Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it say about a coach when they are an assistant for 20 years before they get a HC job? To me, it says they either have no initiative to go to the next level, or no one sees enough talent in them to offer them a job unless they are desperate.. Like Louisville. Hoping UT doesn't make the same mistake.

You mean like this man who was assistant for 14 years?

Pittsburgh Steelers (1981–1983) (defensive backs coach)
Pittsburgh Steelers (1984–1988) (defensive coordinator)
Kansas City Chiefs (1989–1991) (defensive backs coach)
Minnesota Vikings (1992–1995) (defensive coordinator)

It's likely a presser to update us on the transparency in this "open" coaching search.

Doubtful anything of any gravity is discussed.

Reactions: 4 people
You mean like this man who was assistant for 14 years?

Pittsburgh Steelers (1981–1983) (defensive backs coach)
Pittsburgh Steelers (1984–1988) (defensive coordinator)
Kansas City Chiefs (1989–1991) (defensive backs coach)
Minnesota Vikings (1992–1995) (defensive coordinator)

Strong is not Dungy.

This is my first post to any forum or chat room or whatever so it's going to be long. Sorry.

I don't know what you all consider a "source",but I believe that the proverbial "smokescreen" is an accurate theory based on a phone conversation with a brother-in-law to a former Vols HC(married to the coach's sister. Not named Kiffin or Dooly!

This man was salesman for a company where i was employed for 6 years. I built a good relationship with him, even to the point of him offering to pay for a college education if i would go back to finish. I say that only show a level of trust and familiarity with one another. Here's how the conversation went after 15 minutes of asking about he and his wife's health and so on.

Me: So what are we to do with our Mighty Vols? We're sinking here.
Him: We have to get a man that will bring top talent. We're losing in state players to our main rivals.
-another line or two concerning talent between us.

Me: What in the world are going to do for a coach?
Him: Well it ain't going to a good one but we'll hear no later than next Mon. Hart is in NY right now at the conference but should be end of this week or next Mon.
Me: I don't see good talent coming without a good one. It is shame we let Gruden fall through like we did.

Him: Uh...yeah...i....i hate to...i can't...I would hate for you to quote me.
Me: Oh....ok.
Him: Buddy boy it was great hearing from you got to go.

That being said I'll tell you this man is never at a loss for words. Unless he's frustrated or nervous or mad. I believe i caught him of guard and he bottled. The call was over less than a minute after the question.

My opinion is that if he knew anything about a coach(not a good one) he would have elaborated if there were no swirling controversy. Furthermore, if the Gruden deal fell through cleanly he would have confirmed whatever story was put out there!

as i said this man is a brother-in-law to former Vols HC and he played football there circa 1970. He knows. SMOKESCREEN!!!!

GRUDEN OR BUST BABY
ROCKY TOP!
repost for late risers

Strong is not Dungy.

Not saying he is but just that the argument is subjective not an absolute..I do not want Strong..gundy etc

..Boro why at this time would they choose to have presser?.Seems the following of Gundy Strong and others with Hubbs has been doing the trick for delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back