Oklahoma Potential Replacements (2025)

Me thinks, Cincy, Duke, or Eastern Carolina. I can not remember when we last faced a BIG 10 team during the season. And I've got a feeling whoever they schedule, it won't be a home and home. If I could wave my magic wand, who would I schedule? Probably a home and home with Notre Dame, UCLA, or Clemson.
I never remember a BIG 10 team playing in Neyland with the exception of Penn St. and that was when they were an independent.

One thing to consider is the effect that the expanded 12 team playoff will have on scheduling. Programs can be much bolder in scheduling OOC because losing to a good team won't be nearly as detrimental to your NC hopes. There will be 3-loss teams in the playoff. Last year, Utah was 10-3 heading into the bowl season and ranked #11 in the final college football playoff rankings (the final one is released at the end of the regular season and is not updated after the postseason). Utah would have been in the playoffs. In 2020, Florida was #7 and Iowa State was #10 in the final playoff ranking, each with 3 losses. Hell, in some years, an SEC team might get in with 4 losses if one of them is in the SECCG, given the strength of, and respect for, the conference.

So while yes, the SEC is likely going to a 9-game conference schedule, there's really no need to avoid playing a good power 5 school instead of an App State or MTSU or UT Martin. The power 5 school gets you more exposure, TV ratings, and losing it doesn't hurt you as much as it might've in the past (especially if it's early in the season, where most of UT's open OOC slots are).

I think back to when I was a kid and Tennessee never scheduled these mid-major schools. The 1985 Sugar Vols, for example, played 6 SEC games and 5 non-conference opponents: UCLA, Wake, Georgia Tech, Rutgers, and Memphis State. Memphis is the only one that would be considered non Power 5 today.

Hell, I'd love to see that UCLA series renewed. But Nebraska would be my top choice. We owe them some payback.

I vote for Northwestern. Great memory of the last time we played them. Northwestern whining because Evan Berry returned an interception 100yd for TD instead of taking a knee. Would like to put 50+ on them next time.

Teams that have not full-filled their schedules for the 2025 season.

Top Tier- Penn St., Stanford, Utah, Oklahoma St., Cincinnati, TCU

Mid-Tier- Houston, SMU, Rutgers, Northwestern, UCF, Duke, Washington St., UTSA

Low-Tier- Georgia Southern, James Madison, Ohio, Kent St., Liberty, UTEP, Rice, North Texas, MTSU, Florida Atlantic, East Carolina, Tulsa.

Bottom Tier- All FCS schools.

I would love to play one of the top tier teams but would settle for Houston or UCF match up. If low-tier then lets go with Liberty or James Madison.
Just my opinion, but I'd rather play a lower Power-5 team than a G5 team on the rise or with more to play for. A team like Cincinnati or Liberty is scary because they play like they've got nothing to lose AND play like they expect to win. Bring on Northwestern, Schiano, Duke, Washington State, etc.

We have a nice slate of P5 OOC opponents for the next 8 seasons:

2023: UVA (Nashville)
2024: Open
2025: Syracuse (Atlanta)
2026: at Nebraska
2027: Nebraska
2028: WVU (Charlotte)
2029: Washington
2030: at Washington

I live in Nashville, so I’ll definitely be there versus UVA, and I’d like to make the trips out to Nebraska & Washington in the coming years.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
No, no and no. We gain nothing playing them. I wouldn’t schedule them in tiddlywinks.
I personally would love to see us play Memphis. Give us west Tn fans a short drive to see the Vols play and also give the west Tn recruits and Memphis recruits a short drive to see them.

We have a nice slate of P5 OOC opponents for the next 8 seasons:

2023: UVA (Nashville)
2024: Open
2025: Syracuse (Atlanta)
2026: at Nebraska
2027: Nebraska
2028: WVU (Charlotte)
2029: Washington
2030: at Washington

I live in Nashville, so I’ll definitely be there versus UVA, and I’d like to make the trips out to Nebraska & Washington in the coming years.
I wish the WVU game was a H&H. Tired of these neutral site games.

Oklahoma needs to replace that COACH!!!

TCU hanging 55 on them with 14mins left in 4th quarter? They gonna put 65 or 70 on em??? Hahahahahahahahaha

Reactions: hjeagle1vol
Oklahoma needs to replace that COACH!!!

TCU hanging 55 on them with 14mins left in 4th quarter? They gonna put 65 or 70 on em??? Hahahahahahahahaha
We better lock CJH into a long term 7.5M contract so they can’t steal him away when Coach Vegetables fails miserably

Last edited:

VN Store

Back