Official Jon Gruden Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, that's what I'm saying. They couldn't get him a waiver unless they were ready to announce he would be the coach right? And they wouldn't do that with an interim in for the rest of the season or with Butch still there.

Was Urban able to recruit while still working in the booth?

Yes he was. It was a little controversial at the time because he was a college commentator. JG wouldn't have that issue, though the same rules (talking about players on the air) would apply.

He won't get that permission until he's announced, which would likely happen shortly after publicly letting Jones go. Those two are linked in respect to timing.

Reactions: 3 people
Just the way it'll go down. I've heard both names as interim. I'm leaning toward the possibility of Fulmer...though two weeks ago I would have suggested that would never happen.

Not gonna lie, I think it would be good for the program in A LOT of ways.

Booster support of Currie.
Fan enthusiasm.
Healing some wounds between Currie and Fulmer.
Not to mention the impact of having a died in the wool, honest to goodness, die hard, UT man influence our current players for a while.

I stated this before, but, have you ever heard the difference between Butch led maxims and Fulmer led maxims? Case in point:
Butch:
Tennessee's Butch Jones recites the maxims with his team (CBS) Tennessee football coach Bu - YouTube

Fulmer:
Fulmer Pre-Game Speech, 2001, vs Florida. - YouTube

Just my opinions and thoughts.

Reactions: 7 people
Just the way it'll go down. I've heard both names as interim. I'm leaning toward the possibility of Fulmer...though two weeks ago I would have suggested that would never happen.

I'm not against the idea of him being interim. With that said, I think Fulmer had hurt feelings for sometime, those issues have been resolved, I feel he's in a happy place again feeling productive within the UT family. My concern, is that "if" he won out the rest of the season, would he hope deep down they would keep him? He has enough age on him, he may truly not be interested.

See, that's what I'm saying. They couldn't get him a waiver unless they were ready to announce he would be the coach right? And they wouldn't do that with an interim in for the rest of the season or with Butch still there.

They could announce him as HC for next year with an interim in charge. Right?

As much as I soured on Fulmer, it would be good in a nostalgic sort of way to see him coach a few games...so long as it was just a few games.

Reactions: 6 people
Yes he was. It was a little controversial at the time because he was a college commentator. JG wouldn't have that issue, though the same rules (talking about players on the air) would apply.

He won't get that permission until he's announced, which would likely happen shortly after publicly letting Jones go. Those two are linked in respect to timing.

OH ok. So, I'd be cool with Fulmer as interim in that case...either or. If Gruden had already been announced, then Fulmer would know there's no option of him squeezing in to stay.

For the record, I like Fulmer a lot. I also love my Momma but that don't mean she should coach at UT.

Reactions: 4 people

If i remember correctly, Ohio St got a waiver for Urban to recruit while the interim staff coached.
We'd hope for the same treatment.

I have no clue what the Grude is going to do but i do have a question that i think is interesting and could spark good convo....

Gruden is no stranger to this program. He has visited numerous times at games and at practice. Every time he is at practice or a game he is supporting some kind of vols gear. Even in his social media pictures when he wishes vols good luck he has some vols gear on.

My question- why would he not be wearing anything Saturday while at the game. He had on FFCA visor and a black shirt. He loves the vols this is no secret why not have some sort of orange on? No power T, nothing. And why wouldn't he be/on the field? He has been before. He and Butch have had dealings before and he was on the field. Seems like to me if I'm Butch i want him on the field just for recruiting purposes!

I'm just sitting back looking at the situation with Gruden with realistic glasses (don't get me wrong i want him here and i am hoping you guys with knowledge aren't bs us) but it just seems odd to me that he was where he was sitting and not having any UT stuff on!!

Just an observation...

SOON.....i hope!!

GBO!!!

I'm not big on the subliminal message theories (there were a lot of them in 2012), but I do think it is kind of odd that he is clearly a Vol fan yet wears no orange or other support gear Saturday when he has done it in the past.

I'm not against the idea of him being interim. With that said, I think Fulmer had hurt feelings for sometime, those issues have been resolved, I feel he's in a happy place again feeling productive within the UT family. My concern, is that "if" he won out the rest of the season, would he hope deep down they would keep him? He has enough age on him, he may truly not be interested.
IMO he wouldn't be named interim without the new coach being officially named. It makes for good press for everyone involved. Hero comes home to help, and sets the table for our hero to come marching home. We need all the good press we can get, and these stories write themselves.

Reactions: 14 people
I don't know that it will happen...depends on who you talk to. But the name is out there.

Is that staff still so divided that it would be hard to pick one from either side of the ball.

Plus they're really trying to bring fulmers camp in on this in every way. which was one of the hang ups last time, since Gruden is a Johnny guy.

Reactions: 1 person
Boro, DTO, others in the know...let's say everything goes smoothly and JG and the AD are good to go. They know he will be the next coach, he knows he will be the next coach, Butch knows it, Hoke knows it, Fulmer, etc...

Would it be possible at all that he or any new coach is on the sidelines this season? Even if Butch is released, I'd think an interim would finish out the season and no official coach would be announced maybe until just before the bowl game. My thinking is that Gruden may be telling them to hold off and let Butch finish the season and possibly leave with some dignity. Gruden would finish out the season with MNF and allow ESPN to find a replacement and he would move back to Knoxville and get to work recruiting for 2019 and establishing his staff and schemes. That could be why there are reports from Hyams and others that Butch will indeed finish the season.

I'd be okay with this for the most part. Big dreams of winning a natty, SEC, or even the east are already gone. Might as well let Butch try to make a bowl game and compete for a job elsewhere. Save some money on the buyout. The only hangup would be our 2018 recruits.

IF this were the case, the recruits would know he was coming and the recruiting would take care of its self in my opinion. Would be no harm to the 2018 class.

Reactions: 3 people
Is this something you've heard? Seems plausible.

I haven't heard anything. It just seems logical. ESPN hired Ryan back in the spring. I saw an article about it where it was speculated that Ryan might have been hired as an insurance policy for Gruden should he bolt to return to coaching. Even apart from what you and others are sharing, a Gruden hire makes a lot of sense right now. Think about..

How is MNF/ESPN doing? How long has Gruden been there? How popular is the NFL currently vs. the college game? He's on record as saying he still has the coaching bug.I'm not buying that he's strictly an NFL guy. Harbaugh went the college route after NFL success.
He has ties to Tennessee. What is his family situation?

Not gonna lie, I think it would be good for the program in A LOT of ways.

Booster support of Currie.
Fan enthusiasm.
Healing some wounds between Currie and Fulmer.
Not to mention the impact of having a died in the wool, honest to goodness, die hard, UT man influence our current players for a while.

I stated this before, but, have you ever heard the difference between Butch led maxims and Fulmer led maxims? Case in point:
Butch:
Tennessee's Butch Jones recites the maxims with his team (CBS) Tennessee football coach Bu - YouTube

Fulmer:
Fulmer Pre-Game Speech, 2001, vs Florida. - YouTube

Just my opinions and thoughts.

These are good points. You get a VFL to straighten the team out. Maybe bring some passion back to the Hill.

Hoke makes more sense to me, but it is the Gruden thread.....

IMO he wouldn't be named interim without the new coach being officially named. It makes for good press for everyone involved. Hero comes home to help, and sets the table for our hero to come marching home. We need all the good press we can get, and these stories write themselves.

Sounds good in theory, interesting to see how people process the idea of different situations....:)

Is that staff still so divided that it would be hard to pick one from either side of the ball.

Plus they're really trying to bring fulmers camp in on this in every way. which was one of the hang ups last time, since Gruden is a Johnny guy.

From what I heard yes. But if butch is gone it may remedy itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back