OL Coach

USAF_Vol

Let there be BEER
University of Tennessee head football coach Phillip Fulmer announced that Greg Adkins has been named offensive line coach.

Adkins, who serves as the director of recruiting, assumes full control of the line after working with UT's tight ends and assisting with the offensive line for the past three seasons.

"I'm pleased to have Greg take on the duties as the offensive line coach," said Fulmer. "He brings lots of energy and intensity to the position and has a great overall knowledge of offensive strategy. He's an excellent coach and will fit well in Coach Cutcliffe's plans."

The 37-year-old Adkins joined the UT staff in 2003, after coaching stints at Troy University, Georgia and Marshall. He is a graduate of Marshall, where he played football from 1989 to 1989.

The Vols still have two assistant coaching positions left to fill.

Originally posted by USAF_Vol@Nov 30, 2005 5:45 PM

The 37-year-old Adkins joined the UT staff in 2003, after coaching stints at Troy University, Georgia and Marshall. He is a graduate of Marshall, where he played football from 1989 to 1989.

[snapback]205890[/snapback]​

I just noticed this, he played a lot of college ball :lol:

1989 to 1989.

I had been hearing it was going to be him.

Originally posted by vol_freak@Nov 30, 2005 5:48 PM
I had been hearing it was going to be him.
[snapback]205892[/snapback]​

Got the post straight from UTsports.com

I think I read a thread where someone suggested Adkins.

Did you hear what Rob Smith said when Fulmer fired Stephens? He was mad. I hope Adkins can talk him into staying.

Originally posted by twest1352@Nov 30, 2005 5:57 PM
:rock:
Hope He's good.
We got a good RB and I'd hope it wouldn't go to waste.
[snapback]205899[/snapback]​

Good is an understatement man....Foster is a beast....I can't wait to see him the next 2 or 3 years...He's going to be fun to watch

Originally posted by USAF_Vol@Nov 30, 2005 4:45 PM
University of Tennessee head football coach Phillip Fulmer announced that Greg Adkins has been named offensive line coach.

Adkins, who serves as the director of recruiting, assumes full control of the line after working with UT's tight ends and assisting with the offensive line for the past three seasons.

"I'm pleased to have Greg take on the duties as the offensive line coach," said Fulmer. "He brings lots of energy and intensity to the position and has a great overall knowledge of offensive strategy. He's an excellent coach and will fit well in Coach Cutcliffe's plans."

The Vols still have two assistant coaching positions left to fill.
[snapback]205890[/snapback]​

So much for bringing in new blood!!

So much for new blood.

I assume Fulmer is going to help coach the oline and he is making room on the staff for a special teams coach, rumored to be dale jones.

Rumor was Cutcliffe was going to bring in his staff. I dont believe Adkins ever coached under Cutcliffe. Looks like Fulmer is still calling all the shots pertaining to the staff.

It would have been really hard for Fulmer to lure in an NFL coach back to UT, so hiring an ex head coach like Cutcliffe was probably as good a move as Fulmer could make. New blood, with a new system would have been nice. Fresh ideas is what this team needs, i'm not sure that is happening now.

its official hes OL coach, questionable decission considering he was only in tight ends coach, last time we promoted a tight end coach to offensive line coach he only lasted a year before being fired.

If CUT didn't want Adkins, I don't think FOULMER would have let it happen.

Aside from that, FOULMER is the OL expert, so CUT may have deferred to him.

It just seems a little strange to me, seeing that the guy has never been a college OL coach.

Originally posted by USAF_Vol@Nov 30, 2005 6:47 PM
I just noticed this, he played a lot of college ball :lol:

1989 to 1989.
[snapback]205891[/snapback]​

Apparently thats a typo.

www.phillipfulmer.com states he was a 4 year starter at Marshall on the offensive line and a team captain from 1986-89.

Originally posted by west tn vol fan@Nov 30, 2005 6:54 PM
Did you hear what Rob Smith said when Fulmer fired Stephens?  He was mad.  I hope Adkins can talk him into staying.
[snapback]205938[/snapback]​

rob smith is a great player...but i hope atkins sticks a boot up his hoo-ha for what he said to the media about stephens' release. of course it sucks that coach stephens is gone...of course his players are upset he's leaving, but they don't make managerial decisions and (just like all of us) don't have the executive-level view or credentials to make decisions about who the right man for any particular job is. he may be a great player, but only being a great player leaves you way too far down the totem pole to complain.

having said that i hope rob smith comes back next year and has little or no reasons to complain about coaching decisions

Originally posted by Liper@Nov 30, 2005 11:05 PM
If CUT didn't want Adkins, I don't think FOULMER would have let it happen.

Aside from that, FOULMER is the OL expert, so CUT may have deferred to him.

It just seems a little strange to me, seeing that the guy has never been a college OL coach.
[snapback]206142[/snapback]​

I was a little surprised Fulmer wanted to break inassistant coaches new to their postition.

Apparently he was a 4 year starter at the OL line at Marshall so maybe it wont be a problem.

From what I've been able to read, Cutcliffe never played college ball, a little surprising.

Originally posted by utvols82@Nov 30, 2005 10:29 PM
What exactly did Rob Smith say anyway?
[snapback]206189[/snapback]​

Had the quote handy for a few days, cant find it now. In a nutshell, Rob was upset that there was no mention of JRS losing his job prior to the KY game. Again im not quoting, But JRS had called him (Smith) on his way home from Lexington and told him that he had been fired/released from the staff.

Im a Rob Smith fan, but i took it as Rob was more upset that he was being told over the telephone by JRS, he came across as more surprised than angry. Arron Sears was much more vocal about the decision.

I have to believe both Smith/Sears were upset by the fact there was no meeting with the O-line or team prior to the news breaking to the public.

Adkins has been spread thin since joining the staff. TE coach, asst O-line, recruiting coordinator. Im confident "put it on our shoulders" Smith/Sears return in 06. :cross:

Originally posted by oklavol@Nov 30, 2005 10:19 PM
Apparently thats a typo.

www.phillipfulmer.com states he was a 4 year starter at Marshall on the offensive line and a team captain from 1986-89.
[snapback]206166[/snapback]​

Ahh who cares. Still funny though.

VN Store

Back