Old tradition

You looking for VHS, BetaMax or super 8 footage?

You may have to hunt for it on YouTube or old VHS/DVD, maybe from one of the season highlight videos they used to do like Sugar Vols.

People use to throw small rolls of paper from the upper deck after scores. It was a roll of white paper maybe 2" in diameter and about 3/16" wide and it would unravel as it fell making long paper streamers.

Reactions: lukeneyland
No vids but I remember seeing it as a kid while there. Our own little tickertape parade.

Before that it was rolls of TP and then they locked them up when going to the industrial size. The small rolls were like sliced register paper rolls( thing receipts, older calculators). I think throwing anything was then quickly stopped.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
At first I thought you were talking about how they would send messages down from the press box on a string, but that was back in the 70’s.

People use to throw small rolls of paper from the upper deck after scores. It was a roll of white paper maybe 2" in diameter and about 3/16" wide and it would unravel as it fell making long paper streamers.
That's what I am talking about!! I was told it was cash register paper. Do you know how that got started and when did they stop it?

I had seats in the first few rows of section LL and used to see a lot of it get tossed off the upper deck. It was really common then just sort of went away, not sure why. My guess is maybe the university put a stop to it because the lower deck was complaining. It was happening when I was a student in the mid 80's so I don't know when it started.

Another lost tradition was the orange helium balloons that got released by the crowd at the start of the games. Think that ended in the late 80's.

I thought you might have better chance to see it on some of the old highlight videos from back in the day, not sure now much the TV crews caught things like that for the broadcasts and in the pre-cell phone era, your not going to see anyone in the crowd recording it.

Reactions: lukeneyland
Any old timers remember the late 70’s early 80’s when refs made a bad call people would throw oranges on the field.I was a kid but remember it.

Does anyone have video of the paper coming from the upper deck when the Vols scored during the 80's and early 90's

Speaking of paper coming from the upper deck:

It was the fall of 1978. Tennessee would win 34-0. I was sitting down in Section F. Throughout the game, I assumed several people in the upper deck decided to practice their aircraft engineering skills using copies of The Beacon. It was one of those things that started with one of two people getting it started, and as the margin increased, others got in on the act. About every two or three plays, you could hear chants of "Go,go go..." coming from the upper deck.

At some point, I imagine the early designs were altered, and the throwing motions were altered, as most had crashed into the stands. But just as Duke were lining up for a kickoff return, and their return man was waiting for the ball. th last "Go go go..." came from the upper deck. He watched this one approach the field, and fly right into the shoulder of the return man, and crash at his feet. Safe to say he was not amused, but everyone else was.

VN Store

Back