'20 OH RB Mike Drennen

Looks like they updated measurables...Rivals and Hudl have him listed 5'11" 190lbs and 195 on 247.

Impressive list of offers even though he averaged just 4.9 ypc last season:

The 5-foot-11, 195-pound Drennen is almost built more like a wide receiver, and he plays very well in space. He can catch well, and he’s very hard to bring down one-on-one. Just from watching his film, I almost think his higher ceiling in college might be at slot receiver, but he definitely has plenty of skill just as a running back, too. Don’t let his slight frame fool you, though; Drennen is plenty tough and can bounce off defenders like they’re nothing.

As a junior for Dublin Coffman, Drennen rushed for 801 yards and 11 touchdowns on 162 carries and caught 30 passes for 464 yards and five scores. He was named to the Second Team All-State team, First Team All-District team, and All-OCC-Central team.

Vols Offer Two Four-Star Running Backs in 2020 Class | Rocky Top Insider

Looks like Drennen has bulked up his "slight" frame since last fall:

1550669268699.png

With his school being right outside Columbus, Drennen has been a frequent visitor at Ohio State and the Buckeyes have offered. Michigan and Penn State have also offered, setting up a potential Big Ten East battle. Drennen said in January at the Under Armour Future 50 that all three schools are high in the running. "My mom is a big Ohio State fan, so if I went there, it would make her proud. I have to consider them,” he said. “Michigan, I just like Michigan, I don't know why — I just do. Penn State probably because of running backs like Saquon Barkley; I just want to be like them.”

What Drennen II has on many other backs is his receiving skills. They have been on display at several camps, where he has shown the quickness to gain separation and the hands to make the plays when the ball arrives. In addition to that, he is a 3.7 student in the classroom who carries that intelligence onto the field. “He has been blessed with certain skills,” Crabtree said. “But the quality that stands out is, he really understands the game. He is very football savvy. He knows how to play the game. Then he is also good in space, can track a ball while it’s in the air and make adjustments. He has a high football IQ, and is a good classroom student as well. Also, the bigger the game, the better he plays. He has all the things necessary, in my view, to be a really good football player at the next level.”

Trieu: Michigan to battle Big Ten foes for 'football-savvy' RB Michael Drennen II

A solid 6 of those teams are not recruiting him hard. Not sure if we’re one or not

This. I'd be surprised if we are doing much here. This is an extremely weak class in Ohio when it comes to high end guys. After the Top 2 guys, who IMO are Paris Johnson and Joe Royer, there is a huge drop off.

Reactions: tennvols77

VN Store

Back