Lady Vols (6 seed) Portland Regional

Or you could. But I'm not. I'm genuinely curious why folks who think the magical time out is the cure all think it's fallen so out of favor the last few years, if not for statistics.

Didn't mean to get off on this again; beefing about time outs is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Coach, you finished 0-32 this season,. Give us one reason why we should not fire you?

I took all my available TOs every game to stop the other teams' runs but they just never stopped. It makes no sense!!!

Okay then, you did all that was humanely possible. Here is your 5 year extension.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Friday 2/9/24 Update:

Where we currently stand: LAST FOUR BYES
NET ranking: 49
Current ODDS to make the NCAAs: 65%
Trending: Down (-2 lines from last release)
View attachment 618708
View attachment 618709
View attachment 618711

Net ranking stayed the same even with the loss due to Alabama's strong net. Our SOS increased by one to 11.
Current odds of post-season selection remains unchanged at 65% due to a weak bubble behind us. Next week's Arkansas game is a must win or we will dip below 50% odds.
SOS is fixin to go up in the next 6 games, by a good bit. That will play in the LV’s favor on selection day when they are compared against other teams with weak SOS’s.

IMO it's way more likely we beat Vandy there than beat either LSU or SC. This is just not a team that gets hot and pulls an upset We can't even get hot and put together a string of consistent play. Nothing carries over. I said last year, it's 50 first dates with the Lady Vols. You never know what you're going to get game to game in spite of what may have happened before. The only thing consistent is the spectacular, maddening, inconsistency.

I still think we'd better off landing 5th in SEC than 4th. Looks like we may need the extra game to secure getting in the tourney. Also, I just don't want to get hammered by SC for a third time in a few weeks in the semis, which is exactly what's going to happen to whoever is the 4 seed. If we go in wo the bye and lose the first game, it's best the season end there.
Vanderbilt vs Tennessee could be a play in game loser might done.
When was the last time that game matter like it might when they play.?

Coach, you finished 0-32 this season,. Give us one reason why we should not fire you?

I took all my available TOs every game to stop the other teams' runs but they just never stopped. It makes no sense!!!

Okay then, you did all that was humanely possible. Here is your 5 year extension.
Could I receive a $500,000 dollar raise with that extension?

I don’t know if we make the NCAA or not. But I am confident in only 2 more wins in the last 6. So we will need to win 2 in the SECT.
WOULD LOVE TO BEAT vandy at Vandy then upset LSU.

It's not their egos
It is a P5 thing
P5 schools keep their status by being P5 schools.
And P5 has protocols.

If we, as an org, even consider playing in the NIT...then TN has lost who it is, who it was and who we will be
I believe in taking a step back sometimes,,,but not falling back on purpose.

NIT, lets give everyone a tournament to make them feel good about themselves.
Lets call the NIT what it is,,,A participation tournament
lets give out badges
View attachment 618620
I would hope they would turn down an
NIT invitation.

Reactions: Tnphil and Rooster1
my thought exactly mud
Shea Ralph is slowly building back a respectable team. Still we should take them down. Need each game we can get as Dawn's team will win twice. LSU will be seeking revenge. So what's left? Don't have my schedule in front of the eyeballs.

Am alone in thinking we should not turn down an NIT if we miss the NCAA?

Is it below us? Nope, we aren't having one bad year, that's where we are, it would be all we've earned. Kind of childish to turn up our noses at any post season invite.

I would thank the seniors for their service and say, if you're returning, next year's evaluations start now, and give a ton of minutes to the end of the bench players. I'd parry that into what we need in the portal. Some players might be encouraged to go elsewhere.

Am alone in thinking we should not turn down an NIT if we miss the NCAA?

Is it below us? Nope, we aren't having one bad year, that's where we are, it would be all we've earned. Kind of childish to turn up our noses at any post season invite.

I would thank the seniors for their service and say, if you're returning, next year's evaluations start now, and give a ton of minutes to the end of the bench players. I'd parry that into what we need in the portal. Some players might be encouraged to go elsewhere.
We shouldn’t need a NIT to have evaluations. If we are in the NIT the evaluations have already spoken.

Last edited:
SOS is fixin to go up in the next 6 games, by a good bit. That will play in the LV’s favor on selection day when they are compared against other teams with weak SOS’s.
Don’t the lady Vols have to win these games to make it worthwhile?

right!
You don't make the dance, you don't get to dance
Conversely, it is a strangely petulant position to say "that the tournament we qualified for is beneath us!!!"

You are as only good as you are. If a team has an inflated self-image, time to let the air out of the balloon.

Responsibility is lying in the bed you made, if the LVs don't want to play in the NIT then do something about it.

I am still confident that the LVS will make it in as a low seed but if they don't, the Danny White should let one of the non-Harper assistants run the NIT show as an audition.

Reactions: brittannica
Conversely, it is a strangely petulant position to say "that the tournament we qualified for is beneath us!!!"

You are as only good as you are. If a team has an inflated self-image, time to let the air out of the balloon.

Responsibility is lying in the bed you made, if the LVs don't want to play in the NIT then do something about it.

I am still confident that the LVS will make it in as a low seed but if they don't, the Danny White should let one of the non-Harper assistants run the NIT show as an audition.
Mad, LV’s are in imo.

its simply not done
in P5 schools it is alright to accept an NIT offer if your are in the first couple of seasons (A coaching rebuild for example),,,,we're beyond that...Time to see results

This is the Tennessee Lady Vols,,,.
Some things are beneath us
and it needs to stay that way

Projected top ten pre-season,,,with a WNBA lottery pick on the floor
heck No,
You don't reward that from
that!

Last edited:
its simply not done
in P5 schools it is alright to accept an NIT offer if your are in the first couple of seasons (A coaching rebuild for example),,,,we're beyond that...Time to see results

This is the Tennessee Lady Vols,,,.
Some things are beneath us
and it needs to stay that way

Projected top ten pre-season,,,with a WNBA lottery pick on the floor
heck No,
You don't reward that from
that!

Who said playing in the NIT is a "reward?" Some might say that not playing is not accepting the consequences of your actions.

Again, I think this all hypothetical. LVs are most likely going to qualify for the NCAAA. But maybe they should turn that down because "barely qualifying" would also presumably be beneath the program?

It is a tricky, slippery slope to proclaim that you are something more than you actually are.

Much better to say, we ARE here in this crappy spot; now let's get effin' better starting now!

Who said playing in the NIT is a "reward?" Some might say that not playing is not accepting the consequences of your actions.

Again, I think this all hypothetical. LVs are most likely going to qualify for the NCAAA. But maybe they should turn that down because "barely qualifying" would also presumably be beneath the program?

It is a tricky, slippery slope to proclaim that you are something more than you actually are.

Much better to say, we ARE here in this crappy spot; now let's get effin' better starting now!
I've always said if your season ends up meriting the WNIT, that's where you should play. You're not "too good for it" if your record warrants it, regardless of your program history.

That said, I wouldn't want them to accept the bid this year. No possibility a lottery pick with a recent history of injury plays in that tourney just before the draft. And playing it without her is not likely to do anything but add fuel to the fire and be further discouraging.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back