Ole Miss Hates Us?

I just never did have any use fer 'em ... except when Cutcliffe and Eli were there, they were just tolerable then. But now, the feud is back on.

Besides us playing them this year, I can tolerate Ole Miss more then Bama, Auburn, LSU, Texas AM, Miss St. In other words, they are the least annoying other SECw Teams. Maybe will change my mind in a couple of years.

Guess I better get my hate game in gear for them. I don't even dislike them at this point.

I hate them because of Dexter McCluster. I remember when he ran like idk 900yds on us.
The look on Lane Kiffins face that whole game was priceless. What was it you said your daddy the defensive coordinator used to do before he came here?

Ah it's all because of that movie that Sandra b. looked smokin hot in for a gilf. They're the poorest state in the country (I think. Don't really care to look it up). Their governor probably had something to do with their recruiting success. "We gon glorify the state of Mississippi y'all!" Bunch of racist flatlanders in my opinion

I'll take Mississippi over Alabama in a heartbeat.

I don't know precisely when the "hate" began from the perspective of Ole Miss fans, but legendary coaches Bob Neyland and Johnny Vaught certainly provided fuel for the fire. In 1947, his first year as the Rebels' coach, Vaught led Ole Miss to a convincing 43-13 victory over Tennessee. Neyland took offense at the fact that Vaught, in his opinion, went out of his way to run up the score and promised that he would show Ole Miss no mercy in the future. He was true to his word, defeating Mississippi in 1949, '50 and 1951 by the scores of 35-7, 35-0 and 46-21 (see Tennessee vs Mississippi 1869-2013).

Although the corroborating link for the following story no longer appears to work, here is one Tennessee fan's recollection of the aforementioned events:

"[Johnny] Vaught's wins over Neyland happened right after Neyland came back from WW2 and was in the process of rebuilding the Vols. The first time Vaught ran up the score and won 43-13. Neyland was irate, because Vaught obviously ran up the score. Neyland said he'd never hold back against Vaught. The next season, Ole Miss eeked out a 3 point win, but no more after that... The following season, UT beat Ole Miss by 28. The following season, UT beat Ole Miss by 35. The following season, UT won by 25. And 40 years later, in the last Tennessee game my father saw before he died, gentleman Johnny Majors took a knee and left the ball sitting on the Ole Miss 1 at the end of the game, with my Dad up in stands saying: "Go ahead and score. Neyland would have against Ole Miss."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I've never personally had any problems with Ole Miss fans and this coming from someone who lived in Mississippi during the Peyton years in a neighborhood full of them.

Ah it's all because of that movie that Sandra b. looked smokin hot in for a gilf. They're the poorest state in the country (I think. Don't really care to look it up). Their governor probably had something to do with their recruiting success. "We gon glorify the state of Mississippi y'all!" Bunch of racist flatlanders in my opinion

That's no way to talk about anyone, I have family in Ms, they are well off with hearts unlike any others, every year atleast 2 of my friends have moved down there due to the low taxes and better schools for the past 3 years, there has been issues with goverent officials but it's steadily improving, living in memphis my wife and I seriously considered moving to Tipton county.
The people , for the most part ,are hard workers and honest, there is racism everywhere and you won't find a more improved racially diverse state in the nation, while tunica is on the fall jobs are being created as Memphians move down to escape our gaping economy.
Glad the sates college teams are doing well, just means when we beat them it will feel better, and mean much more, their reign will not last long, never does.
Go Vols.

1. A legend only. A sportswriter asked why he was called "hacksaw" and he came up with the story. The truth was that everyone in the locker room knew that he "would cut anything!" 8 to 80, fat or thin, ugly or pretty, sane or crazy, drunk or sober, with the only qualification being able to breathe earth's atmosphere.
2. Many of the home/home games were played in Memphis where it was virtually a home game for Ole Miss.

GO BIG ORANGE!

It's not legend only; it really happened. My dad played at UT '71-'75, and though he wasn't there when it happened, he did see a picture(s) of the "before" and "after", in addition to everyone (teammates mostly, and CBB) confirming the story. I'm sure some may call BS, and I guess that's fair, but if I was making it up, I'd say he saw him do it or at least was teammates w/him. I realize this doesn't prove anything, but figured some may have similar stories - I know there are some alumni who post on here every once in a while.

I think what OrangeByBirth is referring to is when Reynolds showed up to a pre-SB media session with handouts explaining how he got the nickname; that may have been construed as fiction.

Crap teams consider everyone better than them a rival. That's why Kentucky and Vanderbilt consider Tennessee a rival and why Tennessee considers Florida and Alabama rivals.

I didn't know Ole Miss considered us a rival...

HATE WEEK: TENNESSEE - Red Cup Rebellion

Would be great to play spoiler to their championship hopes with an upset victory in oxford! :rock:

It's not legend only; it really happened. My dad played at UT '71-'75, and though he wasn't there when it happened, he did see a picture(s) of the "before" and "after", in addition to everyone (teammates mostly, and CBB) confirming the story. I'm sure some may call BS, and I guess that's fair, but if I was making it up, I'd say he saw him do it or at least was teammates w/him. I realize this doesn't prove anything, but figured some may have similar stories - I know there are some alumni who post on here every once in a while.

I think what OrangeByBirth is referring to is when Reynolds showed up to a pre-SB media session with handouts explaining how he got the nickname; that may have been construed as fiction.

Correct on all counts. I saw a reference yesterday to the fact that Reynolds dispensed "handouts" prior to the Super Bowl media sessions simply because he was sick and tired of answering the same question over and over and over. Here is one account of the hacksaw incident, which was originally published by Mike Strange in 2006:

"There must be something therapeutic about sawing," the stout man said with a chuckle. If the category is University of Tennessee football legends, any true Vols fan could identify the speaker. At 58, Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds . . . was back in town Thursday, once again performing surgery on an old car. This time he's getting paid for it rather than venting frustrations. Thursday's sawing was a promotional appearance for LENOX, a manufacturer of tools and saws.

In November 1969, it was a grimmer scene. It was Reynolds' senior year and the unbeaten, third-ranked Vols were embarrassed 38-0 by Archie Manning and Ole Miss in Jackson, Miss. "I came back to school and I was very upset," Reynolds said. "I had to do something to relieve my frustration." Nothing spelled relief to Reynolds like sawing. He vented on a 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air that had been abandoned on a wooded hillside across the river from campus. . . . Reynolds purchased a pack of hacksaw blades on Kingston Pike and went to work on Sunday afternoon. He finished sometime Monday, 13 blades later. "I was going to cut it in half and make a trailer," he said. "That was some hard steel. You cant cut through a car with a hacksaw unless you cut it three or four times. I was breaking blades like crazy."

The next day, Reynolds and some teammates returned to admire his handiwork and got a surprise. "Lo and behold, somebody had stolen both halves," Reynolds said.
"All that was there was the logs I had it propped up on, the broken blades and the pieces of metal broke off the car." The masterpiece may have been gone, but Reynolds had a nickname for life.

After 15 seasons [in the NFL,] he retired in 84. He divides his time between homes in the Bahamas and Miami.

"I have all kinds of saws," he said. "There's something about sawing. I always said I was a cut above the other guys" (DuckSouth.com • View topic - the mule game- (football) and the making of hacksaw jim.).

Last edited:
Crap teams consider everyone better than them a rival. That's why Kentucky and Vanderbilt consider Tennessee a rival and why Tennessee considers Florida and Alabama rivals.

First off, underhanded insults, you must feel so clever. Second, your logic is flawed. We're a "crap team" apparently but it appears you're a Bama fan. You seem to be implying they consider us a rival because we're better, yet Ole Miss beat Bama. So apparently.... we're better than Bama? Oops right?

I didn't know Ole Miss considered us a rival...

HATE WEEK: TENNESSEE - Red Cup Rebellion

Would be great to play spoiler to their championship hopes with an upset victory in oxford! :rock:

New territory for them. They hate everybody who can ruin their wet dream. Would love to see a game like 2013 UGA or SC in this one. It's not like they cant be beaten. And at this point, we should be loose and rolling the dice.

Reactions: 1 person
New territory for them. They hate everybody who can ruin their wet dream. Would love to see a game like 2013 UGA or SC in this one. It's not like they cant be beaten. And at this point, we should be loose and rolling the dice.

Agreed. I hope CBJ pulls out a few different play calls on offense to show something different to throw them off a little. We hang in there until the Fourth Quarter you never know what can happen. :rock:

First off, underhanded insults, you must feel so clever. Second, your logic is flawed. We're a "crap team" apparently but it appears you're a Bama fan. You seem to be implying they consider us a rival because we're better, yet Ole Miss beat Bama. So apparently.... we're better than Bama? Oops right?

Nobody believes that either Mississippi State or Ole Miss' programs will be successful long-term. They, like Tennessee, simply do not have the infrastructure to sustain long-term success. I follow Florida State and Alabama right now because these programs have the ability to sustain themselves long-term. Maybe you enjoy rooting for a loser. That's a personal choice.

VN Store

Back