Offsides Penalty on 1st Onside Kick (Pic)

Anyone who doesn't understand exactly what happened at this point is just choosing not to, as we've literally had 15 pages of explanation.

The offsides was called when the flag was thrown as soon as the kick was made. The announcement by the ref is just for the fan experience. It's not official as the refs do not owe us an explanation.

That is so stupid. The officials are supposed to communicate. The senior NFL official says:

“The calling official makes the preliminary signal,” Riveron explains. “The official who threw the flag signals the foul and points to the offending team. The wing officials then report the foul to the head coaches. The coach (of the offended team) then makes the decision whether or accept or decline the penalty,” he added.

Penalty enforcement is an entire-crew effort | Football Zebras

To say they don't have to call or signal the foul is just dumb. That's thier job. They owe us the signal or call and an explanation to the coach.

Reactions: 1 person
I just watched the replay and the official only said illegal touching. Offsides was not said until after the review. If people try to say he called offsides before the review, they didn't watch the game. That is the reason it was so confusing, it was never called, that's why the tv commentators were wondering why the official didn't call offsides.

If anyone argues that the ref simply thought he didn't have to announce the penalty, that's one of the dumbest arguments made so far. Its their job to call the penalty, in this case they only called illegal touching which they reviewed and overturned. Only after that did they also call offsides. Terrible reffing but they have been bad all season.

You whiny guys all act as though the TV audience is the most important group involved in the game. It's laughable.

The Refs have to worry about actual participants in the sport. Which would not be you.

You whiny guys all act as though the TV audience is the most important group involved in the game. It's laughable.

The Refs have to worry about actual participants in the sport. Which would not be you.

Um, yeah, some of us were at the game. I'm guessing the refs are supposed to let someone know what their flag is for? If it was signaled, none of us saw it.

Um, yeah, some of us were at the game. I'm guessing the refs are supposed to let someone know what their flag is for? If it was signaled, none of us saw it.

Answer me this. If the official would have said to the audience of SPECTATORS there was a penalty for offsides before the ball was illegally touched and the offsides penalty was declined, then the play was reviewad, what would have changed?

I said earlier, he didn't communicate to the fans well. But that is ask it is. Why are you guys so entitled to and explanation.

Last edited:
Answer me this. If the official would have said to the audience there was a penalty for offsides before the ball was illegally touched and the offsides penalty was declined, then the play was reviewad, what would have changed?

I said earlier, he didn't communicate to the fans well. But that is ask it is. Why are you guys so entitled to and explanation.

I didn't really mean talking into the microphone to tell fans. Are you saying they aren't accountable to anyone that isn't on the field? They don't have to communicate to someone (in the booth, or whoever is keeping up with what the refs are doing) that there is some issue?

If anyone argues that the ref simply thought he didn't have to announce the penalty, that's one of the dumbest arguments made so far. Its their job to call the penalty, in this case they only called illegal touching which they reviewed and overturned. Only after that did they also call offsides. Terrible reffing but they have been bad all season.

Any dumber than a spectator feeling entitled to an explanation and then not accepting the logical explanation?

I didn't really mean talking into the microphone to tell fans. Are you saying they aren't accountable to anyone that isn't on the field? They don't have to communicate to someone (in the booth, or whoever is keeping up with what the refs are doing) that there is some issue?

How do you know the coaches weren't informed?

I'm sorry, I only saw what appeared to a statement with a question mark after it. I took it as a rhetorical question.

As far as the reporting to the booth. I am not sure what all has to be reported to them. I know much of the rules issues are kept on the field. I am sure it would help if they did and make people feel more in tune to what's going on. I don't think it creates a big issue if they don't. Especially when it is something that is obviously going to be declined.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I only saw what appeared to a statement with a question mark after it. I took it as a rhetorical question.

So, again, I'm wondering if the refs are accountable for the flags they throw, and who do they have to signal to that they have witnessed an infraction of some sort, and when do they have to make that knowledge known?

So, again, I'm wondering if the refs are accountable for the flags they throw, and who do they have to signal to that they have witnessed an infraction of some sort, and when do they have to make that knowledge known?

I edited to address you question at the same time as you posted this.

Let me ask you the same thing, what would have changed?

Answer me this. If the official would have said to the audience of SPECTATORS there was a penalty for offsides before the ball was illegally touched and the offsides penalty was declined, then the play was reviewad, what would have changed?

All due respect but football IS a spectator sport. I never thought that identifying penalties and other information critical to the outcome of the game was optional. Go ahead and ask CBS, ESPN or any other network who pays to cover these games if they don't expect the crowd to be told what is going on.

That's one of the officiating crew's responsibilities.

It seems to me that unless it is blatantly obvious, you don't call offsides in this situation. As other posters have stated, there is offsides on almost every kickoff. Since it appears that no one is offsides, I cannot imagine what the ref might have seen. Maybe they put a point of emphasis on watching for offside on onside kicks, but I would think it would still have to be obvious. It almost seems that he had decided there was gonna be an offside foul and threw the flag when it was close, but was not a foul. I am sure that Rocky Goode will clear it all up for everyone tomorrow on Sports Talk :confused: I agree that it unlikely that we go down and score and tie it up with a TD and a two point conversion, and we did get outplayed, but I still think that they botched this particular call.

It was signaled and announced in the stadium. Unfortunately, it came after the illegal touching announcement and that a review was to be done. By the time he came back on, everyone was watching the video board and booing the call. It was announced before the review was done, though. My section talked about the offsides during the entire review wait.

Apparently, the ESPN broadcast missed it too. They were also likely reviewing the replay then too. The officials aren't accountable for ESPN's miss and can't possibly know it was missed for those griping about the broadcast.

It seems to me that unless it is blatantly obvious, you don't call offsides in this situation. As other posters have stated, there is offsides on almost every kickoff. Since it appears that no one is offsides, I cannot imagine what the ref might have seen. Maybe they put a point of emphasis on watching for offside on onside kicks, but I would think it would still have to be obvious. It almost seems that he had decided there was gonna be an offside foul and threw the flag when it was close, but was not a foul. I am sure that Rocky Goode will clear it all up for everyone tomorrow on Sports Talk :confused: I agree that it unlikely that we go down and score and tie it up with a TD and a two point conversion, and we did get outplayed, but I still think that they botched this particular call.

I suspect they watch it closer and call it closer in obvious onside kick situations.

It was signaled and announced in the stadium. Unfortunately, it came after the illegal touching announcement and that a review was to be done. By the time he came back on, everyone was watching the video board and booing the call. It was announced before the review was done, though. My section talked about the offsides during the entire review wait.

Apparently, the ESPN broadcast missed it too. They were also likely reviewing the replay then too. The officials aren't accountable for ESPN's miss and can't possibly know it was missed for those griping about the broadcast.

There's your answer vollygirl. Do you accept it?

As far as the reporting to the booth. I am not sure what all has to be reported to them. I know much of the rules issues are kept on the field. I am sure it would help if they did and make people feel more in tune to what's going on. I don't think it creates a big issue if they don't. Especially when it is something that is obviously going to be declined.

I guess I'm trying to figure out who the refs are accountable to? Making "people" feel more in tune isn't what I'm talking about. And I do think it creates a huge issue if they don't. Someone, I would think, is keeping them accountable? Like, ensuring that they are following their own rules and doing things correctly? It's a pretty big deal.

One quick point on this, if I may. Those "SPECTATORS" are why the refs have a job. Without us, they wouldn't have a paycheck. :hi:

Which section were you in?

VN Store

Back