a win

Well to be fair they weren't going to finish that game last night, tarp or no tarp. Radar showed massive thunderstorms for hours. I think the "start the game earlier" is a more valid argument here.

I didn’t know the rule was to revert to the score from B6. Crazy. I’d be ticked too.

Any game that is stopped after the 5th inning and an inning is not completed reverts back to the last complete inning score. Don't scream too loud because if I remember right we have won at least a couple in the last few years by rainout. The argument here is that they did not tarp it but I'm told by my son who lives right near there it would not have mattered. It started raining and rained all night with lightning and even tornados in the area so it would not have been able to be played. I don't see the big uproar over it seeing the big picture. They are not required to put a tarp on the field.

Any game that is stopped after the 5th inning and an inning is not completed reverts back to the last complete inning score. Don't scream too loud because if I remember right we have won at least a couple in the last few years by rainout. The argument here is that they did not tarp it but I'm told by my son who lives right near there it would not have mattered. It started raining and rained all night with lightning and even tornados in the area so it would not have been able to be played. I don't see the big uproar over it seeing the big picture. They are not required to put a tarp on the field.
I think they balked at the idea of starting the game early knowing the expected forecast. Not sure if the result from Tuesday led into that or other logistical things. Surely a crap way to get an L.

Reactions: VolPack22
I've never seen that feathersax. They can suspend the game and call a game but they cannot make you tarp a field because a tarp is not required. I've seen a college in a similar situation not put the tarp on the mound or home plate so that the field would be unplayable and there was nothing that could be done. It is not ethical or right but I don't think there is a rule to determine it.
I've also seen teams water their football fields the day before a game excessively that were playing a team with fast running backs so the field would be mushy. Lots of gamesmanship played in sports, whether we like it or not.

I'm sure Ole Miss would say they balked at the idea of starting early because it is not HS and you can't just move up a game time without a lot of problems. Getting adequate staff for gates, ushers, concession stands, announcers, camera people and on and on. You can't decide at 12 to move a game from 6 to 4. I'm willing to bet we would be in that same boat. You can move it back but not up the day of.

I've never seen that feathersax. They can suspend the game and call a game but they cannot make you tarp a field because a tarp is not required. I've seen a college in a similar situation not put the tarp on the mound or home plate so that the field would be unplayable and there was nothing that could be done. It is not ethical or right but I don't think there is a rule to determine it.
I've also seen teams water their football fields the day before a game excessively that were playing a team with fast running backs so the field would be mushy. Lots of gamesmanship played in sports, whether we like it or not.

I'm sure Ole Miss would say they balked at the idea of starting early because it is not HS and you can't just move up a game time without a lot of problems. Getting adequate staff for gates, ushers, concession stands, announcers, camera people and on and on. You can't decide at 12 to move a game from 6 to 4. I'm willing to bet we would be in that same boat. You can move it back but not up the day of.
You make a lot of sense but you're ruining our opportunity to bitch about Ole Miss being a bunch of cowards.

would you be sad if CTV did that?

Nope. It’s part of baseball but the code among coaches is to do everything possible to play the game with accountability. They should have started the game earlier or turfed the field.

My son’s college team lost a chance for a conference championship over the same situation. My only complaint was the opposing coach didn’t hold the code. He, like OM, didn’t tarp the field & the game was rained out. He was down 6-1 going into the 5th. Not a guarantee he’d lost but he took no chances.

Reactions: VolPack22
It’s not just the tarp. It’s the totality of the situation. LT was frustrated Ole Miss didn’t want to start the game earlier. They even said they would hop on a bus and come back to finish up the game. Don’t start an inning if you know bad weather is incoming. Umpires and Ole Miss could have went to LT and said hey we’re 6 innings through this thing and bad weather is coming. Let’s just call it. They didn’t do that. They tried to keep it going for no particular reason. If they just call it after 6 innings then this is a non issue. But the fact that Ole Miss was losing whenever the game was suspended is a horrible look for them. Should be considered a no contest.

It’s not just the tarp. It’s the totality of the situation. LT was frustrated Ole Miss didn’t want to start the game earlier. They even said they would hop on a bus and come back to finish up the game. Don’t start an inning if you know bad weather is incoming. Umpires and Ole Miss could have went to LT and said hey we’re 6 innings through this thing and bad weather is coming. Let’s just call it. They didn’t do that. They tried to keep it going for no particular reason. If they just call it after 6 innings then this is a non issue. But the fact that Ole Miss was losing whenever the game was suspended is a horrible look for them. Should be considered a no contest.
Bianco looks like an ass. I’m good wit it

Ole Miss was ahead at the end of the last inning. They’d been happy to end it there.

Trailing top of 7th 5-4 to LaTech. Rain came, Ole Miss didn’t tarp the field and took the rainout with score reverting to bottom of 6th 4-3 Ole Miss.

LaTech coach ain’t happy

What kind of rule is this? Stolen is the correct description.

Ole Miss was ahead at the end of the last inning. They’d been happy to end it there.
A lot of pissing and moaning could have been avoided had they done so. Hopefully Ole Miss cherishes their midweek split. Losers.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'd like to see a change, so that if the team ahead (or tied) on the scoreboard at the time game is called would lose according to the previous inning rule...
the game would be "frozen" as it is,
and if at the end of the season the outcome of the incompleted game would change either team's status for conference tourney or post-season participation...
then both teams would have to reconvene play, beginning as the game was frozen, including base runners, but with a fresh count to the batter.
Allowance would be made to put different pitchers on the mound, according to their normal rotation or availability at the time.

But I'm sure there's something potentially unfair, or economically unviable, in my thinking.

Reactions: txbo and chuckiepoo
I get premise but can’t. LT or Ole Miss might not know until championship Sunday when they decide. Whee add t if a team had multiple games or if it happened to us and Gonzaga. Gonna make them fly back here? It is like the Sunday travel rule. I’ve seen teams stall to get to time limit.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back