Offsides Penalty on 1st Onside Kick (Pic)

Oh, I missed the part where they walked off the penalty and made ANNOUNCEMENT! Thanks for clearing that up (sarcasm). They never announced the penalty because it was not called. They must ANNOUNCE the penalty.

I know it's real difficult to understand. The ref threw the flag immediately.The penalty would have been declined. This has been addressed multiple times in this thread.

No they do not have to announce a penalty to the crowd. Read the thread and learn.

The only valid point of centention in this thread is whether or not there was a player offsides. That is a judgment call. Whether or not they should call it or not on an onside kick could be debated but I firmly believe it should be considering the short distance involved.

Oh, I missed the part where they walked off the penalty and made ANNOUNCEMENT! Thanks for clearing that up (sarcasm). They never announced the penalty because it was not called. They must ANNOUNCE the penalty.

The penalty was absolutely announced before the review. The ref paused for a couple seconds between the calls, possibly trying to get a number to announce for the offsides and giving up once he realized he wasn't going to be able to hear the other ref. This is 100% me guessing on why there was a pause between the calls. The TV broadcast cut away as soon as he cut his mic off after the touching penalty and didn't show the second announcement and it was hard to hear in the stadium. The radio broadcast had the entire announcement pretty clearly.

So, if the ref's mic goes dead, the officials can't issue any more penalties for the rest of the game?

I know this post is buried deep in the thread but i just rewatched the play. They called a penalty of illegal touching. The "expert referee" pipes up and says the offisdes cannot be reviewed. There was NO offsides penalty called. I did not see one player offsides on the kick. It couldnt have been medley because they didnt call it on the second kick. . . .i honestly dont know

But the ref threw the flag instantly so IDK how Herb and the ref with them didn't know that it was called...

But there was NO offsides. Again we get screwed.

Reactions: 1 person
But the ref threw the flag instantly so IDK how Herb and the ref with them didn't know that it was called...

But there was NO offsides. Again we get screwed.

There was no offsides but that's what the flag was thrown for. How that ref saw offsides that quickly I have no idea. Bad call.

Reactions: 2 people
I think we all agree it was a bad call. As Rocky Goode said, offsides is called when the other side has an unfair advantage. It is very clear no advantage was had by UT. Why the ref thought there was an unfair advantage? No idea. None of the replays show any advantage to UT as all players were behind the line. Nobody was way over the line, if anything maybe a hand or piece of helmet. That is certainly no unfair advantage.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we all agree it was a bad call. As Rocky Goode said, offsides is called when the other side has an unfair advantage. It is very clear no advantage was had by UT. Why the ref thought there was an unfair advantage? No idea. None of the replays show any advantage to UT as all players were behind the line. Nobody was way over the line, if anything maybe a hand or piece of helmet. That is certainly no unfair advantage.
I dont see why anyone could be so certain to throw thw flag unless half a body was across and it was obvious. It happened so quickly and he threw the flag so quickly how was it an obvious offsides?

Conspiracy I tell ya

Can everybody stop saying "kicker" please. If you are just making a wild guess and aren't sure of the rules than research before you comment!

Did the NCAA ever look at this? Or what?

Plays get sent in to the SEC every week. They review them and then the officiating crews go over them the next week when they get together for their next assignments. You won't hear anything beyond that.

Has there been a response from the SEC office regarding the tape that was sent?

Yes. But it's not public.

I was told the explanation was that it was judged off sides because a player broke the plane (even though there is no such rule) therefore giving him an advantage. Only because it was an on side kick, it would've been ignored if it were kicked deep (which also, there are no different rules depending on how hard the kicker kicks it). The claim is that, while it's not written specifically, it falls under the umbrella of official judgement.

Should've just said, "It was a bad call. Sorry."

I'm on the side that believes this was a very poor call and took the game out of the players hands. That's happened way too much to us.

That said, this needs to die. We're going bowling. Leave it in the past! Nothing we can do about it now.

VN Store

Back