Oh my!!!

It is a very obvious and uncanny resemblance.

Let's break it down. First they have a similar rural Tennessee accent but beyond that I think we are seeing something common among women of KJH's generation.

KJH, like other 20 something women in the 1990's, did not have a lot of clear role models and mentors who were strong women leaders.

In CPS, then KJ probably had her first truly powerful, in charge, executive leader type mentor. So, she made CPS her role model and probably engaged in a lot of conscious and unconscious rehearsal of how CPS carried herself. After a while, the rehearsals become routine and suddenly CPS is incorporated into KJH's persona.

I am not saying she is trying to be Pat but that Pat provided her the model of how to be an in-charge female leader.

All in all, I think it is pretty cool. If you are going to emulate anyone, you can't do any better than CPS.

Good analogy. Hope she’s successful and
my gut tells me she will be. Not sure how anyone could have watched that intro presser and not want to root for her.

While it’s not uncommon for folks from the same region in Tennessee to have the same accent and even some of the same mannerisms, it really IS uncanny how closely Kellie and Pat resemble in voice and mannerisms. It’s NOT something that Kellie has put on, either, but simply that unmistakable Middle Tennessee accent and the confident body movements of someone who had strong, proud Tennesseans for parents.

Kellie isn’t Pat, even if she sounds and (occasionally) reminds us of her in her manner.... but, by GAWD, Kellie is smart enough and driven enough and Tennessee-PROUD enough to make for damn sure that she leads this program with all the best guidance she’s learned from ALL the wise mentors she’s had in her life, beginning with her beloved dad, her first coach.
Best comment I've heard on their resemblance. And, I believe she reminded folks at her presser that she is not Pat she is Kellie. Happy she did so. Let's allow to be Kellie.

I don't know if it's just my eyes playin tricks on me or what but I can see Pat in Harper. Her voice, her demeanor, facial features......... I just want her to succeed and bring back our Lady VOLS program to where it should be!!!
I thought EXACTLY the same thing when I saw her at the press conference. It Gave me goose bumps.

To me, it is kind of gross always comparing her to Pat. As for her mentor and mannerisms, maybe she got those from her mother who was a basketball coach.

I am excited and I hope she takes this team back to prominence but I am also very skeptical. I'll wait and see how she does next year and hope to see a much better team..

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
It is a very obvious and uncanny resemblance.

Let's break it down. First they have a similar rural Tennessee accent but beyond that I think we are seeing something common among women of KJH's generation.

KJH, like other 20 something women in the 1990's, did not have a lot of clear role models and mentors who were strong women leaders.

In CPS, then KJ probably had her first truly powerful, in charge, executive leader type mentor. So, she made CPS her role model and probably engaged in a lot of conscious and unconscious rehearsal of how CPS carried herself. After a while, the rehearsals become routine and suddenly CPS is incorporated into KJH's persona.

I am not saying she is trying to be Pat but that Pat provided her the model of how to be an in-charge female leader.

All in all, I think it is pretty cool. If you are going to emulate anyone, you can't do any better than CPS.

Pretty deep stuff for simple minded me. But as simple minded as I am, the bottom line of what you say to me is "she reminds you (and many of us) of PAT.":)

I't won't matter how much she looks like, or acts like, Pat, if she don't win, it won't last long. She better win. And by win, I mean win now.

Reactions: volman128
I't won't matter how much she looks like, or acts like, Pat, if she don't win, it won't last long. She better win. And by win, I mean win now.
I think the LadyVols will win 21-24 games this coming season and be a #4-#6 Seed in the NCAA Tournament.

We're happy to have high hopes again for the Lady Vols. Certainly everyone should be wishing that our new HC will be very successful. She's got the pedigree and she knows the expectations of heading the Ladies, so she's aware of the pressure. Good luck and we'll support you 100%!

I have been thinking when someone would state that Kelly looks a lot like Pat,and also has a country sound in her voice.I was thinking of sending her a note and tell her to get in front of a mirror and practice the stare Pat use to put on when she was displeased.I have no idea how well she will do in wins and losses,but I believe she will put her heart and soul in it and that's all you can ask!!!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I have been thinking when someone would state that Kelly looks a lot like Pat,and also has a country sound in her voice.I was thinking of sending her a note and tell her to get in front of a mirror and practice the stare Pat use to put on when she was displeased.I have no idea how well she will do in wins and losses,but I believe she will put her heart and soul in it and that's all you can ask!!!

IN a radio interview this morning, she was asked if she ever works on the stare. JKH then told a story about one time when coaching at MissST. she got really angry at one of her players and fell into a "stare" mode; her team won the game and afterwards, her player pointed out that she looked just like CPS. Kelly laughed and made the point is not a look she wants to emulate; it worked for Pat but it is not her. Smart move, emulation can only go so far before it verges into being a caricature.

Reactions: Lurker
That guy is a fake, the original "I'm gonna whup your a$$" guy was the best.
Roy D. Mercer is a fictional character created by disc jockeys Brent Douglas and Phil Stone on radio station KMOD-FM in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Brent Douglas, who performs Mercer's voice, uses the character as a vehicle for comedy sketches in which he performs prank calls. Twelve Roy D. Mercer albums have been released, all on Capitol Records Nashville or Virgin Records Nashville.

Many claim that Roy D. Mercer was inspired by "Leroy Mercer," a character created in Tennessee by Knoxville resident John Bean, who made prank calls circulated by hand-to-hand tape exchange in the early 1980s. Leroy Mercer, voiced by John Bean, also called individuals and businesses threatening an "ass-whuppin". There are many parallels and similarities to the calls, with Roy D. Mercer using many of the former Leroy Mercer's lines. John Bean died from cancer in his early 30's in 1984; Stone and Douglas said that they originally invented their Roy D. Mercer character in 1990 before his official creation in 1993, and that part of the name and lines used in Roy D. Mercer's recordings was copied from John Bean

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Making her Pat could set her up for failure. Please, let's not do that. As great as Pat was, Kellie is going to play against much better competition. Pat set the table for the women's game to expand and excel in many programs that either didn't exist or were sub standard. Let's let Kellie be Kellie, get behind her and see what happens.

A coach who doesn’t sit on the end of the bench laid back in the seat with her arms crossed?

Definitely be an adjustment period here to Tennessee

VN Store

Back