Official Jon Gruden Thread 37

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gruden is hired and walks across the Tennessee River to coach the Vols. Will chants of Gruden Gruden replace dilly dilly?

Enjoy... I'm not sure there is much more for me to find out at the moment. I'll let you know if I hear anything new, but at this point I believe we're just waiting for an announcement.

Buyout:
  • Buyout terms were agreed upon prior to the Tampa meeting.
  • Don't know the exact terms, but was told that it is "very open on both ends" allowing both sides an easy exit.
  • Gruden's agent initially wanted them to have a liquidated-damages clause of 0 and Tennessee wanted a mutual buyout. This was the eventual compromise.

Endorsements:
  • Since first contact a major source of contention has been Gruden's current and future endorsements.
  • Frankly I don't think my two sources know how this ended up turning out and they acted like it may still be an issue.
  • As best as I understand it, Gruden does not want Tennessee meddling in his endorsements, while Tennessee is adamant that he will need to drop endorsements.
  • I got the feeling money wasn't the issue, but it was more of an issue of principle with Gruden.

Additional contract info I picked up:
  • Gruden has an out-clause on his ESPN contract. No buyout.
  • Was told a contract length of 4 years by one person, other did not know.
  • 3 leased vehicles.
  • "Around 25" season tickets.
  • Bonus of 1m.
  • Not as heavily incentivized as rumors have said. Base salary is pretty close to total salary.
  • Around 9m with around 1.5m in bonuses.
  • I wasn't given exact numbers on the salary so I would take that number with a grain of salt.

Staff:
  • Most of the staff-related issues I referenced two days ago I found out centered around Tee Martin.
  • Gruden has placed a great deal of importance on Tee due to his recruiting prowess.
  • Gruden has made it clear that he does not want to be on the road recruiting every single free night, and he feels (whether right or wrong), that having Tee on staff will take a lot of that pressure off of him.
  • When Tee was contacted 2 weeks ago it appeared as if there would be little to no resistance on either side if Gruden was hired. Things became complicated late last week when Tee was contacted by Georgia Southern. Another source I talked to said he's also been contacted by UTEP, but I'm not as confident in that source.
  • Tee is currently in limbo and no one I talked to knows who a potential replacement would be.

Timing:
  • Gruden has no interest in coaching this year.
  • He will not coach vs. Vanderbilt regardless of when an announcement is made.
  • If we somehow win the next 2 games he would coach in the bowl.
  • Due to that he prefers an official announcement on 11/28, with controlled leaks beginning on 11/26.
  • As of 2 days ago the AD had pushed for an announcement on 11/21 with controlled leaks beginning on 11/20.
  • Not sure what they've agreed on to be honest.

Source Confidence that deal is done:
  • I was able to talk to 2 of my 3 sources face-to-face yesterday and they both say that the deal is done.
  • Last time I talked to my main source they seemed confident as well.
  • I have no reason to doubt them.

Only thing that scares me in all of this is Gruden not wanting to recruit hard himself.

Reactions: 1 person
Mullen is definitely better than what we've had here. But I don't want to settle for just better than what we've had. Since what we've had was hot garbage. He's 14-5 against the East since taking over State. But 7 of those wins have come against UK. That just doesn't move the needle for me. Unfortunately I don't make these decisions.

Well, the kids must be out of the bed on logging onto VN. Later Grudes.

Go Vols

Get Gruden

Meh, not really. I'm the same as I've ever been. What's changed is the thread has a little more meat to it.

I called this thread a an absurd cultist circle jerk because that's exactly what it was. Beaver gonna get Gruden hired as part of his Socialogy Ph.D, and if you call that dumb, you are anti Gruden.

Your tune has changed.

Just pointing it out. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
Since it's been a while...

1. He doesn't recruit, has not turned on field success into recruiting and does not seem willing to try to recruit
2. He makes no attempt to improve the facilities at Moo State
3. Is barely above Jones in SEC record. Don't care if it's in the West either because they have had some ****ty teams as well
4. Is perfectly content and the fan base, AD and boosters are perfectly content to let him earn his $4.5 million a year getting 6-8 wins and the Egg Bowl trophy every once in a while
5. Combine the above and he is not worth the money it's going to take to get him out of Starkville

But wait! There's more!

Special offer! If you call now, you also get "other teams have passed on him in the past. Probably for very good reasons. Why should UT take that chance?"

1. Has avg recruiting rank of 25th over last 5 years.
2. Who cares
3. 9 of his 32 SEC victories are against Kentucky.
4.&5. He makes 4.91 million per year. Would have to give him a raise to come here. We would be the laughing stock if we paid him what? 6-7 million per year? Is a SEC loser worth that?

Enjoy... I'm not sure there is much more for me to find out at the moment. I'll let you know if I hear anything new, but at this point I believe we're just waiting for an announcement.

Buyout:
  • Don't know the exact terms, but was told that it is "very open on both ends" allowing both sides an easy exit.
  • Gruden's agent initially wanted them to have a liquidated-damages clause of 0 and Tennessee wanted a mutual buyout. This was the eventual compromise.

Endorsements:
  • Since first contact a major source of contention has been Gruden's current and future endorsements.
  • Frankly I don't think my two sources know how this ended up turning out and they acted like it may still be an issue.
  • As best as I understand it, Gruden does not want Tennessee meddling in his endorsements, while Tennessee is adamant that he will need to drop endorsements.
  • I got the feeling money wasn't the issue, but it was more of an issue of principle with Gruden.

• 3 leased vehicles.
  • Bonus of 1m.
  • Not as heavily incentivized as rumors have said. Base salary is pretty close to total salary.
  • I wasn't given exact numbers on the salary so I would take that number with a grain of salt.

Staff:
  • Most of the staff-related issues I referenced two days ago I found out centered around Tee Martin.
  • Gruden has placed a great deal of importance on Tee due to his recruiting prowess.
  • Gruden has made it clear that he does not want to be on the road recruiting every single free night, and he feels (whether right or wrong), that having Tee on staff will take a lot of that pressure off of him.
  • When Tee was contacted 2 weeks ago it appeared as if there would be little to no resistance on either side if Gruden was hired. Things became complicated late last week when Tee was contacted by Georgia Southern. Another source I talked to said he's also been contacted by UTEP, but I'm not as confident in that source.
  • Tee is currently in limbo and no one I talked to knows who a potential replacement would be.

Timing:
  • Due to that he prefers an official announcement on 11/28, with controlled leaks beginning on 11/26.
  • As of 2 days ago the AD had pushed for an announcement on 11/21 with controlled leaks beginning on 11/20.

• I was able to talk to 2 of my 3 sources face-to-face yesterday and they both say that the deal is done.

that was money OrangePill!!!!!!!!!

0630d4d8ded416af4ff16aceb2292fd5--money-bags-cash-money.jpg

Reactions: 7 people

Buyout:

Endorsements:

• 3 leased vehicles.
  • Bonus of 1m.

Staff:

Timing:

Thanks for putting out there what you know and not just saying my sources say soon but not giving any information. You're not hiding information in an attempt to save face if it does not turn out how you think it will.

Thanks again.

Reactions: 11 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back