ARK
SC
Vandy
LSU
TAMU
SC

3 hard games; SCx2, LSU
2 very winnable games Ark, TAMU
2 ulterior motive games: ALA (it makes their season to ruin ours) Vandy (their chance to prove they're legitimate will be by beating the LV's).

I see us winning four
1 of 3
2 of 2
1 of 2

18-10
Barely in,,,that said, there is no room for an added loss
This loss makes the winning of one of the 3 SC/LSU games,,,an absolute.
I figured we'd lose one of the emotional games (figured it'd be Vandy though) ((still do)).
that said, tourney hopes lie on the rest of the season going 4-2
that means winnig 2 of 3 (Ark, Vandy, TAMU)
and doing the impossible (it seems),,,winning one against a highly ranked opponent.

We'll see
And for those of you thinking "NIT",,,,consider,,,Only a handful of P5 teams with coaches beyond their third year EVER opted to do the NIT...

Hope someone looks this one up.
I was told to consider this about P5's and the NIT
Only coaches rebuilding in P5's can play in it and not be scrutinized

Reactions: brittannica
And for those of you thinking "NIT",,,,consider,,,Only a handful of P5 teams with coaches beyond their third year EVER opted to do the NIT...

Ummmmm, shouldn't this be more about what's best for the student-athletes than for the coach? Afterall, these are the players' precious few college years -- this is THEIR time, not the coach's. Most will never play again after their college days are over.

It kinda turns my stomach to think that a coach would turn down an opportunity for their players to enjoy possibly a few more games because they're protecting THEIR fragile egos.

Gross.

Here is what it looks like need to win home games versus Texas A&M and Arkansas and might get in as a 10 or 11 seed. Beat Vandy as well on the road more like a 10 seed. Win any of the others like one of them 8 seed all three could get you all the way to a five or six seed. If we just win the two home games going to be a close call as far as the tourney. If we win those two and Vandy were in as a low seed. Any other win puts us in and of course winning in the tourney at least one game is certainly needed.
Got to get to 18 wins likely in .
19 wins most likely gets Tennessee volunteers in NCAA tournament
17 wins Tennessee volunteers will need alot help from other teams

This loss makes the winning of one of the 3 SC/LSU games,,,an absolute.
I figured we'd lose one of the emotional games (figured it'd be Vandy though) ((still do)).
that said, tourney hopes lie on the rest of the season going 4-2
that means winnig 2 of 3 (Ark, Vandy, TAMU)
and doing the impossible (it seems),,,winning one against a highly ranked opponent.

We'll see

3-3 plus one SEC tournament win is a must gets Tennessee to 18 wins better than fifty percent chance makes the NCAA tournament.
19 wins Tennessee volunteers more likely in for sure.

Reactions: krichunaka
Ummmmm, shouldn't this be more about what's best for the student-athletes than for the coach? Afterall, these are the players' precious few college years -- this is THEIR time, not the coach's. Most will never play again after their college days are over.

It kinda turns my stomach to think that a coach would turn down an opportunity for their players to enjoy possibly a few more games because they're protecting THEIR fragile egos.

Gross.
It's not their egos
It is a P5 thing
P5 schools keep their status by being P5 schools.
And P5 has protocols.

If we, as an org, even consider playing in the NIT...then TN has lost who it is, who it was and who we will be
I believe in taking a step back sometimes,,,but not falling back on purpose.

NIT, lets give everyone a tournament to make them feel good about themselves.
Lets call the NIT what it is,,,A participation tournament
lets give out badges
1707484567537.png

3-3 plus one SEC tournament win is a must gets Tennessee to 18 wins better than fifty percent chance makes the NCAA tournament.
19 wins Tennessee volunteers more likely in for sure.
3-3....shall we lower it to
2-4 and a tie?

For the sake of the players I hope we make the tournament so they can control their own destiny in that way.

For my own selfish reasons I hope this coaching staff does not make the tournament. I think White would have no other choice but to move on from the current situation.

Also feel like making the tournament will be a consolation prize rather than an accomplishment this season. We have done nothing with our season so far. Beat a bakers dozen of mediocre teams, lost to several mediocre or worse teams and have beaten exactly ‘nobody’ at this point.

If we played OU again we would lose. They were still trying to sort things out losing their star just before the season to a shoulder injury. They have now done that because they have a decent coach and have been playing really well.

Kay Yow always said, “When life kicks you, let it kick you forward.” This group gets kicked, feels sorry for their self and then asks to be kicked again. Infuriating product to watch and I put it squarely on the coaching staff. Primarily the head coach. The behaviors and habits you get out of your team are the behaviors and habits you allow. Kellie allows far too much loose play, laziness and softness to ever break into the upper echelon of coaches in WCBB.

IMO it's way more likely we beat Vandy there than beat either LSU or SC. This is just not a team that gets hot and pulls an upset We can't even get hot and put together a string of consistent play. Nothing carries over. I said last year, it's 50 first dates with the Lady Vols. You never know what you're going to get game to game in spite of what may have happened before. The only thing consistent is the spectacular, maddening, inconsistency.

I still think we'd better off landing 5th in SEC than 4th. Looks like we may need the extra game to secure getting in the tourney. Also, I just don't want to get hammered by SC for a third time in a few weeks in the semis, which is exactly what's going to happen to whoever is the 4 seed. If we go in wo the bye and lose the first game, it's best the season end there.

IMO it's way more likely we beat Vandy there than beat either LSU or SC. This is just not a team that gets hot and pulls an upset We can't even get hot and put together a string of consistent play. Nothing carries over. I said last year, it's 50 first dates with the Lady Vols. You never know what you're going to get game to game in spite of what may have happened before. The only thing consistent is the spectacular, maddening, inconsistency.

I still think we'd better off landing 5th in SEC than 4th. Looks like we may need the extra game to secure getting in the tourney. Also, I just don't want to get hammered by SC for a third time in a few weeks in the semis, which is exactly what's going to happen to whoever is the 4 seed. If we go in wo the bye and lose the first game, it's best the season end there.

If we are relaying a team with a number in front of their name we are losing that game this season. Period. This team comes in defeated against any opponent they even think might be better than them.

AND CALL MOMENTUM CHANGING TIME OUTS.
Most major college coaches, including Rick Barnes, no longer believe time outs change momentum. Some still do it, and all do it occassionally, but few do it all the time. Their analytics have shown them it is more likely to waste a t.o. you'll need later than it is to stop a run. While the coach getting run on is screaming at his already downtrodden team, the guys on the run are getting a rest, a pat on the back, and a mini celebration. Stats have shown changing the lineup or changing offenses or defenses is more effective at stopping runs.

Most major college coaches, including Rick Barnes, no longer believe time outs change momentum. Some still do it, and all do it occassionally, but few do it all the time. Their analytics have shown them it is more likely to waste a t.o. you'll need later than it is to stop a run. While the coach getting run on is screaming at his already downtrodden team, the guys on the run are getting a rest, a pat on the back, and a mini celebration. Stats have shown changing the lineup or changing offenses or defenses is more effective at stopping runs.
analytics?
show me some analytics on this matter...,,,some actual data
1707486733326.png

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
Well hope and pray for a foul shot or media TO then.

Reactions: Dansky
analytics?
show me some analytics on this matter...,,,
We showed you those last year when we had this frequent discussion and you know it. I'm not digging them out again. Besides, it not for analytics, why do think coaches like Rick Barnes and Geno don't believe in the magical t.o. anymore? It's not just Kellie by far, it's many major coaches.

Reactions: Jjohns14
We showed you those last year when we had this frequent discussion and you know it. I'm not digging them out again. Besides, it not for analytics, why do think coaches like Rick Barnes and Geno don't believe in the magical t.o. anymore? It's not just Kellie by far, it's many major coaches.
theres a search box to help you find it quickly

theres a search box to help you find it quickly
Or you could. But I'm not. I'm genuinely curious why folks who think the magical time out is the cure all think it's fallen so out of favor the last few years, if not for statistics.

Didn't mean to get off on this again; beefing about time outs is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Or you could. But I'm not. I'm genuinely curious why folks who think the magical time out is the cure all think it's fallen so out of favor the last few years, if not for statistics.

Didn't mean to get off on this again; beefing about time outs is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Time-out theory is very overrated.

Reactions: Jjohns14 and glv98
Good coaches need their team to figure things out on their own instead of calling a timeout every time things are going bad. It is determined by how good the other team is, and if a timeout is really needed to calm a team down. Good player leadership, especially if they are a PG can change the flow of the game to stop a run. Of course, sometimes they can't, in which time a TO is needed. As I said, depends on the opponent, so if it can be avoided, the coach would much rather save the TOs for the end of the quarters.

TN is 14-7 with 7 games left:
ALA
ARK
SC
Vandy
LSU
TAMU
SC

3 hard games; SCx2, LSU
2 very winnable games Ark, TAMU
2 ulterior motive games: ALA (it makes their season to ruin ours) Vandy (their chance to prove they're legitimate will be by beating the LV's).

I see us winning four
1 of 3
2 of 2
1 of 2

18-10
Barely in,,,that said, there is no room for an added loss
Getting harder to see 1 of 3 after last night CJ.

Good coaches need their team to figure things out on their own instead of calling a timeout every time things are going bad. It is determined by how good the other team is, and if a timeout is really needed to calm a team down. Good player leadership, especially if they are a PG can change the flow of the game to stop a run. Of course, sometimes they can't, in which time a TO is needed. As I said, depends on the opponent, so if it can be avoided, the coach would much rather save the TOs for the end of the quarters.
So basically, you just said timeouts are not needed by good coaches unless and until they are needed.

Last edited:
If we do not make the tournament, I would hope AD would decline a WNIT invite, either before or after he fires the current staff.

Friday 2/9/24 Update:

Where we currently stand: LAST FOUR BYES
NET ranking: 49
Current ODDS to make the NCAAs: 65%
Trending: Down (-2 lines from last release)
LV 2:9.jpg
LV 2.jpg
LV3.jpg

Net ranking stayed the same even with the loss due to Alabama's strong net. Our SOS increased by one to 11.
Current odds of post-season selection remains unchanged at 65% due to a weak bubble behind us. Next week's Arkansas game is a must win or we will dip below 50% odds.

VN Store

Back