Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

McDaughter did not get into the graduate school in Tokyo. I'm sad for her but happy for me.
I know the feeling Daddio.....on a smaller scale though. When daughter #3 was playing travel softball ...... there were times when we’d be at the park from sunrise to 10p.m. ...... I’d look at the tourney brackets before some of the games and think to myself.... if we lose we win because we’d be out and could go home

Reactions: McDad
I know the feeling Daddio.....on a smaller scale though. When daughter #3 was playing travel softball ...... there were times when we’d be at the park from sunrise to 10p.m. ...... I’d look at the tourney brackets before some of the games and think to myself.... if we lose we win because we’d be out and could go home

Been there done that with baseball.

Families who exist around a child'd travel ball schedule are either profoundly committed or completely insane. I don't think I could have done it.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
Families who exist around a child'd travel ball schedule are either profoundly committed or completely insane. I don't think I could have done it.
We only did the softball thing one season.... it was insane. We only traveled middle Tennessee. Thankfully, she decided she only wanted to play basketball.

Agreed. We did it for years and I was ecstatic when it was over, finally weekends free. Then I began to miss it a little but it passed.

There’s a woman at work who has spent a small fortune on her son playing baseball. Private school, travel ball, scout showcases, etc. She was happy to report he’s in the top 100 shortstops in Georgia. I think they’re going to wind up spending six figures for their kid to get a full ride to Cleveland State. You could have hired your kid amazing tutors for that money and they could be going to an Ivy League school.

There’s a woman at work who has spent a small fortune on her son playing baseball. Private school, travel ball, scout showcases, etc. She was happy to report he’s in the top 100 shortstops in Georgia. I think they’re going to wind up spending six figures for their kid to get a full ride to Cleveland State. You could have hired your kid amazing tutors for that money and they could be going to an Ivy League school.

Full rides in baseball are rare. Baseball only gets something like 11.5 scholarships.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
My 2 youngest do swimming. One is a freshman, the other a 6th grader. They're both on the high school team, and rec team (like little league baseball rec). We did usa swim one year, but wife couldn't handle that much. We do a lot of trips between both teams, some around 2-3 hours. We've had to go to Tifton Georgia twice because my 15 year made state. She actually made it last year also, but couldn't go because she had some cist problems. It's tiring, but I enjoy it, and it keeps my wife active instead of nothing to do but worry about her health.

This is starting to get old guys. Just found out that another classmate died Saturday. I graduated high school with him and his twin sister. He and I made up the best double play combination in history of baseball. He was at short, and I was at second. RIP Buzzard.

I ran into another classmate in town today, and he said that at the last reunion it was stated that over 50 of us were dead. Probably close to 60 of us now out of 223. We are dropping fast.

Last edited:
This is starting to get old guys. Just found out that another classmate died Saturday. I graduated high school with him and his twin sister. He and I made up the best double play combination in history of baseball. He was at short, and I was at second. RIP Buzzard.

I ran into another classmate in town today, and he said that at the last reunion it was stated that over 50 of us were dead. Probably close to 60 of us now out of 223. We are dropping fast.
Sorry to hear that.

That’s sobering bro....you graduate high school in ‘68?

VN Store

Back