Ole Miss……..12th??

The Original Fade

Maybe this has already been discussed since I don’t post much in the RF, but you would think coming off a 10 win season with tons of positive momentum that the QB whisperer would have been able to do more than sign the 12th ranked class in the SEC……..and not a single QB signed? Do these recruits know he won’t stick around long? Thoughts?

Maybe this has already been discussed since I don’t post much in the RF, but you would think coming off a 10 win season with tons of positive momentum that the QB whisperer would have been able to do more than sign the 12th ranked class in the SEC……..and not a single QB signed? Do these recruits know he won’t stick around long? Thoughts?

Yes. I believe that's what it is.
His name is always getting floated around, and never really shoots rumors down

Ole Miss is in the mix for Bo Nix and Cameron Ward

The crazy thing is 12th is still a top 25 class. They did lose out on some players to Mississippi State, but are in the mix for a bunch of guys in the transfer portal. I imagine their combined ranking on 247 will be much higher than 12th when all is said and done

there are two signing days

Lane is a mercenary vagabond. He should never get hired for a power 5 head coaching position, as he will only set the program back after he leaves in less than 3 years.

He’s best suited as an OC who can float around from program to program without burning the place down.

I think kiffin thought he was getting out of Oxford with all these big jobs that came open.

Maybe he has matured and did not want to have to call all of his recruits and tell them not to sign or show up at Ole MIss but see where he landed. OR maybe he just got lazy and expected his season would take care of the kids interest. Who knows.

Smoke and mirrors - he is a good offensive coach - props for that - but he had his name in the hat for every opening. He and Ole Miss will be down next year without a top 3 in the country qb - and may very well drop like a rock. He was yearning for a new school - upgrade to a school with a better recruiting base like an LSU.
He typically does real well with JC's and transfers but you still have to have a strong high school base. Faking cramps can only get you so far, so long - he should have nabbed one of the other jobs and gotten out while the getting was good ino.

Most of the qb's out there in the transfer portal are not even close to the one that he just lost and the ones on his roster are even worse. He is going to live and die with the transfer portal it looks like - hoping it doesn't go well for him.

Smoke and mirrors - he is a good offensive coach - props for that - but he had his name in the hat for every opening. He and Ole Miss will be down next year without a top 3 in the country qb - and may very well drop like a rock. He was yearning for a new school - upgrade to a school with a better recruiting base like an LSU.
He typically does real well with JC's and transfers but you still have to have a strong high school base. Faking cramps can only get you so far, so long - he should have nabbed one of the other jobs and gotten out while the getting was good ino.

Most of the qb's out there in the transfer portal are not even close to the one that he just lost and the ones on his roster are even worse. He is going to live and die with the transfer portal it looks like - hoping it doesn't go well for him.
Those other jobs didn't want him, not that he could have left.

Reactions: Fightmaker
At the end of the day, it's still Ole Miss
Well they are headed to their second sugar bowl in 6 years we haven’t been to the Sugar Bowl in 30 years. They also won 10 games something we haven’t done since 2007 along with beating us.

He was just trying to make it fair for the rest of us. Many a Vol fan will tell you that he could’ve easily done better if he wanted to.

Kiffin is overmatched in the SEC West. He needs to migrate out west somewhere like Nevada Las Vegas. Too much of an attention hound and no loyalty to existing employers are a bad combination. No serious AD wants the baggage and instability Kiffin brings. Some fans seem to enjoy his antics for entertainment purposes but not administrators. Kiffin indeed thought he would get a strong look from LSU or at least Miami. Well NO and NO and he has partially used up the holdover talent from Matt Luke so it will be on him if Ole Miss flops on his watch. I expect Lane will lean on JUCO and transfer portal players until he can bail out and find another sucker school willing to hire him.

It’s been my experience that the current year (good or bad) doesn’t impact recruiting nearly as much as fans expect it to. Schools generally recruit around the same area regardless (unless you count the Freeze years where OM was bending the rules). A lot of recruits even admit they don’t watch or pay attention to college football enough to know who finished where in a certain conference.

Seems like relationships with coaches are far more important which is why so many recruits follow coaches and why you keep seeing highly ranked QBs go places like LSU under Miles or Auburn under Malzahn when everyone and their mother who paid attention knew they couldn’t develop a QB.

Rumor or coach speak is Kiffin is saving half the class for the portal. Which prolly helps even out recruiting for a school like ole miss.

VN Store

Back