Oklahoma seeking a bye before Tennessee

Whether or not the Sooners actually end up playing Missouri State, the simple fact that they're actively working to play games earlier than initially planned should serve as proof-positive that there's going to be college football this fall.
same with the ACC & ND talking

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Whether or not the Sooners actually end up playing Missouri State, the simple fact that they're actively working to play games earlier than initially planned should serve as proof-positive that there's going to be college football this fall.
My favorite take yet!

It just makes good sense. Move up, have extra gap weeks. Not fewer. Pushing back and having 11 games is no bueno. Push up and have 6-10 games with gaps.

Hope we move Charlotte up too.

Oklahoma just had a wave of unprecedented luck, getting 3 excellent QB transfers that were trained & molded by someone else. Now, for the first time, Lincoln Riley has to get a young QB up to speed on his own. Riley is afraid, and is about to be exposed.

This. Riley would much rather be game planning and preparing for UT for two weeks instead of a weak Missouri State tying up his resources before a big game. They are trying to find an edge regardless of whether or not they are currently favored.

I think our DL and OL is big, physical, deep and experienced. Problematic for any opponent as to what to expect from this UT team going into the year. Combine that will the QB dynamic you mentioned.

Defense was still coming together in those first four losses, played better the rest of the year. Against Bama, one touchdown was JG bad play resulting in Bama defensive touchdown, another Bama touchdown was after clear bad call against Taylor with Bama 3rd and 10 on their own 24, should have been 4th and 10 and punt but penalty gave them 1st down which then led to TD. Another bad 2nd down pass interference may have stopped a TD, but that is unknown. At any rate, defense can only be credited with giving up 21 points to Bama. So from Miss State on they really only gave up 21 points. Dline should be better, Dbacks better, LB may lack depth, but we will see, assuming we actually have football. GBO.

I would add a surprising Kentucky team that ran a modified option attack. They had two weeks to prepare for UT and we still went on the road and beat them. The same Kentucky team that was hard to stop on offense late in the season.

We will miss our best 3 players that impacts all levels of the defense but I think this team gained a lot of confidence down the stretch and those good players on the roster are starting to development. There aree some depth issues at LB but it gives rise to opportunity.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
This. Riley would much rather be game planning and preparing for UT for two weeks instead of a weak Missouri State tying up his resources before a big game. They are trying to find an edge regardless of whether or not they are currently favored.

I think our DL and OL is big, physical, deep and experienced. Problematic for any opponent as to what to expect from this UT team going into the year. Combine that will the QB dynamic you mentioned.
Riley knows that Covid19 is not stopping the Vols from rolling in for some ass whipping revenge! By them making this change speaks volumes to their concerns and it hasn't got a damn thing to do with a virus!

Reactions: BreatheUT
Riley knows that Covid19 is not stopping the Vols from rolling in for some ass whipping revenge! By them making this change speaks volumes to their concerns and it hasn't got a damn thing to do with a virus!
You can believe what you want to believe but the intention is to give the team some breathing room before conference play in case players test positive. We will have 2 open dates before the first conference game. I'm sure Tennessee will be a tough opponent but at home I like our chances.

You can believe what you want to believe but the intention is to give the team some breathing room before conference play in case players test positive. We will have 2 open dates before the first conference game. I'm sure Tennessee will be a tough opponent but at home I like our chances.
I would normally agree with you but to me the team with all the experience basically at every position will win an early season game of this level. UT 34 Sooners 17. Breaking in a new QB against our defense is going to be a rough go. You are not breaking in a grad transfer with 3-4 yrs experience already this time.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
It's not going to matter if there's no fans in the seats.

I agree that home field advantage is less of a factor w/o fans in the stands but just being at home with no travel involved has some benefit. As far as the game itself is concerned, OU returns 16 starters from last year including its entire O-line. We are incredibly deep at all the skill positions. Rattler has an entire RS year under his belt, as much as both Mayfield and Murray had and more than Hurts had. Granted Hurts came with lots of experience at Alabama but neither Mayfield logged a lot of experience at either TT or A&M. Rattler was the #1 rated dual-threat QB coming out of Pinnacle H.S. in Arizona. He is being coached by an acknowledged QB whisperer. We will be in our 2nd year in our new D scheme which made huge progress from 2018. I realize the way Tennessee finished 2019 and the talent you have returning gives you optimism but theres a reason many have us pre-season ranked in the top 4. It should be a great game. I was in Knoxville in 2015 and it was a singular college football experience.

I agree that home field advantage is less of a factor w/o fans in the stands but just being at home with no travel involved has some benefit. As far as the game itself is concerned, OU returns 16 starters from last year including its entire O-line. We are incredibly deep at all the skill positions. Rattler has an entire RS year under his belt, as much as both Mayfield and Murray had and more than Hurts had. Granted Hurts came with lots of experience at Alabama but neither Mayfield logged a lot of experience at either TT or A&M. Rattler was the #1 rated dual-threat QB coming out of Pinnacle H.S. in Arizona. He is being coached by an acknowledged QB whisperer. We will be in our 2nd year in our new D scheme which made huge progress from 2018. I realize the way Tennessee finished 2019 and the talent you have returning gives you optimism but theres a reason many have us pre-season ranked in the top 4. It should be a great game. I was in Knoxville in 2015 and it was a singular college football experience.
JG was also the number 1 rated dual threat QB 5 yrs ago 4*. I like our chances!

Reactions: Remy
Is this confirmed?

Allegedly, this is what most (though not all) ADs were in favor of at a meeting on Wednesday. There will be a discussion/vote among SEC Presidents today, who at first blush would seem even more likely than ADs to support a totally internal season, but I still struggle to envision a scenario where SEC schools aren't permitted one OOC game that (unlike the ACC) doesn't necessarily have to be played within the confines of their state.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/29/sec-football-schedule-news-conference-only

VN Store

Back