Official Thread of the St. Louis Cardinals

$11m for a #3 isn't a bad move. I still expect them to sign one of scherzer or stroman.

I could see them checking in on both considering neither one has a QO attached.

I think a more affordable, slightly younger option like Jon Gray would be better. Gray is probably going to cost about $14 million per season (instead of the $23-$40 million range of Stroman & Scherzer), no QO attached, and has a high GB%/low BB/9 like Matz. That's the profile they are looking for with all the defensive talent we have.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I respectfully disagree. He doesn’t walk a lot of batters and forces a ton of ground balls. He’s the perfect compliment for our defense.

$11m for a #3 isn't a bad move. I still expect them to sign one of scherzer or stroman.

He’s on the wrong side of 30, he has career FIP of over 4, had an expected ERA of over 4 last year and has a below average K rate. The AAV isn’t bad but the four years is crazy

He’s on the wrong side of 30, he has career FIP of over 4, had an expected ERA of over 4 last year and has a below average K rate. The AAV isn’t bad but the four years is crazy
yea but that's kinda what you'd expect from a #3 or #4 assuming we add another pitcher.

he's got a good defense behind him and the NLC is pretty weak. If you're analytics guy, the analytics had him at around 3y/39m so it's not much of an overpay.

yea but that's kinda what you'd expect from a #3 or #4 assuming we add another pitcher.

he's got a good defense behind him and the NLC is pretty weak. If you're analytics guy, the analytics had him at around 3y/39m so it's not much of an overpay.

I am an analytics guys and your defense should help since he’s a GB pitcher I agree. If that’s 2 years/$30M it’s a solid deal. I just think a four year commitment to him is insane.

He's not very far past 30. He turns 31 next May. I agree that 3 years would've been better but it probably would've pushed the AAV up to his projected $14 million, so it's really not much difference. His horrible 2020 season killed his FIP. If you watched him the 2020 season, he was trying to K more hitters and the result was a major increase in HR's. He went back to attempting to force more ground balls in 2021 and his numbers were great, especially considering he was in the AL East.

I am an analytics guys and your defense should help since he’s a GB pitcher I agree. If that’s 2 years/$30M it’s a solid deal. I just think a four year commitment to him is insane.
yea not thrilled about the years either but you're not gonna get a "healthy" 31 year old pitcher on a 2 year deal. cards seem to do well with signing like this.

i'm a huge critic of the FO, but i could take or leave this.

Now, if it's their *only* move, we riot

Reactions: SycloneJoe
That’s a horrific signing
I think he can be a good one here. I think he will come to play with Waino and co. I also think that he is going to enjoy pitching with Yadi behind the plate. If a pitcher hasn’t pitched with Yadi, I’m sure they will enjoy it. What pitcher wouldn’t?

Apparently with the Matz signing, the Cardinals are out of the SP market. That came from Goold. He said the Cardinals came into the offseason looking for a fifth starter and they got that in Matz. Maybe the Cardinals sign a SS but that doesn't sound likely. I have no faith in this front office to do anything else this offseason. And the lockout is about to start soon and a likely transaction freeze.

They hinted that they're done spending at SP & SS. I expect to see them add some bullpen help and roll with what we've got.
It's boring but better than being tied to some of these crazy contracts we've seen other teams hand out lately.
I do agree about the crazy contracts going out. I’m starting to get the hint that Garcia will be back. Now, since I’ve been wanting a SS, I guess that isn’t going to happen. We need a veteran batter I would think, and a good one at that.

I do agree about the crazy contracts going out. I’m starting to get the hint that Garcia will be back. Now, since I’ve been wanting a SS, I guess that isn’t going to happen. We need a veteran batter I would think, and a good one at that.

I expect Garcia to resign soon too. The bullpen was a huge problem for most of last season.

I'm ok with waiting until the deadline so you can see what young guys like Gorman & Yepez look like. Nootbar & Sosa are nice depth. We really need DeJong to get healthy and go back to hitting .240+/30 HR.

I expect Garcia to resign soon too. The bullpen was a huge problem for most of last season.

I'm ok with waiting until the deadline so you can see what young guys like Gorman & Yepez look like. Nootbar & Sosa are nice depth. We really need DeJong to get healthy and go back to hitting .240+/30 HR.
Sounds like the Padres have reached out to Garcia, but we will see. I hope they can sure up the bullpen, and keep reaching out to relievers. I hope Dejong can get it right, if we are going to go this route? I am anxious though to see what Gorman and Yepez does here. As far as Trevor Story, I wonder if we’re even going to try to get him?

With the lockout going on, I wonder if the front office is looking over on what they can do with the free agency market? They can take their time and choose on what they need. It’s a perfect situation to have more time to study every single position, on the field. May they choose wisely. Or like I always say “come on do something.”

With the lockout going on, I wonder if the front office is looking over on what they can do with the free agency market? They can take their time and choose on what they need. It’s a perfect situation to have more time to study every single position, on the field. May they choose wisely. Or like I always say “come on do something.”
I'd like to think that they are but I have my doubts. I thought I read a few weeks ago that the Cards thought their roster was pretty much set except for maybe another bullpen piece.

Never know what that Redbirds’ FO and ownership is going to do. Usually their MO is standing pat and hoping a bargain falls in their laps. I think DeJong is a head case in that he just thinks too much. They need good production there this year……if there is a “this year.”

VN Store

Back